Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl Jam's future...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pearl Jam's future...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Pearl Jam's future...

Pearl Jam Mulling Studio, Label Decisions

As Pearl Jam moves ahead with self-releasing its first music since parting ways with longtime label Epic, guitarist Mike McCready says the band could return to the studio as early as April.

"Now that we're free from our contract, we're just going to see how things go from here," he reveals. He adds that the band is exploring a number of ways to get music to its fans, whether it is self-released or issued through a deal with an existing label willing to approach the projects adventurously.

As first reported here last month, Pearl Jam's official Web site is selling a commercial single for "Man of the Hour," which will appear as the end-title song in Tim Burton's upcoming film "Big Fish." The cut also appears on the Sony soundtrack, due Dec. 23.

Pearl Jam has been toying with the idea of starting its own label, possibly through Sony, but McCready says it's not likely.

"We've thought about it," the guitarist says. "But the problem is [that] we don't want to become a record company, we still want to be a rock band. To get into that aspect of starting your own label and worrying about distribution, it turns into way more of a business than any of us want to deal with. It's intriguing, but I think the five of us don't want to be [those] kind of businessmen. We want to rock and play music."

McCready adds that the band has not decided how to release its next studio album. "Everything can be sold online now," McCready says. "It's completely changed from where we were when the band started. I would not want to be in a band trying to get signed right now; it would be pretty tough."

As far as illegal downloading is concerned, McCready says it has affected the band's overall record sales, but artists need to find a way to embrace and monetize it. "[Downloading] is part of life now, and I think people have to adapt," he points out. "It's not going away. We have to adapt, and the record labels have to adapt and embrace it and figure out creative ways to sell music through iTunes and [others]. It forces everyone to think out of the box."

from [BILLBOARD.com]
Old 12-12-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in what they will do next. I also like the fact that they can admit that they would rather rock and be free than run a record label. Pearl Jam was always about what THEY wanted to do, which I believe is what will keep them around for a long time. As long as they release a commercial CD as well as offer tracks to download on the web, I'll be happy.
Old 12-12-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Pearl Jam's future...

Originally posted by gerrythedon
As far as illegal downloading is concerned, McCready says it has affected the band's overall record sales
Absolute BS McCreedy. Subpar albums like Binaural and Riot Act are what has hurt sales. I know they can't all be Ten, but if you think that fans will buy 10 million copies of whatever you release (without videos or radio singles I might add), you are completely braindead. Just because you feel the need to reinvent yourself every album (hello Radiohead, are you listening?) doesn't mean your fans will follow.

I miss old PJ...
Old 12-12-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know about bad records. I don't think they are expecting to sell 10 million records everytime, but I think it's fair to say that every artist has suffered from file sharing to some extent. I don't think he was looking for pity or anything, I think he was just stating the same thing every other artist says which is there needs to be a way to mediate it and both sides need to learn to live with file sharing.

Them reinventing themselves each album IS ther sound. Binaural and Riot Act aren't bad records at all, they just aren't what some people wanted.
Old 12-12-03, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Ergyu
I don't know about bad records. I don't think they are expecting to sell 10 million records everytime, but I think it's fair to say that every artist has suffered from file sharing to some extent. I don't think he was looking for pity or anything, I think he was just stating the same thing every other artist says which is there needs to be a way to mediate it and both sides need to learn to live with file sharing.

Them reinventing themselves each album IS ther sound. Binaural and Riot Act aren't bad records at all, they just aren't what some people wanted.
I agree. I'd much rather listen to Riot Act than Ten. Course I'd much rather listen to Yield than anything on the planet, but that's not the point right now.
Old 12-12-03, 02:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They need to hurry up and make a decision, so Creed can follow suit.
Old 12-12-03, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by glasschicken
I agree. I'd much rather listen to Riot Act than Ten. Course I'd much rather listen to Yield than anything on the planet, but that's not the point right now.
100% agree with everything you've just said. Thank god Pearl Jam continues to grow and change. I don't want them to make the same music they made 10 years ago because I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. And it's also the reason I expect to still be listening to them 10 years from now.
Old 12-12-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Pearl Jam's future...

Originally posted by wfujosh
I miss old PJ...
I thought Pearl Jam got rid of the grumpy-all-I-want-is-TEN-record-after-record-fan with the release of Vitalogy? Hey, yea Bianural is a bore, but Riot Act? Heck no. That is one of the best. There is no "old PJ" they never really existed (but maybe to get a record deal...?). Enjoy them for who they are: great musician artists. Something that rarely exists in this corporate music for the masses dumbing down of American atmostphere.
Old 12-12-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Pearl Jam's future...

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
I thought Pearl Jam got rid of the grumpy-all-I-want-is-TEN-record-after-record-fan with the release of Vitalogy? Hey, yea Bianural is a bore, but Riot Act? Heck no. That is one of the best. There is no "old PJ" they never really existed (but maybe to get a record deal...?). Enjoy them for who they are: great musician artists. Something that rarely exists in this corporate music for the masses dumbing down of American atmostphere.
I agree cept I like Binaural more than Riot Act...

Quick question...anyone think they will ever be worthy of a Grammy nomination again?

I thought No Code deserved one and don't even get me started on how good Yield was(and is). Do you think it may be because Ed snubbed the Grammy's in years past?
Old 12-12-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Groucho
They need to hurry up and make a decision, so Creed can follow suit.

Expect a press release from Scott a week after..
Old 12-12-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pearl Jam's future...

Originally posted by boobietheclown
I agree cept I like Binaural more than Riot Act...

Quick question...anyone think they will ever be worthy of a Grammy nomination again?

