DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dr. Dre [FINALLY!] starts working on "Detox" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/342835-dr-dre-%5Bfinally-%5D-starts-working-detox.html)

gerrythedon 01-22-04 05:22 PM

Dr. Dre [FINALLY!] starts working on "Detox"

Dr. Dre just recently started working on his third solo LP, Detox, which is scheduled to be released by Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records in the fourth quarter of 2004.

"I'm actually just starting," Dre told XXL magazine. "I had a couple of joints. But I've been working with some new artists, so I'm starting over. I just started the other day with Eminem."

The LP features guest appearances from 50 Cent, Eminem, Eve, Mary J. Blige and The Game. The production is pretty much handled by Dre himself, but the LP also features production by Denaun Porter, Hi-Tek and Nottz.

"I wanna put like 12 or 13 songs on my album," he said. "And have 12 or 13 singles. So I'm really taking my time with each one. No album fillers or nothing like that. No fast-forwarding."

When asked why it takes him so long to make an album, Dre responds, "I don't really consinder myself an artist. I'm a producer. So I wanna produce new artists. I took a little break and produced the 50 album, then I did the Obie Trice album and D-12. I just like producing, so it takes quite a bit to get me to go in and do something on myself."

from [HITEMUP.com]

Quake1028 01-22-04 06:07 PM

I. Can't. Wait.

:D

Michael T Hudson 01-22-04 08:45 PM

About time. I am so ready for the next Eminem as well.

Applejack 01-22-04 10:23 PM

No Snoop?!? that sucks.

gerrythedon 01-23-04 01:00 AM

Dre & Snoop are not getting along these days.

the aftermath 01-23-04 01:07 AM

12-13 singles? Not a chance in hell.

Looking forward to it still though.

Ergyu 01-23-04 01:21 AM

whats the beef between dre and snoop now?

gerrythedon 01-23-04 01:33 AM

Originally posted by Ergyu
whats the beef between dre and snoop now?
from [RAPNEWSDIRECT.com] -October 2003

According to staff at DPG Recordz Dre and Snoop have had a falling out over Dre's production...heres what was said ;
"Dre n Snoop haven't gotten along since last year...snoop booked studio time for Paid The Cost...Dre didn't show...and this date was booked weeks in advance...come to find out hes in the east working with another artist...

Also, Dre charges Snoop full price for beatz...which sucks for the obvious reasons..

Dre's been flakin' a lot on Snoop..this is the main reason why they don't get along...the JD thing has nothing to do with it...the JD thing was merely publicity..."

I could've told u weeks ago Dre has no production on 213...Warren G struggles to get shit out of his own brother.

gerrythedon 01-23-04 01:37 AM

Originally posted by the aftermath
12-13 singles? Not a chance in hell.

Looking forward to it still though.

It's not like his last album had shit songs. I'm sure that's what he means, like having 12-13 bangin' ass tracks from top to bottom.

Quote:
So I'm really taking my time with each one. No album fillers or nothing like that. No fast-forwarding."

edytwinky 01-23-04 06:52 AM

Can't wait. It should make for a great CD.

Frank TJ Mackey 01-23-04 12:55 PM

I'll always love Dr. Dre's music and I'll always purchase it, but it makes you wonder about all the rotten things people say about him.

He had Dawn Robinson (En Vogue) for a solo album, she walked. He had Rakim and he walked as well.

He had a whole roster of people on that Aftermath distaster of an album, they're all gone.

You wouldn't think he'd be charging Snoop for beats period, especially in exchange for appearing on his albums.

Were it not for Snoop appearing on and dominating the original Chronic record, Dre would "never" have had the reinvention of sales and fans he had in the 1990s.

Michael T Hudson 01-23-04 01:57 PM

I agree with you Frank but Snoop would not have made it without Dre. Dre also put Eminem on the map. I think Dre looks at like a business nothing more nothing less.

MJKTool 01-23-04 02:45 PM

Business is business I say. I'm sure Snoop is not hard up for cash these days. I don't buy many rap albums these days, but I'd definetly buy a *good* Dre album.

SnoopDogg 01-23-04 03:04 PM

Well it sucks that Snoop wont be on the album, but I am sure it will be straight fire.

the aftermath 01-23-04 04:42 PM

Originally posted by gerrythedon
It's not like his last album had shit songs. I'm sure that's what he means, like having 12-13 bangin' ass tracks from top to bottom.
Chronic 2000 wasn't that amazing. Almost every rapper says they'll have bangers from start to finish. Rarely does it live up to the hype.

POWERBOMB 01-23-04 10:45 PM

Detox won't see the light of day for another 3 years. Dre is just funny that way. It is interesting that he already list so many people on a project he just started working on.

