DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dr. Dre [FINALLY!] starts working on "Detox" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/342835-dr-dre-%5Bfinally-%5D-starts-working-detox.html)

gerrythedon 01-22-04 05:22 PM

Dr. Dre [FINALLY!] starts working on "Detox"

Dr. Dre just recently started working on his third solo LP, Detox, which is scheduled to be released by Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records in the fourth quarter of 2004.

"I'm actually just starting," Dre told XXL magazine. "I had a couple of joints. But I've been working with some new artists, so I'm starting over. I just started the other day with Eminem."

The LP features guest appearances from 50 Cent, Eminem, Eve, Mary J. Blige and The Game. The production is pretty much handled by Dre himself, but the LP also features production by Denaun Porter, Hi-Tek and Nottz.

"I wanna put like 12 or 13 songs on my album," he said. "And have 12 or 13 singles. So I'm really taking my time with each one. No album fillers or nothing like that. No fast-forwarding."

When asked why it takes him so long to make an album, Dre responds, "I don't really consinder myself an artist. I'm a producer. So I wanna produce new artists. I took a little break and produced the 50 album, then I did the Obie Trice album and D-12. I just like producing, so it takes quite a bit to get me to go in and do something on myself."

from [HITEMUP.com]

Quake1028 01-22-04 06:07 PM

I. Can't. Wait.

:D

Michael T Hudson 01-22-04 08:45 PM

About time. I am so ready for the next Eminem as well.

Applejack 01-22-04 10:23 PM

No Snoop?!? that sucks.

gerrythedon 01-23-04 01:00 AM

Dre & Snoop are not getting along these days.

the aftermath 01-23-04 01:07 AM

12-13 singles? Not a chance in hell.

Looking forward to it still though.

Ergyu 01-23-04 01:21 AM

whats the beef between dre and snoop now?

gerrythedon 01-23-04 01:33 AM

Originally posted by Ergyu
whats the beef between dre and snoop now?
from [RAPNEWSDIRECT.com] -October 2003

According to staff at DPG Recordz Dre and Snoop have had a falling out over Dre's production...heres what was said ;
"Dre n Snoop haven't gotten along since last year...snoop booked studio time for Paid The Cost...Dre didn't show...and this date was booked weeks in advance...come to find out hes in the east working with another artist...

Also, Dre charges Snoop full price for beatz...which sucks for the obvious reasons..

Dre's been flakin' a lot on Snoop..this is the main reason why they don't get along...the JD thing has nothing to do with it...the JD thing was merely publicity..."

I could've told u weeks ago Dre has no production on 213...Warren G struggles to get shit out of his own brother.

gerrythedon 01-23-04 01:37 AM

Originally posted by the aftermath
12-13 singles? Not a chance in hell.

Looking forward to it still though.

It's not like his last album had shit songs. I'm sure that's what he means, like having 12-13 bangin' ass tracks from top to bottom.

Quote:
So I'm really taking my time with each one. No album fillers or nothing like that. No fast-forwarding."

edytwinky 01-23-04 06:52 AM

Can't wait. It should make for a great CD.

Frank TJ Mackey 01-23-04 12:55 PM

I'll always love Dr. Dre's music and I'll always purchase it, but it makes you wonder about all the rotten things people say about him.

He had Dawn Robinson (En Vogue) for a solo album, she walked. He had Rakim and he walked as well.

He had a whole roster of people on that Aftermath distaster of an album, they're all gone.

You wouldn't think he'd be charging Snoop for beats period, especially in exchange for appearing on his albums.

Were it not for Snoop appearing on and dominating the original Chronic record, Dre would "never" have had the reinvention of sales and fans he had in the 1990s.

Michael T Hudson 01-23-04 01:57 PM

I agree with you Frank but Snoop would not have made it without Dre. Dre also put Eminem on the map. I think Dre looks at like a business nothing more nothing less.

MJKTool 01-23-04 02:45 PM

Business is business I say. I'm sure Snoop is not hard up for cash these days. I don't buy many rap albums these days, but I'd definetly buy a *good* Dre album.

SnoopDogg 01-23-04 03:04 PM

Well it sucks that Snoop wont be on the album, but I am sure it will be straight fire.

the aftermath 01-23-04 04:42 PM

Originally posted by gerrythedon
It's not like his last album had shit songs. I'm sure that's what he means, like having 12-13 bangin' ass tracks from top to bottom.
Chronic 2000 wasn't that amazing. Almost every rapper says they'll have bangers from start to finish. Rarely does it live up to the hype.

POWERBOMB 01-23-04 10:45 PM

Detox won't see the light of day for another 3 years. Dre is just funny that way. It is interesting that he already list so many people on a project he just started working on.

DVDHO 01-25-04 02:31 PM

Just like he said though he would rather produce other banging albums then make his own,ive also heard rumors Ice Cube and Busta Rymes are gonna sign with the Aftermath label,so if this happens look for Detox sometime in 2007.

SnoopDogg 01-25-04 11:12 PM

Ice Cube is already on the label, I think.

Dre will be out in a couple years, he keeps on using the beats he has for him self for others. Like, I am pretty sure I heard that the "in the club" beat was actually suppose to be a Detox beat. But he gave it to 50.

