Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pixies DVD

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pixies DVD

http://www.4ad.com/artists/catalogue/pixies/index.htm

However, there have been plans in place for a long time to issue a DVD of the band (which will include a complete live show alongside a documentary, their videos and more) plus a new retrospective compilation CD. These are due for release in spring 2004
Old 12-09-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pixies DVD on the way

From Billboard.com
While reports that the Pixies will reunite for concerts in 2004 remain unconfirmed, Billboard.com has learned there are two archival projects in the works. The group's manager, Ken Goes, says 4AD is prepping "a very nice DVD," as well as a newly compiled "best of" album to replace the 1997 release "Death to the Pixies," which is now out of print in the U.S. No release dates have been announced.

The DVD will feature eight Pixies videos, for such tracks as "Debaser," "Here Comes Your Man" and "Monkey Gone to Heaven." Also included is the documentary "Gouge," which was shown on British television a few years ago and sports interviews with Radiohead's Thom Yorke, David Bowie and U2 frontman Bono.

Rounding out the package is a 1988 concert taped at London's Town and Country on the Pixies' maiden tour of the region. "Finally, it'll include some off-stage stuff, sort of behind-the-scenes, on tour and in the studio; about 30 minutes or so," Goes reports. "It'll be a great package for fans and a nice introduction for others."

Goes had no comment on renewed speculation that the Pixies may regroup for the first time since their 1992 dissolution. In September, he told Billboard.com he had "received an offer for the Pixies to perform in April. That said, over the past 10 years, I have received dozens of offers for the Pixies."

In related news, former Pixies frontman Frank Black has made a new EP available exclusively to Apple's iTunes Music Store. Four previously unreleased tracks, "Don't Clip Your Wings," "A Dab'll Do Ya," "Preacher's Daughter" and "Show Me Your Tears" can be purchased for 99 cents each. The cuts are outtakes from Black's latest spinART album, "Show Me Your Tears."
Old 12-09-03, 03:54 PM

That is some awesome news. Maybe they will actually reunite.
Old 12-09-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

throwing muses next and i'd be in heaven.
Old 12-10-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I wish they would release a cd or dvd of a show from the Trompe Le Monde tour!!!
Old 12-12-03, 11:22 AM

Great news! I hope this comes out soon. The Pixies have been one of my favorite bands since I first heard them back in the late 80s. Can not wait!
Old 12-13-03, 08:02 PM

pixies...never heard of them...probally cause i was born in 89 and im 14...but i like music from the 80's ill have to look into it
Old 12-13-03, 09:09 PM

BoogiepopPhantm ... I can guarantee you that a large number of the groups you listen to at the moment, are heavily influenced by The Pixies. Try their album 'Doolittle' first .. it's a classic.

As for the news about a Pixies DVD .. oooooooha! Great news.
Old 12-14-03, 12:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BoogiepopPhantm
pixies...never heard of them...
Pixies were a fantastic band that influenced many, including Nirvana who took the basslines from the Pixies song "Gouge Away", restructured it and came up with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Check out their albums Surfer Rosa and Doolittle
Old 12-15-03, 04:49 PM

Excellent news.
Old 12-17-03, 07:56 AM

Kinda off topic, but I saw Stellastarr open up for Placebo last night and they totally rip off the pixies especially the chick bassist who wants to be Kim Deal 2. Placebo closed with a cover of "Where Is My Mind" which was pretty cool.
Old 12-17-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the Pixies. Never really cared for Black Francis' work as Frank Black.
Old 12-17-03, 01:45 PM

This news is so good it makes me want to dance around like an anthropomorphized banana.
Old 12-17-03, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Peep
Loved the Pixies. Never really cared for Black Francis' work as Frank Black.
Have you tried out songs from his various albums. His albums are all pretty unique. I am really liking his FB & the Catholics stuff that he has been doing the last couple of years. Teenager of the Year is by far his best solo effort IMO.
Old 12-17-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rivero
Pixies were a fantastic band that influenced many, including Nirvana who took the basslines from the Pixies song "Gouge Away", restructured it and came up with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Check out their albums Surfer Rosa and Doolittle
I don't believe Nirvana were "influenced" by the Pixies in the way you say. They just happened to be doing the same thing at the same time. In Michael Azzerad's book on Nirvana "Come As You Are", Kurt said they were (as everyone was at the time) pretty much blown away by "Surfer Rosa" and commented on how close they were in sound. Kurt even said how they lost or taped over some rehearsal tapes that sounded like songs that could've been on "Surfer Rosa".

That being said, I don't think the bass line in "Gouge Away" sounds anything like the bass line in "Smells Like Teen Spirit". "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is more of a ripoff of Boston's "More Than A Feeling" (which they played the riff of before playing SLTS at some of their shows) and Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla".
Old 12-17-03, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I don't believe Nirvana were "influenced" by the Pixies in the way you say.
Cobain has flat-out said, "we were just ripping off the Pixies." I could find the quote for you on the net.
Old 12-17-03, 03:33 PM

Yeah Radiohead has said the same thing...
I don't think their are totally obvious similarities, more like influenced. It's basically bands admitting they were influenced so it's not the media who says they are pure ripoffs but the band themselves, which isn't as insulting.
Old 12-17-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I believe the bass line of Gouge Away was transplanted and slightly changed as the guitar for Smells Like Teen Spirit, but I have no support for that, I think I read it somewhere. Can a musician maybe confirm this? Also I read that thier first album was a tribute to the Pixies, but I'm not a Nirvana fan, so I would have no idea. Can't trust everything you read.
Old 01-15-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some fantastic news for those in So Cal:

Pixies and Radiohead in concert together!!

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/a...tent_id=2068510

Hell hath frozen over...
Old 01-15-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jippy
Some fantastic news for those in So Cal:

Pixies and Radiohead in concert together!!

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/a...tent_id=2068510

Hell hath frozen over...
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar...ent_id=2068510

&
Old 01-15-04, 12:19 PM

That is very cool, and I would love to see them...but I don't know if I would want them to record anything again (i know i am jumping the gun). I just highly doubt it will be the same.

If I wasn't on the other coast I would be there.
Old 01-23-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Anyone know if the DVD has a release date yet?
Old 04-23-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pixies DVD to be released 4/26

Anyone have the specs on this set, and know if it will be available at B&Ms?

TIA
Old 04-23-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I imagine it would be identical to the R2.

Here's a review courtesy of DVD Times

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11112
Old 04-23-04, 12:50 PM
Banned

I think I just filled the cup.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.