Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Matthews - Some Devil

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

from http://stores.musictoday.com/store/d...33&band_id=290

Dave Matthews' debut solo album, Some Devil, will be released Tuesday, September 23rd. Among the many musicians accompanying Dave on Some Devil are Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio and Dave's longtime collaborator, guitarist Tim Reynolds. Bassist Tony Hall (Bob Dylan, The Neville Brothers, Willie Nelson) and drummer Brady Blade Jr. (Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Chris Whitley) also appear on the album, which was produced by Busted Stuff producer Stephen Harris.
Sounds pretty cool. I've already started hearing the single "Gravedigger" on the radio.
Track Listing:
1. Dodo
2. So Damn Lucky
3. Gravedigger
4. Some Devil
5. Grey Blue Eyes
6. Trouble
7. Save Me
8. Stay or Leave
9. An’ Another Thing
10. Oh
11. Baby
12. Up and Away
13. Too High
14. Gravedigger (acoustic)
Old 08-17-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High expectations. When's it due out?

Edit:

9/23 Answered my own question.

I just listened to gravedigger. This wasn't the sound i was expecting. I was really thinking it was going to be Dave on guitar, Tim, and maybe a bass. I was anticipating a lighter, less cluttered sound. But, It sounds just as "busy" as any other song by the Dave Matthews Band ... So why ditch the band at all this time around? Creative differences?

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 08-17-03 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-18-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Not sure about the reasoning behind it, but just from the info above, I too would have expected a more acoustic sound.
Old 08-18-03, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dave has said that these are songs that just wouldn't work with the rest of the band. I've heard a lot of the album (if you are a Warehouse member, you can hear clips.. and if you're not, they're around if you know where to look..), and it's definately not the same style as with the regular band.

The full songs that are out are "So Damn Lucky", "Save Me", and "Gravedigger". They were all played on radio specials, and are on the file sharing services. Clips of "Grey Blue Eyes", "Some Devil", and "Dodo" are the ones on the Warehouse site.

SDL sounds the most like a Dave Matthews Band song, the rest are the mroe different sounding ones.
Old 08-18-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does the Gravedigger version have the "Ring around the rosie" line that Dave sings on the live versions that I've heard? That would be pretty weak/Sesamie Street-ish if it did.
Old 08-18-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Does the Gravedigger version have the "Ring around the rosie" line that Dave sings on the live versions that I've heard? That would be pretty weak/Sesamie Street-ish if it did.
Yes, it includes the "ring around the rosy" line. I never liked that line, and thought it was the weakest part of the song, along with when he sings "nineteen forty to nineteen ninety... twooooo".

The rosy line though is very appropriate to the song, if you know the background behind the original nursery rhyme.

------

The Gravedigger video is also out now, and can be streamed here:

http://www.99x.com/RamFiles/vidpg_Da...ravedigger.ram
Old 08-18-03, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't heard any of his solo stuff, and I'm not typically a big DMB fan...certainly don't hate them though. How's the guitar work on the disc? Specifically, is Trey Anastasio fairly recognizable throughout the tracks? I'm a huge Phish fan and will definitely pick the disc up if he's pretty prevalent throughout.

Also, most probably have heard this rumor already, but apparently, Dave, Trey and Tim Reynolds will be touring together this fall.
Old 08-18-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I haven't heard any of his solo stuff, and I'm not typically a big DMB fan...certainly don't hate them though. How's the guitar work on the disc? Specifically, is Trey Anastasio fairly recognizable throughout the tracks? I'm a huge Phish fan and will definitely pick the disc up if he's pretty prevalent throughout.

Also, most probably have heard this rumor already, but apparently, Dave, Trey and Tim Reynolds will be touring together this fall.
Check out that Gravedigger video, it is Trey on guitar.
Old 09-19-03, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having gotten this album early, I thought I might post up some thoughts.

First, some background on me. I'm probably one of the biggest DMB fans you'll ever meet.. I'm one of those that has seen the band too many times to count, and have large binders full of hundreds of live CDs. (Concerts cataloged by year and taper .. I've got multiple copies of most shows.) Anyways, I'm one of those fans.

I was not entirely impressed with the preview clips from this album that were presented on the Warehouse site. I reserved judgement though, until I could hear the whole songs. So the early verdict? Still not totally impressed by this album.

A lot of people won't like this album if they are expecting the Dave Matthews Band. I don't like it for a different reason.. many of the songs are just plain boring. Overuse of the symphony, plus rather boring arrangements make some of the songs extremely monotonous.

There are a few stand outs though.. Save Me is very catchy, and Stay Or Leave combines old style DMB lyrics with a couple great vocal percussive tracks. The looping in this song was highly criticized when the preview clip was released.. you'll either love it or hate it. I think they really dirtied up the vocal loop, and I love it.

