Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Doves - Lost Sides (CD)/Where Were Calling From (DVD)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 10:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Doves fan take note: two new (import) releases

Lost Sides (Limited 2CD Edition):
Break Me Gently (Incidental)
Darker
Your Shadow Lay Across My Life
Meet Me At The Pier
Down To Sea
Crunch
Zither
Valley
Northenden
Hit The Ground Running
Willow's Song
Far From Grace

Bonus CD:
Words (Echoboy Remix)
N.Y. (Chris Coco Remix)
M62 Song (Four Tet Mix)
The Sulphur Man (Rebelski Remix)
The Last Broadcast (Magnet Remix)
Where We're Calling From (Hebden Bridge Remix)
Satellites (Soulsavers Remix

Where We're Calling From: Region 1 (DVD release) (Canadian?) OCTOBER 7TH RELEASE

Amazon.co.uk Review
Watching Doves: Where We're Calling From, with its plethora of additional material above and beyond the top-quality music, it's easy to forget that the Doves have only released two albums to date. This is a band that has worked tirelessly to nurture a dark but accessibly intelligent sound and image--a mix of Oasis-style pop-rock coupled with the bleak desperation of Radiohead.
Thematically, the disc draws on their darker side. It has a state-of-the-art opening menu, incorporating a panoramic sub-apocalyptic cityscape, and a haunting soundtrack. This continues a theme established in some of their promo videos, which mock the fake idealism of modern society, particularly the loss of identity through consumerism ("There Goes the Fear") and the failure of planned urban utopias ("Pounding").

Mourning the demise of craftsmanship, the sepia video for "Sea Song" comprises footage of a man constructing a wooden rocking chair. Contributing to the strange, claustrophobic atmosphere of the DVD, the concert footage recorded at Cornwall's futuristic Eden project includes live performances of their greatest hits and selected album tracks. Performed in front of the eerily lit domes, the show sums up the Doves' weird mass appeal.

On the DVD: Doves: Where We're Calling From heralds a new era in music DVD by reinventing selection menus. Instead of numerous sub-menus, all of the features are included on one huge menu that can be navigated by using the left and right keys on the remote control, creating a 360-degree feel. However like an unwieldy child, the disc's interactive features need constant attention so that they behave in the way you want. --John Galilee

Synopsis
Doves recorded live at the Eden Project in July 2002. The tracklist includes: 'Pounding', 'There Goes The Fear', 'Catch The Sun', 'Caught By The River', 'Here It Comes' and 'Spaceface'.

Amazon.com lists this at a high price of $27. Amazon.ca/HMV denotes this at $18.89 CDN. hmm, me figures ordering from Amazon.ca is the smarter deal.

Last edited by Giles; 09-30-03 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-01-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just pre-ordered the CD from Amazon.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 10-01-03 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-01-03, 11:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Yup I already have that on pre-order. but the region 2 dvd, as I can watch it on my cheap toshiba dvd player. Cost me all of 49 dollars, well after 30 dollars in amazon GC, but still 80 dollars.
Old 10-01-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Yup I already have that on pre-order. but the region 2 dvd, as I can watch it on my cheap toshiba dvd player. Cost me all of 49 dollars, well after 30 dollars in amazon GC, but still 80 dollars.
Wait, I'm confused. Why did you preorder it for $80? It looks to me like you could order it from Amazon.ca for around $20.

I'm all over these two releases, though. I already own a copy of or have downloaded all of those b-sides, but I'll be picking up the 2 disc CD anyway. I haven't seen many of their videos, so I'm looking forward to getting the DVD, too.
Old 10-01-03, 05:04 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I got a Region Free DVD Player for 80 dollars..
This means I can order DVD's released in the UK to play in my dvd player.

It's all make sense
Old 10-02-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the B-sides stand up to their proper material? I adore this band.
Old 10-02-03, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Do the B-sides stand up to their proper material? I adore this band.
of the few I have heard and own (from their UK singles) they are decent and I for one I am surprised that a B-sides album was ever considered in the first place.

Not to go completely off tangent, but there are only a few bands that I know of that really qualify has having excellent b-sides:

London Suede - the double b-sides album is amazing
Mansun
Oasis
Super Furry Animals - (why oh why is "Roman Roads" not on "Rings Around the World" - excellent song)
Old 10-02-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
You mean Suede

It's a shame they have to be marketed as London Suede over in the U.S.
Never could get my head around that..is that because if someone doesn't like their music over there it gives an excuse as to why they sound the way they do?
Old 10-02-03, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Not to go completely off tangent, but there are only a few bands that I know of that really qualify has having excellent b-sides:

Super Furry Animals - (why oh why is "Roman Roads" not on "Rings Around the World" - excellent song)
I totally agree on both!!!
Old 10-02-03, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by RichDB10
You mean Suede

It's a shame they have to be marketed as London Suede over in the U.S.
Never could get my head around that..is that because if someone doesn't like their music over there it gives an excuse as to why they sound the way they do?
Will at least they aren't referred or called UK Suede or something along that vein. Well whoever decision it was, had to out of legal reasons cause there is a Viriginia (US) band called Suede.