Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Hatebreed - The Rise of Brutality

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well did anyone pick this up today? It's a good CD, however very short, the longest song is 3:29 seconds. Hatebreed seems to be going by the formula, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Alot of people said this will be the CD to kill hardcore music, since Hatebreed are starting to get noticed outside of the hardcore community. That's not going to happen with this album.

Acutally I feel that this album is close to "Satisfaction.." than "Perseverance".

Also something odd that was pointed out to me, the first three lines to the song "Another Day, Another Vendetta" are the exact same lyrics to Sick Of It All's "Just Look Around."

"The question they keep asking me
how can one so young be so bitter and angry?
Well, the answer is plain to see..."

All in all, I enjoy this CD. Plus Hatebreed is a fun band to watch live.
Old 10-28-03, 11:37 PM

this cd owns! SOOOO GOOD! this goes to show that they are still a true hardcore band doing it for the scene even though getting into more of the mainstream. Yeah, in the booklet of the cd, he writes b4 that song that he borrowed lyrics form SOIA and they have been a big inspiration and he writes a long intro about them.

so yeah, get this cd! It's kind of a continuation of Perseverance, but the hardcore parts are more old school ny hardcore style (ala agnostic front/madball)! Jamey jasta writes a thankyou to those 2 bands b4 one of the songs in the liner notes saying they inspired hatebreed as well.

These are true hardcore guys! word.
Old 10-29-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny I didn't look at the booklet until five minutes after I posted that.

BTW, xDareDevilx are you stright edge? I just wondered because of the x's. I am myself stright edge.
Old 10-29-03, 11:44 AM

How many Bolt Thrower riffs did they rip-off this time around?
Old 10-29-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to hearing the new CD, just saw them open up for SLAYER, and they were quite good. One thing I've always liked about Hatebreed is they really aren't all wrapped up in any specific "scene" or "look", despite being embraced by the hardcore kids first. The music seems to always come first. Don't get me wrong, I like some hardcore music, but so many bands in the genre are more worried about their image than anything else,(though most genres have the same problem) who's the biggest toughguy, who's from the streets, etc....save it for study hall. Its funny, just a few years ago the hardcore "community" despised anything related to metal, even to the point where kids got beat up at shows because they wore a certain t-shirt or had long hair. Now the trend in hardcore music is to sound more metal.
No point to this all really, just an observation of how amusing different genres of music & fans evolve over the years.
Old 10-29-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by woofman
Its funny, just a few years ago the hardcore "community" despised anything related to metal, even to the point where kids got beat up at shows because they wore a certain t-shirt or had long hair. Now the trend in hardcore music is to sound more metal.
No point to this all really, just an observation of how amusing different genres of music & fans evolve over the years.
The same exact thing happened with punk and metal a long time ago. Then I think it was Motorhead who blured the lines between punk and metal. I could be wrong.

Woofman, if you are looking for some hardcore that isn't about image, check out some of these bands:

Holden Caulfield - www.cornzine.com/holdencaulfield

Most Precious Blood

Converge

All Out War

If you like Slayer, you will probably like the new All Out War, they have a Slayer style on their new album "Condemned To Suffer".
Old 10-29-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
So why is he so angry?
Old 10-29-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
So why is he so angry?
Because, just because
Old 10-29-03, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by cerial442
The same exact thing happened with punk and metal a long time ago. Then I think it was Motorhead who blured the lines between punk and metal. I could be wrong.

Woofman, if you are looking for some hardcore that isn't about image, check out some of these bands:

Holden Caulfield - www.cornzine.com/holdencaulfield

Most Precious Blood

Converge

All Out War

If you like Slayer, you will probably like the new All Out War, they have a Slayer style on their new album "Condemned To Suffer".
cerial442- That's right, I almost forgot about the punk/metal thing. Thanks for the references, I happen to own All out War's first Cd and LOVE IT, straight up heavy goodness, and yes, they drop some very nice slayer riffs. I hope to get their new CD soon. I was real glad to hear they got back together again, just wish Buried Alive would do the same. I'd love to see All out War live. I saw Converge in Cleveland in 2001 during HESSFEST, they were pretty good, I'll have to check out some of their stuff as well as some of the other bands you mentioned.
Old 10-29-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

woofman,

If you liked Buried Alive, check out Terror. It features Scott Vogel, the singer of Buried Alive. It is pretty much the same band, a few differences though. The only bad thing about them, is their CD is too short. It is only like 19 minutes, and is around $12.00.
Old 10-30-03, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by cerial442
It's funny I didn't look at the booklet until five minutes after I posted that.

BTW, xDareDevilx are you stright edge? I just wondered because of the x's. I am myself stright edge.
yes, i've been edge for about 2 years now.

Oh, and terror is one of the best hardcore bands out right now! Get their cd pronto! I also suggest throwdown. They aren't really anything like terror, but are super tuff. A lot of their stuff sounds pretty nu-metal, but I hate almost all numetal bands, so don't let that deter you. Throwdown is real tough and I suggest them to all! Also, if you are into the more old school sound (terror, bane), check out comeback kid. Definitely my fav. hardcore band out right now! Their live show owns too. They are a side band of figure4 (who are super tuff). word.

Jason X.
Old 11-01-03, 09:43 AM

Along with GoatWhore:Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun the new Hatebreed CD has to be one of the most brutal releases of 2003 !
This CD kills non-stop from start to finish & the Metal is definetly there.
You cant deny it !
There are plenty of breakdowns with the double kick just thumping in the background under some chunk ass guitar riffs.

TOKA :"How many Bolt Thrower riffs did they rip-off this time around? "

I always thought "Last Breath" off of their 1st CD was a total Bolt Thrower riff .
But thats cool with me, Hatebreed pulled it off well.
I think all bands are guilty of "borrowing" from their influences,I also feel a heavy Entombed influence when I hear Hatebreed.
Old 11-02-03, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by jk4w
I think all bands are guilty of "borrowing" from BINGE...