None of the songs are bad, but only a handful are great. It is still worth picking up if you are a fan.
Old 09-21-03, 04:41 PM

@pantala:

If you're a big DMB fan, you should know that often times it takes time to grow on you. I personally like the whole album -- of course I like some songs better than others, but who can say that that isn't the case with every CD/Album out there.
Old 09-22-03, 01:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on picking this up tomorrow.

I'm mildly skeptical as I'm not a huge fan of Dave solo (or with Tim Reynolds) as I prefer the whole band. But of course, in those instances he/they are usually playing the bands songs, so I notice all the stuff missing, where as these songs are new, so maybe I'll like them better.

At any rate, it's only $9.99 at Best Buy, so what the hell.
Old 09-22-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This is garbage.

I used to be a diehard Dave fan, but every studio effort after BTCS has licked some solid balls.

It's not that I've outgrown him since I still love the early stuff, but this new stuff just sucks, IMO. I've been listening the last few nights and I just can't get into it at all. There doesn't seem to be any emotion in this disc. All subdued singing for the most part, and that is, frankly.. boring.
Old 09-22-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Psychlowne
@pantala:

If you're a big DMB fan, you should know that often times it takes time to grow on you. I personally like the whole album -- of course I like some songs better than others, but who can say that that isn't the case with every CD/Album out there.
Well, maybe it takes time to grow on you. I, on the other hand, know what I like right off the bat. Mark six months from now on the calendar and bump this thread.. I guarantee you that I will still dislike the same songs (mostly "Some Devil", "Gray Blue Eyes", "Trouble", and "Baby").

I don't disagree with your statement that every CD has some songs that are good and some that are not as good, and if you read the last line of my last post, you'll see that I stated that myself.

To me, music is not like a cigar that gets better with age. If it doesn't catch me right away, there's a reason.

Since this isn't a DMB album, I'll just say on the side that I completely agree with Scorcho in saying that BTCS is the peak of DMB's catalog. I approached Everyday and Busted Stuff not expecting them to be better than BTCS, simply because I knew they couldn't be better. (Especially Everyday.)

Last edited by pantala; 09-22-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-23-03, 04:51 AM

I'm definitely picking this up tomorrow at BB. Can't wait (even after hearing some of it early).
Old 09-23-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked this up. Was looking forward to it for sure.

Pretty disappointing. Only heard it once, but for the most part it's very slow, boring, and uneventfull.

Don't care for the strings too much, they don't fit in too well. Trey and Tim's guitar work is the only saving-grace for me. But I don't anticiate listening to it too often.

Oh well.
Old 09-23-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pantala

Since this isn't a DMB album, I'll just say on the side that I completely agree with Scorcho in saying that BTCS is the peak of DMB's catalog. I approached Everyday and Busted Stuff not expecting them to be better than BTCS, simply because I knew they couldn't be better. (Especially Everyday.)
same here, BTCS=best DMB album imo although I enjoy both Everyday and Busted Stuff for the most part.
Old 09-23-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry to hijack, but its already been done. Crash is DMB's best album.
Old 09-23-03, 06:19 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
"Gravedigger... when you dig my grave... make it shallow... so I can feel the rain..."

With each new verse talking about someone else, I can't help but think of similar songs by The Crash Test Dummies and TLC...
Old 09-23-03, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Odd to hear that almost everyone on here is disliking this disc. I'm on track 8 right now (Stay or Leave), and it's probably the best thing Dave's done (next to Before These Crowded Streets, that is). I'm not a big DMB fan normally, and I bought this album primarily because it was only 10 bucks and for Trey. Dave has really impressed me though. This should be getting quite a few spins from me.
Old 09-24-03, 10:55 AM
Retired

I haven't picked this up yet. Best Buy was closed yesterday when I stopped by (still no power from the hurricane) and target didn't have it.

I did catch the little special on MTV2 last night. Dave played 2 new songs (So Damn Lucky and Save Me) accoustic by himself, and they showed the Grave Digger.

Not bad, I'm going to stop by best buy and hope they're open on my way home from work.
Old 09-24-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought I'd give a heads up to any DMB fans that stop by this thread in the next couple hours -- the NYC Central Park show is being streamed live at:

rtsp://live1-dmbinet.stream.aol.com/...ve_video_hi.rm

This show will also be released on DVD in November.
Old 09-24-03, 10:29 PM

Awesome show. I've never seen the band have that much energy in concert. I can't wait for the CD/DVD in November.
Old 09-25-03, 02:39 PM
Retired

Got it yesterday.

I like it quite a lot. I think some might be thrown off by expecting it to sound like DMB when it's not.

I'll have to listen to it more to give it a fair rating, but so far I've at least liked all the songs, and there's a couple I liked quite a bit.
Old 10-02-03, 01:38 PM
Retired

After listening to the album more, I have to say I love it. The only song I don't like is An' Another Thing.

My favorites are Stay or Leave, Gravedigger, Dodo and So Damn Lucky.