Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The official St. Anger review and thoughts thread!!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How is St. Anger?
***** Must Have: A classic
10.13%
**** Excellent
11.39%
*** Good
17.72%
** Fair
13.92%
* Poor
46.84%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

The official St. Anger review and thoughts thread!!

Old 06-10-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're both hilarious!

What IS up with that crab walk that Rob does on the DVD? Very dorky.
Old 06-11-03, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Goat3001
I disagree. St. Anger sounds like a mix of Kill Em All and a Meshuggah album.
I know that the guys in Metallica are fans of Meshuggah, but I did not hear anything that sounded like Meshuggah on St. Anger.

Nothing like Korn, Limp or whoever.
That I can agree with. Except the lyrics are a bit weak on St. Anger like Limp and Korn.

Last edited by Edge; 06-11-03 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-11-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the review on Metal Sludge pretty much sums it up

http://www.metal-sludge.com/Review2003Metallica.htm

Metal Sludge - "METALLICA "St. Anger"
by Ozzy Stillbourne

Songs: 5 Frayed Ends Of Sanity out of 10.
I've listened to this CD numerous times and I can't remember how any of these songs go, and that isn't because I'm a crackhead. Nothing is memorable. There wasn't one time where I thought, "that's cool riff" or "that's a cool hook." The riffs are all generic metal riffs that you might see any metal band do. Nothing stands out in that department. In fact, there isn't even a guitar solo anywhere on this CD. Did Kirk even show up to the studio? I know he's not in the video much.
Speaking of people who might not have showed up, did Bob Rock show up? As a lot of people have already said, the drums on this CD sound like a bucket of ****. The snare sounds very tin like as if Lars is using a trash can instead of a snare. Stupid. James' vocals at time sound a bit harsh, and not harsh in a good way. Overall it's a muddy production. It makes "...And Justice For All" sound like it got a good mix!
The lyrics are mostly forgettable and deal with James' rehab and personal **** like that. After hearing all this, I think James needs to go back to drinking Jager right away! And give Kirk and Lars some blow, it might do them good.
If I had to pick, the songs I can tolerate to a degree are "Frantic," "Dirty Window," and "The Unnamed Feeling." Yet even in those songs, there are parts that I could do without. There isn't an entire song from start to finish that I enjoy. Songs that make me feel stupider for hearing them include but are not limited to "Invisible Kid," "My World," "Shoot Me Again," "Purify," "All Within My Hands,"and most of the rest.
Just because the songs are heavier, and faster, and longer doesn't make it a good song. The tempo changes and stops and starts sound like they are being done for no reason and don't enhance the songs at all. When Metallica did that sort of stuff back in the day, it all fit and made sense. This sounds like a cluster****. There is no ****ing structure. It sounds like something a young, unprofessional band would do because they were trying to impress you with their speed and complicated arrangements, when all it really does is just become annoying and overkill. Sounds like they were trying too hard.

Comments:
I wanted to like this CD, kids. I really did. And while this isn't the worst CD I've ever heard, it's the worst Metallica CD I've ever heard. I know you won't read too many other reviews that will say that because your Blenders, Rolling Stones, Spins, Metal Edges, Kerrangs, etc, all have to kiss Metallica's ass if they want to do business with them, but not us. Metallica ain't going to be doing 20 Questions with us anytime soon, so we give no shits if we hurt anybody's feelings here. If you want a good metal CD, pick up the new Anthrax or Black Label Society. Those two CDs are actually better than this, but of course "St. Anger" will sell millions just because the name Metallica is on it. There are numerous bands out there that have better CDs than this but will never get the recognition that this will. If this didn't have the name "Metallica" on it and was just some other band, then I don't really see too many people giving this the time of day or being impressed, but since it's Metallica, we all ran out to buy it. I did. And I'm a ****ing sheep. They could release an album full of static and it would sell 5 million copies.
The CD does come with a DVD of the band performing every song off this CD, and I actually like the DVD mix better than the CD mix. The drums actually sound like drums and it sounds a bit better live, but the downfall is having to look at Lars stick out his tongue whenever he drums too hard, so who wants to deal with that?"
Old 06-11-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by turborobb
http://www.metal-sludge.com/Review2003Metallica.htm

Metal Sludge - "METALLICA "St. Anger"
by Ozzy Stillbourne

the downfall is having to look at Lars stick out his tongue whenever he drums too hard, so who wants to deal with that?"
Old 06-11-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sooo glad I didn't buy this yesterday.
Old 06-11-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Sooo glad I didn't buy this yesterday.
Understatement of the year... wasn't even worth a download.

-k
###
Old 06-11-03, 05:52 PM

Lots have complained about the sound, but no one has pointed out that it is the best so far Bob Rock has produced. The Black Album, Load, Reload.... sounded too manufactured. With St Anger, it tries to be different and I think it's because of that -- compare with other manufactured albums around -- why it is so good. The most dubious element of this recording is the drum sound, without a question. When Lars beats out a solo, the sound is discomforting and I'd argue that's what makes it good! The reverb puts a heightened degree of interest in it. When the guitar riffs come in, I think the guitar and the drum have a perfect balance, which is a marked improvement on Bob Rock's earlier productions. It just strikes me as less of a cold, mechanised, boring production than what we're used to these days.

