Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Dream Theater to be released on 11/11!(post includes album and song titles!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Dream Theater to be released on 11/11!(post includes album and song titles!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I agree not up there with SFAM but more solid than 6DOIT.
Old 12-10-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been listening to this a lot recently trying to get into it, and I'm still up in the air on it. I love "As I Am" and large portions of other tracks, but on the whole, it's just "too much." Each track starts off great, and then I just get tired of listening to it and want to move to the next one. That's not good. To be fair, I'm coming from the prog side, and this is more metal, so it's understandable that I'm not going to love it.

Anyway, not a bad album but not my favorite either. I guess it ranks around the middle as something I might listen to every once in a while but that won't be in regular rotation.

das
Old 02-04-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
an excellent album so far. and this is my first dream theater album. do most of there albums have the speed metal sound, or do all of their albums sound different.
Old 02-05-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they're all very different
this is their heaviest cd since, well, ever, but they've had fast songs on pretty much each album (especially Images and Words and Awake)

Regardless, they're all worth checking out.

btw: if you're liking this album, and haven't yet done so, check out Symphony X's The Odyssey. They're another great prog metal (and more to the metal than prog side) band.
Old 02-05-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
what edclem said. Maybe you can find them cheap at a used cd shop. Each is worth owning. I think Awake and I&W are a great place to start. And if you are up for something different Metropolis:Part II - Scenes From a Memory. Their best album, but not as heavy as the rest of their stuff. It has heavy parts but on the whole more melodic and the focus is on the story and style instead of "let's show off our talents" type of speed playing.
Old 02-06-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats the general thought on "a change of seasons". allmusic said that its one of the most impressive albums by a prog metal band.
and what is consitered "progressive metal/rock". looking more for a definition.