Ralph Wiggum 01-26-04 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
You wouldn't think he'd be charging Snoop for beats period, especially in exchange for appearing on his albums.
It's just business.

Isn't a Dr. Dre beat worth a helluva lot more than a Snoop Dogg verse anyway?

Were it not for Snoop appearing on and dominating the original Chronic record, Dre would "never" have had the reinvention of sales and fans he had in the 1990s.
Dre had a career in the music industry before Snoop could even buy a lottery ticket. He launched Snoop, not vice versa.

Snoop's kind of a joke, IMO. He's been a parody of himself for several years now and hasn't had a damn thing to say since "Doggystyle." Frankly, the only time I've ever liked "his" music is when he's collaborated with a hot producer.

gerrythedon 01-26-04 01:16 AM

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
Dre will be out in a couple years, he keeps on using the beats he has for him self for others. Like, I am pretty sure I heard that the "in the club" beat was actually suppose to be a Detox beat. But he gave it to 50.
Yeah, he gave 50 [& G-Unit], Xzibit, Obie, Knoc-turnal and even Mary J. Blige most of his beats that were supposed to be on "Detox".

kurupt 01-27-04 01:33 PM

One of the things that's made The first two Dre albums so good is that they did take a long time. They have the feel of a bunch of guys sitting around the studio, creative juices flowing, making a bunch of music. They take the best 14 or 50 of about 50 or 60 tracks and leak the rest on soundtracks and b-sides (Blunts and Tanquaray...). On the first Dre album his production/artist team included Snoop, Daz and Kurupt, RBX, Nate Dogg, Warren G, DOC, Rage...On 2001 he was with MelMan, Scott Storch, Eminem, Snoop, Nate, Knocturnal, Xzibit, Hittman, 6-2. They don't really feel like solo albums, but masterpieces with Dre as the conductor. I was very excited about Detox because I'd heard that he'd been working with MelMan, Quik, Nate, Snoop, Ice Cube, 50 and the G-Unit, hell, Scott Storch was even quoted a couple of months ago as saying it would be the most musically advanced hip-hop album of all time (and this guy works with the Roots so you'd think that he knows what he's talking about). But now to hear his current lineup of guests and that Denaun Porter (I don't think that I've ever liked one of his productions...although he's better than Em's repetitive ass behind the boards, I guess) is going to help with the production, I can't help but be a little disappointed. I won't hold my breath for a 2004 release, but I still have faith that Dre won't let me down...

Bust 01-27-04 07:31 PM

Surprised he didn't just call it "Chronic 2004" -rolleyes-

gerrythedon 01-30-04 05:24 PM

Update:

The next album from Dr. Dre, The Detox, probably won't hit the street until 2005, said Scott Storch, a co-producer working on the disc. But, he insists, it will be well worth the wait.

"I'd describe it as the most advanced rap album musically and lyrically we'll probably ever have a chance to listen to," he said.

Dre has been working on the LP over the past year, and he and Storch have built dozens of beds of beats, various innovative rhythms and the skeletons for numerous songs, all of which are being fleshed out. No tracks have been titled yet and no final cuts chosen.

"When I work with Dre, he usually does more than 100 records and then picks his favorites," Storch said. "But there are all kinds of new rhythms in there. He always tries to stay a couple of steps ahead of the field. There's gonna be a lot of personal stuff on the album and a lot of hot sh--."

Creating the "most advanced" rap album is no easy task, especially when, like Dre, you're a perfectionist with a reputation as a visionary leader. "Dr. Dre always tries to top his last one," Storch said. "That's why he spends so much time putting them together and they don't come out every five minutes. He puts a lot of time, energy and genius into the stuff."

Like Dre's 1999 album, Dr. Dre 2001, The Detox will feature numerous guest stars. Storch said Eminem, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg and Knoc-Turn'al would record parts as well as newer names like Lloyd Banks, Guvner and Game.

"The whole family is gonna be on there," Storch said. "If not the last Dre album, this is gonna be one of the last Dre albums we're gonna get. So he's putting a lot into it. It's just a matter of making a classic experience“.

[RAPNEWSDIRECT.com]

not surprised by this, but I can wait. I got D12, Game, 50, & EM for this year to hold me over.

Steveweiser 01-30-04 06:43 PM

Originally posted by gerrythedon
Update:

The next album from Dr. Dre, The Detox, probably won't hit the street until 2005, said Scott Storch, a co-producer working on the disc. But, he insists, it will be well worth the wait.

"I'd describe it as the most advanced rap album musically and lyrically we'll probably ever have a chance to listen to," he said.

:lol: Yeah right. Dre has fallen off so hard. He's produced maybe a handful of good beats over the past few years, he's not good at all on the mic, how is this supposed to be the most advanced album ever?

POWERBOMB 01-30-04 11:14 PM

Did anyone read the Source article where several guys claimed they were the driving force producing Dre's last three cd's? I got the impression that Dre isn't able to produce completly on his own. Of course I don't believe all that I read but the article in the Source and the one above where he has a co-producer makes me think their may be some validaty to their claim.