Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

black label society?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

black label society?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
black label society?

anyone heard of this group before? i just heard the song stillborn on the radio today and loved it. has a nice ozzy-esque type sound to it. listened to the song samples on their cd and it sounds interesting. curious if anyone has ever heard of them or not. opinions?
Old 10-16-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's Zakk Wylde's new band (he used to play guitar for Ozzy (No Rest for the Wicked, No More Tears, Ozzmosis))

What I've heard, I've liked.
Old 10-16-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I'm just getting into them too. Heard of them a while back and finally hunted down a song or two and really liked 'em.

Listening to BLS really gives you an idea of how much Zakk has influenced Ozzy's sound. You can always tell his pinch harmonic from everyone elses!

Kristine, BTW what staion did you hear it on? Had to be either KLOL or The Buzz...I kinda stopped listening to 101 a while back since their DJ's seem to talk waaay too much (Outlaw Dave...can you hear me!!???)

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 10-16-03 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-16-03, 04:17 PM

Stillborn is Ozzy singing. It's a single from BLS's latest album the Blessed Hellride. Originally Wylde was more of a southern hard rocker but over time the sound of BLS has changed into a Sabbath/Ozzy clone. Blessed Hellride is probably the best of their albums.

Check out the only album from his band Pride & Glory to see what he used to sound like. It's a great album blending Skynyrd with Sabbath riffs.
Old 10-16-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Listening to BLS really gives you an idea of how much Zakk has influenced Ozzy's sound. You can always tell his pinch harmonic from everyone elses!"

You said that RIGHT!! Back in '91 I saw him play with Ozzy. It was the best rock concert I have ever seen. Zakk was SPOT ON. I just loooovvveee that SQUEEL!!!
Old 10-16-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ozzy just sings in the chorus of stillborn, BLS is probably my favorite band right now, pure old school metal.

Stronger than Death is their best album IMO.

Zakk's acoustic album Book of Shadows is beyond great, one of my favorite albums of all times.

All the BLS albums are great though buy them all.
Old 10-16-03, 09:29 PM

There is also a Black Label Society DVD out that's pretty cool, I just rented through Netfilx.
Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society: Boozed, Broozed & Broken-Boned

Thinking I may have to buy this one.
Old 10-16-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
glad some other folks enjoyed this, too. most of the new rock out is slightly heavy but a lot of it sounds the same or too "pop" like. it is good to hear groups going back to the basics. good, classic sounds and guitar.

smack daddy--i heard it on 101. i, too normally put 101 on ignore excpet for two for tuesday and mandatory metallica but somehow i caught this song. yes, outlaw dave is getting way annoying but i switched because all they played was led zepplin, kenny wayne shephard (sp?), zz top and other old school stuff. not they those bands arent good but sheesh, not 24/7!!!!
Old 10-17-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, if any of ya'll get tempted to pick up the Japanese versions of BLS's CDs for the bonus tracks, you might want to reconsider unless yer gettin' a real steal. I've had them all (save for the new one and, given the track's name is "F.U.N.", it probably fits with the others) and the bonus tracks are usually gimicky and not full songs or very interesting. A shame really, considering what I paid for 'em.

-Gunshy
Old 10-17-03, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Gunshy
BTW, if any of ya'll get tempted to pick up the Japanese versions of BLS's CDs for the bonus tracks, you might want to reconsider unless yer gettin' a real steal. I've had them all (save for the new one and, given the track's name is "F.U.N.", it probably fits with the others) and the bonus tracks are usually gimicky and not full songs or very interesting. A shame really, considering what I paid for 'em.

-Gunshy
The Stronger Than Death bonus track is one of his best songs I feel. I think its called Bullet Inside Your Head or something close to that.
Old 10-19-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chalk me up as another S.D.M.F.

I'd say it definitely seems that the further you go back into Black Label's catalog, the more southern it sounds. I don't prefer older to newer or vice versa. Just depends on what I want to listen to.

By the way, BLS's live disc "Alcohol Fueled Brewtality Live" shouldn't be overlooked...pretty good stuff, and disc 2 has a few unreleased tracks including a very cool cover of Snowblind with that southern sound to it!
Old 07-24-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: black label society?

I think New Religion was their latest video

I think it kicks ass

http://vodpod.com/watch/2487045-blac...os-rocktube-us
Old 07-30-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: black label society?

I'm not sold on them yet. I do have Blessed Hell Ride and it has good songs and bad songs on it. Just when it looks like i'm going to go full force with them they come out with a few ballads to knock me back down. I would try a few other cd's from them, even a DVD if it's not over priced.