Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

love at first listen Vs. it's growing on me

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm sure we have all listen to songs or albums and didn't really care for them. but we listen a few more times and then a song here and there grows on you so you listen to those few songs again and again. hear and there you accidently listen to a song inbetween and start to like that. next thing you know you like nearly the whole album and wonder why it took you so long to discover how good it was.

how would that album compare to an album or song that you liked alot the first time you heard it?

i find in most cases, down the road i will like both, but the one i didn't care for at first will have an edge.

how do others feel about that?

and also related; hearing a song on the radio alot.... not extremely played out, but hearing it often enough and liking it more after a few listens. do you feel manipulated by the radio/marketing/what have you, or do you feel the song has merit you just didn't understand at the first few times?
Old 06-11-03, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
It's definitely been my experience that records that don't grab me immediately will ultimately be my favorites, whereas things that I enjoy instantly will often date quickly and become tiresome to me.
Old 06-11-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This happened to me with Sigur Ros - Hlemmur. I thought it was pretty, as all their songs are, but not enduring and I just didn't listen to it for awhile. Then I sat up one night reading and I wanted to drown out the TV from downstairs - thin walls - so I put that in thinking it wasn't engaging enough to take away from the reading and would work well as a buffer. It just so turned out the disc was the perfect soundtrack for the last 100 pages of this book.

Almost all of my favorite albums don't strike me immediately.
Old 06-11-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely the indispensable albums, the ones that stand the test of time, tend to be the ones that you don't necessarily 'get' the first time. They have depth. Or they have a sound you're not accustomed to. This process of discovery is one of the greatest experiences in listening to music, I think.