DVDHO 01-25-04 02:31 PM

Just like he said though he would rather produce other banging albums then make his own,ive also heard rumors Ice Cube and Busta Rymes are gonna sign with the Aftermath label,so if this happens look for Detox sometime in 2007.

SnoopDogg 01-25-04 11:12 PM

Ice Cube is already on the label, I think.

Dre will be out in a couple years, he keeps on using the beats he has for him self for others. Like, I am pretty sure I heard that the "in the club" beat was actually suppose to be a Detox beat. But he gave it to 50.

Ralph Wiggum 01-26-04 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
You wouldn't think he'd be charging Snoop for beats period, especially in exchange for appearing on his albums.
It's just business.

Isn't a Dr. Dre beat worth a helluva lot more than a Snoop Dogg verse anyway?

Were it not for Snoop appearing on and dominating the original Chronic record, Dre would "never" have had the reinvention of sales and fans he had in the 1990s.
Dre had a career in the music industry before Snoop could even buy a lottery ticket. He launched Snoop, not vice versa.

Snoop's kind of a joke, IMO. He's been a parody of himself for several years now and hasn't had a damn thing to say since "Doggystyle." Frankly, the only time I've ever liked "his" music is when he's collaborated with a hot producer.

gerrythedon 01-26-04 01:16 AM

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
Dre will be out in a couple years, he keeps on using the beats he has for him self for others. Like, I am pretty sure I heard that the "in the club" beat was actually suppose to be a Detox beat. But he gave it to 50.
Yeah, he gave 50 [& G-Unit], Xzibit, Obie, Knoc-turnal and even Mary J. Blige most of his beats that were supposed to be on "Detox".

kurupt 01-27-04 01:33 PM

One of the things that's made The first two Dre albums so good is that they did take a long time. They have the feel of a bunch of guys sitting around the studio, creative juices flowing, making a bunch of music. They take the best 14 or 50 of about 50 or 60 tracks and leak the rest on soundtracks and b-sides (Blunts and Tanquaray...). On the first Dre album his production/artist team included Snoop, Daz and Kurupt, RBX, Nate Dogg, Warren G, DOC, Rage...On 2001 he was with MelMan, Scott Storch, Eminem, Snoop, Nate, Knocturnal, Xzibit, Hittman, 6-2. They don't really feel like solo albums, but masterpieces with Dre as the conductor. I was very excited about Detox because I'd heard that he'd been working with MelMan, Quik, Nate, Snoop, Ice Cube, 50 and the G-Unit, hell, Scott Storch was even quoted a couple of months ago as saying it would be the most musically advanced hip-hop album of all time (and this guy works with the Roots so you'd think that he knows what he's talking about). But now to hear his current lineup of guests and that Denaun Porter (I don't think that I've ever liked one of his productions...although he's better than Em's repetitive ass behind the boards, I guess) is going to help with the production, I can't help but be a little disappointed. I won't hold my breath for a 2004 release, but I still have faith that Dre won't let me down...

Bust 01-27-04 07:31 PM

Surprised he didn't just call it "Chronic 2004" -rolleyes-

gerrythedon 01-30-04 05:24 PM

Update:

The next album from Dr. Dre, The Detox, probably won't hit the street until 2005, said Scott Storch, a co-producer working on the disc. But, he insists, it will be well worth the wait.

"I'd describe it as the most advanced rap album musically and lyrically we'll probably ever have a chance to listen to," he said.

Dre has been working on the LP over the past year, and he and Storch have built dozens of beds of beats, various innovative rhythms and the skeletons for numerous songs, all of which are being fleshed out. No tracks have been titled yet and no final cuts chosen.

"When I work with Dre, he usually does more than 100 records and then picks his favorites," Storch said. "But there are all kinds of new rhythms in there. He always tries to stay a couple of steps ahead of the field. There's gonna be a lot of personal stuff on the album and a lot of hot sh--."

Creating the "most advanced" rap album is no easy task, especially when, like Dre, you're a perfectionist with a reputation as a visionary leader. "Dr. Dre always tries to top his last one," Storch said. "That's why he spends so much time putting them together and they don't come out every five minutes. He puts a lot of time, energy and genius into the stuff."

Like Dre's 1999 album, Dr. Dre 2001, The Detox will feature numerous guest stars. Storch said Eminem, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg and Knoc-Turn'al would record parts as well as newer names like Lloyd Banks, Guvner and Game.

"The whole family is gonna be on there," Storch said. "If not the last Dre album, this is gonna be one of the last Dre albums we're gonna get. So he's putting a lot into it. It's just a matter of making a classic experience“.

[RAPNEWSDIRECT.com]

not surprised by this, but I can wait. I got D12, Game, 50, & EM for this year to hold me over.