I thought No Code deserved one and don't even get me started on how good Yield was(and is). Do you think it may be because Ed snubbed the Grammy's in years past?
I think the "this doesn't mean anything" speech for STBC did taint the Grammy board's mind. But does it really matter? It is a populace, butt-kissing award that really doesn't mean anything but mid-level talent getting their un-deserved lauding and record sales....for the most part.

No Code probably is their best---as a lot of PJ's fans on this board agree too---but isn't necessarily my favorite. Yield had moments, but I thought was a tad weak at points and not as coherent has other albums.
Old 12-12-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wasn't expecting such love for post Vitalogy records. Personally I don't think they've ever done anything bad, but I know some would disagree. I love the Ten and Vs. era just as much as the latter, but I too am glad they didn't just keep recording the same thing over and over. I like not being able to EXACTLY classify a band into a certain Genre.
Old 12-13-03, 12:07 PM

Loved Yield except Wishlist. Lyrics were weak.

MFC. Best. PJ. Song. Ever.
Old 12-13-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jay77
Loved Yield except Wishlist. Lyrics were weak.

MFC. Best. PJ. Song. Ever.
Ya, MFC is great. Given to Fly is one of my favorite PJ tracks as well.
Old 12-13-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im in love with Lost Dogs right now that I pretty much could careless what they do except to continue to put out music that i can get my hands on.

Binarioul and Riot Act where both boring but there still was great music on them,and when do you have to have vidoes and radio hits to have good music?I could careless what they do just dont break up and give me more music.
Old 12-13-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDHO
Im in love with Lost Dogs right now that I pretty much could careless what they do except to continue to put out music that i can get my hands on.

Binarioul and Riot Act where both boring but there still was great music on them,and when do you have to have vidoes and radio hits to have good music?I could careless what they do just dont break up and give me more music.
Yep Lost Dogs is excellent. As far as I'm concerned I could consider it a full blown studio album as opposed to the B-side/outtake records it really is.

I'd be interested in them making videos again soley because its obvious that they all have interesting artistic talents, and could definitely make some cool videos. Jeremy and Do the Evolution are still 2 of my favorites of all time.
Old 12-14-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess since they parted ways with epic that means for the casual pearl jam fan (like myself) i will finally get a best of cd from epic, i hope it contains all the hits from "ten" and also "wishlist and given to fly" from yield...
Old 12-17-03, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by johnbook
I guess since they parted ways with epic that means for the casual pearl jam fan (like myself) i will finally get a best of cd from epic, i hope it contains all the hits from "ten" and also "wishlist and given to fly" from yield...
I doubt this will ever happen.... mainly because when Pearl Jam signed with Epic their contract gave them controlling rights to all of their music. The band would have to sign off on such an album, and based on their previous attitudes toward them, I think it's a bit of a stretch. But with that being said, you never can tell.
Old 12-17-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Amazon Hooks Pearl Jam Single

Veteran rock act Pearl Jam, now free from its Sony Music contract, has aligned with Amazon.com to sell the CD single "Man of the Hour" from the "Big Fish" soundtrack. As previously reported, the single has been exclusively available through the band's offical Web site since Nov. 26.

The move makes Pearl Jam the most mainstream act to take part in Amazon.com's Advantage for Music Program, which is generally used by unknown independent acts to sell music directly to fans.

"Pearl Jam is exploring a number of different ways to get music directly to its fans following the recent fulfillment of its contract with Epic Records, with whom the band has not yet decided to re-sign," Pearl Jam's manager Kelly Curtis says. "We have the opportunity right now to test the waters with a variety of progressive companies that are working to expand options for music fans and artists alike."

Jeff Peterson, director of Amazon.com's Advantage program, says all the albums released through the program get equal marketing time on the Amazon.com Web site as do major label releases. As it has been on the Pearl Jam site, the list price for "Man of the Hour," written by frontman Eddie Vedder for "Big Fish," is $5.

The song will appear on the film's Sony soundtrack, due Tuesday (Dec. 23). The album also features songs by Bing Crosby, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, the Allman Bros. Band, Canned Heat, among others.

Pearl Jam has tentative plans to record a new studio album next year and is weighing distribution options.

from [BILLBOARD.com]
Old 12-17-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by lookslikeme
I doubt this will ever happen.... mainly because when Pearl Jam signed with Epic their contract gave them controlling rights to all of their music. The band would have to sign off on such an album, and based on their previous attitudes toward them, I think it's a bit of a stretch. But with that being said, you never can tell.
I agree. If they ever released one, I have a feeling it would have a twist, like the majority of the tracks being alternate versions or something. They have 150+ greatest hits CDs already in their Live series.
Old 12-17-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"As it has been on the Pearl Jam site, the list price for "Man of the Hour," written by frontman Eddie Vedder for "Big Fish," is $5."

They better pull their heads out because I wouldn't pay $5 for 1 song sang by the almighty himself. With prices like that I would definately start pirating.
Old 12-17-03, 04:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never gotten why people clammor for greatest hit's release. Just get a CD burner and make your own.
Old 12-17-03, 04:41 PM

Very cool deal with amazon. I hope we see more of this.

I, for one, am not ready for the album to go completely digital. I like to hold it in my hand and read the booklet and look at the artwork without having to fire up the old computadora.

jay77
Old 12-18-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I've never gotten why people clammor for greatest hit's release. Just get a CD burner and make your own.
That's fine to leave in your car like i do (burned cd's of my favorite bands songs) but as a collector i like to have the original cd's on my rack in my apt.
Old 12-18-03, 08:04 AM

That's fine to leave in your car like i do (burned cd's of my favorite bands songs) but as a collector i like to have the original cd's on my rack in my apt.
If that's the case you woud already own Pearl Jam's albums and wouldn't need a greatest hits cd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.