Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

For Savatage fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-03, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Savatage fans

OK, this could go in movie or music news, but since Savatage fans are more likely to recognize the significance of this...

Last night I went to see "28 Days Later." Amongst the preview trailers was one for the movie "Veronica Guerrin," the reporter whose problems with drug dealers and corruption was the inspiration for the song "Complaint in the System (Veronica Guerrin)" off the CD "Wake of Magellan."
Old 07-07-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Savatage is one of the best metal bands ever!

I don't get it that bands like Savatage, Overkill and Anthax puts out great metal album after great metal album yet all people talk about it the complete garbage that is known as Metallica.
Old 07-07-03, 08:10 AM
Banned

Because Savatage won't sell out to the pop-rock masses. They won't make radio-friendly songs.

Lots of other reasons. I agree, it's sad that they get no attention at all, when crap like Alternica and all this "Nu Metal" junk gets played all the time.
Old 07-07-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Savatage used to get a lot of airplay on Z-Rock... that was where I first discovered them. Then I realized that their older stuff was even cooler.

Am I the only one who never understood exactly how Complaint in The System actually related to the rest of Wake of Magellan? I like the song and love the album, but it just didn't seem to tie in to anything else.

Mordred
Old 07-07-03, 04:28 PM
Banned

From the story:

A little further down the beach Hector saw what appeared to be a young man asleep under a weathered pier. But when the ocean sent a wave that gently brushed up against the boy's feet, the youth did not stir, and the sailor realized that the man was dead. Scattered around his body were several small packets with the words, "Blackjack Guillotine," imprinted on them as well as used hypodermic needles.

The ocean whispered to him that it was a brand of heroin and that the boy had overdosed. The sailor asked how such a young person, with obviously so much to live for, could have gotten started on such a deadly poison, and the ocean replied that it had been a gift on his eighteenth birthday from a friend. The old man picked up the boy's jacket which had been laying beside him and covered the body with it, while the ocean pushed a waterlogged funeral wreath with the name Veronica Guerin written on it in gold foil still clinging to the leaves.

The name was meaningless to him, but he asked the ocean if it did not think it inappropriate to steal a wreath from the dead. The ocean explained that it had belonged to an Irish reporter who had been killed for fighting the drug lords in her country, and she was sure the reporter would not mind.

Basically, I think the dead youth and the story of Veronica was part of Hector learning about the world outside his small village. There were bad things out there, but good, decent people as well. Seeing as he was contemplating suicide, it makes sense.
Old 07-08-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JestersTear
Basically, I think the dead youth and the story of Veronica was part of Hector learning about the world outside his small village. There were bad things out there, but good, decent people as well. Seeing as he was contemplating suicide, it makes sense.
I suppose thats true, it just still seems like a somewhat tenuous connection at best. Of course I really shouldn't be complaining, Magellan is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Mordred
Old 07-09-03, 01:23 AM

I too saw that trailer...didn't make the connection though, despite being a huge Sava fan. Pretty cool.
Old 07-09-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JestersTear
Because Savatage won't sell out to the pop-rock masses. They won't make radio-friendly songs.
And because they're really quite cheesy. I mean, I love them and all, but thems the facts.
Old 07-09-03, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Aghama
And because they're really quite cheesy. I mean, I love them and all, but thems the facts.
There are no facts, only opinions, when it comes to liking a band.

Personally, I think that songs like "Chance," "One Child," and "Morphine Child" are rather complex songs that most acts couldn't dream of trying to write or perform. Infinitely better than the clone "nu metal" acts that are shoved at us every day.