Steveweiser 01-30-04 06:43 PM

Update:

The next album from Dr. Dre, The Detox, probably won't hit the street until 2005, said Scott Storch, a co-producer working on the disc. But, he insists, it will be well worth the wait.

"I'd describe it as the most advanced rap album musically and lyrically we'll probably ever have a chance to listen to," he said.

:lol: Yeah right. Dre has fallen off so hard. He's produced maybe a handful of good beats over the past few years, he's not good at all on the mic, how is this supposed to be the most advanced album ever?

POWERBOMB 01-30-04 11:14 PM

Did anyone read the Source article where several guys claimed they were the driving force producing Dre's last three cd's? I got the impression that Dre isn't able to produce completly on his own. Of course I don't believe all that I read but the article in the Source and the one above where he has a co-producer makes me think their may be some validaty to their claim.

kurupt 01-31-04 07:15 AM

I have read about how Dre produces and he has always had what one might consider co-producers. In NWA he worked with Yella. On the Chronic and Doggystyle he worked with Daz and Warren G. In the Aftermath days, he has worked with Mel-Man, Scott Storch, and others. But the one thing that is consistant is a "Dr. Dre sound". He knows what sounds he wants. He's just not skilled at keyboards or instruments (in most cases he uses live instrumentation and in the case of samples, he usually has them replayed by in house musicians as opposed to straight sampling). While he is not alone in creating the music, it is his "vision" that is expressed and he acts as a conductor. The proof to this is that of all his co-producers, none of their solo productions really sound anywhere near as good as when they worked with dre. Listen to anything that Daz has done without Dre, or Mel-Man. This is much different to what Puffy used to do in his "hay day". He would let one of his producers do a whole track, then he would add a snare or an ad-lib or something and put his name on it.

POWERBOMB 02-01-04 12:28 AM

That maybe true, but not all of Dre's cd's have been hits. I mean, "...Presents the Aftermath" was moderately unsuccessful. I think people just have been used to waiting so long inbetween Dre's cd's that when they come out they sound fresh.

And sure, he has produced other people, but I think it's safe to say the NWA, Snoop, Cube, Em and now 50 are pretty talented in their own right and may have been just as successful with say Mutt Lange.

kurupt 02-01-04 10:11 AM

But you have to remember that he only has production credits on about 4 tracks on "...Presents the Aftermath". When he left Death Row, he left (or Suge strong-armed him for) all of the masters of the music he was working on at that time. When he set up the Aftermath, he set it up to have a team of not only artists, but also producers. This album was rushed out by Jimmy Iovine to capitalize on the new label. I'm not saying that Dre hasn't dropped his share of stinkers (the beats on the newest Eve cd come to mind), but that "Presents..." album isn't considered a Dre album so much as a compilation. And I know that NWA, Snoop, Cube, Eminem, 50, and all those people have a tremendous amound of talent, but if you look at all those names what do they have in common? Dr. Dre...

gerrythedon 02-02-04 01:23 AM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
And sure, he has produced other people, but I think it's safe to say the NWA, Snoop, Cube, Em and now 50 are pretty talented in their own right and may have been just as successful with say Mutt Lange.
Snoop- If he wasn't on Dre's first album, nobody would have known his ass... only great album his [Snoop] first one.

EM- I like EM [got his albums], but if DRE wasn't attached to him then almost nobody [DETROIT] would have gave a F - - K [especially me] about his White Ass.

50- IN DA CLUB... that's all I have to say.

POWERBOMB 02-03-04 02:23 PM

Dre considers ...presents the Aftermath as his own on 2004 Chronic cd.

As for the others:

Snoop: it was Warren G who begged Dre for years to listen to his homie Calvin. If Warren G was more known somebody else would have signed Snoop.

Em- Please, eventually this talented ******' would have been signed to a label.

1/2 dolla', I mean 50 Cent- A discovery by Em, or actually Em won a bidding war for his services.

Dre has had failures as much as he has had success. Obie Trice, anyone?

SnoopDogg 02-04-04 01:32 PM

Dre considers ...presents the Aftermath as his own on 2004 Chronic cd.

As for the others:

Snoop: it was Warren G who begged Dre for years to listen to his homie Calvin. If Warren G was more known somebody else would have signed Snoop.

Em- Please, eventually this talented ******' would have been signed to a label.

1/2 dolla', I mean 50 Cent- A discovery by Em, or actually Em won a bidding war for his services.

Dre has had failures as much as he has had success. Obie Trice, anyone?

Obie Trice is a Shady artist, and that album is VERY good.

SnoopDogg 02-04-04 01:35 PM

Snoop- If he wasn't on Dre's first album, nobody would have known his ass... only great album his [Snoop] first one.

EM- I like EM [got his albums], but if DRE wasn't attached to him then almost nobody [DETROIT] would have gave a F - - K [especially me] about his White Ass.

50- IN DA CLUB... that's all I have to say.

I believe Snoop would have been out sooner or later w/o Dre probably not as big, but can you say Dre would have as big w/o Snoop. You never no, but Cronic is littered w/ Snoop on it.

EM - I really think would have gotten a chance w/o Dre as well, and probably would have been just as big, and again Dre benifited huge off of Eminem.

50 - Was discovered by Em not dre so I give that credit to Em.

MJKTool 02-04-04 02:38 PM

I think Doggfather was a pretty damn good album. I lost interest in him after he left Death Row though.

the aftermath 02-04-04 04:24 PM

50 wasn't "discovered" by Eminem. He was just marketed to the masses by him, and having that association made 50 the star he is.

He was really discovered by Jam Master Jay (R.I.P).

kurupt 02-05-04 11:33 AM

Powerbomb, I don't want to sound petty or argue, but in the song "Forgot About Dre" on the Chronic 2001 album he says something along the lines of "how could I have fallen off, my last album was The Chronic." Therefore, he doesn't consider "Presents the Aftermath" a Dre album or he would have said "my last album was Presents the Aftermath :) " Also, 50 was huge in the underground before signing to Shady/Aftermath, Eminem hardly discovered him. One can even make the argument that, lyrically, 50 was much better before he signed with them and that due to the bidding war, and the inevitable marketing push he would have gotten at any label after a bidding war, he would have been big anyway (but not Dr. Dre-produced In The Club big). Warren G and Snoop were making home-made garage tapes before Dre put Snoop on Deep Cover. Em probably would have found a label due to the fact that he is raps version of the great white hype - any time a white rapper comes out, he's all over the radio and MTV (Em, House of Pain, Vanilla Ice), but if you listen to The Slim LP (and pretty much any subsequent Em album, for that matter), Dre's beats are heads and shoulders above anything else on that disc. Face it, Dre's hip-hop's Quincy Jones.

POWERBOMB 02-05-04 05:27 PM

kurupt, in my post above dated "02-03-04 02:23 PM" I said Em won a bidding war for 50 cent. It was SnoopDogg who said that Em discovered 50.

And although I would never make the arguement that Dre isn't the single best producer in the hip hop genre, I now have a reasonable doubt he did it alone due to the article in the Source magazine.

And if you listen to "Forgot about Dre" the actual lyric Dre raps is:

If it was up to me, you muh’****ers would stop comin up to me
Wit your hands out lookin up to me, like you want somethin free
When my last cd was out, you wasn’t bumpin me
But now that I got this little company
Everybody wanna come to me like it was some disease

Michael T Hudson 02-05-04 06:01 PM

I think he was talking about Still Dre

[Dr. Dre]
Oh for sho', check me out
It's still Dre Day *****, A.K. *****
Though I've grown a lot, can't keep it home a lot
Cause when I frequent the spots that I'm known to rock
You hear the bass from the truck when I'm on the block
Ladies, they pay homage, but haters say Dre fell off
How *****? My last album was "The Chronic" (*****)
They want to know if he still got it
They say rap's changed, they want to know how I feel about it

kurupt 02-05-04 09:02 PM

Yep, as much as I hate to admit that I was wrong, I was referring to the lyric in "Still Dre". I guess at this point, though, we're arguing semantics. Dre, Em, 50, Cube, Snoop and a whole lot of other people are making tons of money by making good music working with each other...

POWERBOMB 02-05-04 11:06 PM

Yeah. but that was an argument I had in another thread about the cd. Dre mentions the Chronic in "Still Dre" and ....Presents the Aftermath in "Forgot about Dre" as being his last cd. Well, which is it Doc? In another song he mentions there are those who believe his wife told him to lay off the gangsta lyrics (which ...Presents the Aftermath was somewhat filled with anti-gangsta themes) but when the money wasn't there gave him permission to go Gangsta.

I'm suspicious about what I have heard about Dre, but in the end I don't doubt that the public will continue to buy his gangsta cd's.

SnoopDogg 02-06-04 12:46 PM

Yeah. but that was an argument I had in another thread about the cd. Dre mentions the Chronic in "Still Dre" and ....Presents the Aftermath in "Forgot about Dre" as being his last cd. Well, which is it Doc? In another song he mentions there are those who believe his wife told him to lay off the gangsta lyrics (which ...Presents the Aftermath was somewhat filled with anti-gangsta themes) but when the money wasn't there gave him permission to go Gangsta.

I'm suspicious about what I have heard about Dre, but in the end I don't doubt that the public will continue to buy his gangsta cd's.

Jay Z wrote Still Dre for Dre so maybe thats why he didn't claim that album in that song.