Here's how Saint Anger grades in my books in relation to the other albums:
1. Ride the Lightning [A]
For Whom the Bell Tolls [A], Fade to Black [A], The Call of Ktulu [B], Ride the Lightning [B]
2. Master of Puppets [A]
Master of Puppets [A], Welcome Home [A], Orion [B]
3. The Black Album
Enter Sandman [A], The Unforgiven [A], Don't Tread on Me [B], Wherever I May Roam [B], Sad But True [B], Through the Never [B]
4. Kill 'Em All [A]
The Four Horsemen [A], Whiplash [B]
5. And Justice for All [B+]
One [A], Blackened [A], Dyers Eve [B], And Justice for All [B], Harvester of Sorrow [B]
6. St Anger [C]
Some Kind of Monster [B], St Anger [B], Sweet Amber [B]
7. Load [C]
The Outlaw Torn [B], Bleeding Me [B], Hero of the Day [B], Until it Sleeps [B]
8. Re-Load [C]
The Memory Remains [B], The Unforgiven Two [B], Fixxxer [B]

I'd say the music writing is better than average, but after 7 years it's less than what you'd expect! It's less diverse, and easy to listen to than probably the last 3 albums; but it certainly has the same kind of groove of the last 2.

It's average grade C, and from what I can tell about the new R/Head album, that's a D. That's really just an indication of the bands potential, and this album in my view scores an 8 out of 10 in terms of personal rating. Fear Factory is a noted influence, in terms of the thrashy drum beats and riffing.
Old 06-11-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only listened to a few tracks, but that's the worst sounding drumkit (especially the snare) I think I've ever heard recorded.

added: Now that I've gotten through the rest of the disc, I think it's best described as rotting tripe. (IMO) It took 6 years to come up with this steaming pile of dung? Give me a break.

Last edited by edclem; 06-11-03 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-12-03, 12:44 AM
Banned

The album is crap but has some great moments:
1. When you push pause on your player OR
2. When you push stop on the same player.
Old 06-12-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These are funny:

http://www.guitar.com/cda/discuss/re...sageID=3055614

http://www.guitar.com/cda/discuss/re...sageID=3064107

http://www.guitar.com/cda/discuss/re...sageID=3071628
Old 06-12-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze

I remember the days of when Metallica marched to their own drum. I remember when other bands use to try and sound like Metallica, not the other way around. I remember when Metallica use to influence rock, not imitate it.

Call me an old fart all you want, but at least I remember when Metallica were honest with themselves and their music. I never had a mullet, I never even owned a Master of Puppets jersey... but I do remember when Metallica put out good music.

-k
###

Amen Amen Amen.

Sorry guys, I'm not an old fart (25), nor do I have or ever had a mullet, but the first 10 years of Metallica's music releases (I'll include the Black album, even though it was the beginning of the end) blows away this stuff.

I remember when Metallica use to influence rock, not imitate it.

IMO, this says it best. People need to stop thinking that you have to change your sound to "keep up". If you make good music, then you're going to sell records. When I see praises for this cd, Load, etc, I wonder if the people listening to it ever listened to ..And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc.

I was so hoping that this CD would be good. I kept reading reviews saying that St. Anger sounded like their older stuff. Whatever reviewer wrote that is a dirty dirty liar.
Old 06-12-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was some funny stuff

Old 06-12-03, 11:37 AM

Those are amazing! Lovin' it.

Yes I do like St. Anger, but when something's funny, it's funny.
Old 06-12-03, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by dgmayor
When I see praises for this cd, Load, etc, I wonder if the people listening to it ever listened to ..And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc.
Man, its comments like these that make alot of *og* Metallica fans the most anoying people in the world. You know maybe I actually LIKE their new stuff. I have an OPEN MIND to new types of sound from a band, and when they attempt it I dont moan and cry like a baby begging for music that was done almost 20 years ago. And yes I do listen to their earlier efforts quite often. But I'm not expecting Metallica to re-invent the wheel now. How can you possibly expect them to top the greatest metal records of all time? I sure as hell dont. But I will continue to enjoy and support one of my favorite bands of all time.
Old 06-12-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

.... and their downword spiral continues.

Love the cartoons.

-k
###
Old 06-12-03, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MJKTool
Man, its comments like these that make alot of *og* Metallica fans the most anoying people in the world. You know maybe I actually LIKE their new stuff. I have an OPEN MIND to new types of sound from a band, and when they attempt it I dont moan and cry like a baby begging for music that was done almost 20 years ago. And yes I do listen to their earlier efforts quite often. But I'm not expecting Metallica to re-invent the wheel now. How can you possibly expect them to top the greatest metal records of all time? I sure as hell dont. But I will continue to enjoy and support one of my favorite bands of all time.
Well said.
Old 06-12-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
When I see praises for this cd, Load, etc, I wonder if the people listening to it ever listened to ..And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc.
I wonder as well....

Also, people buy the name not the quality. I listened to the CD this past weekend and it was average at best. It's been a few years since there was quality=Metallica.

I wonder how many returns there will be.

You want some metal? Pick up the new album by Anthrax, it runs circles around this.
Old 06-13-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Metallica would have kept making the same style CD's everyone would bitch because they keep releasing the same stuff.

The CD has it's faults, and probably won't be in my top ten list this year.

I seriously doubt anyone will be able to top Lamb of God's new one for the metal album of the year.
Old 06-13-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
this is why I stoped making any comments on this thread 'cause It started out as good "I LIKE", "I Don't Like" w/ good opinion comments... then people started saying the same thing over and over... with what some fkn reviewer said [using them as a "back up"]... then NOW is just stupid and ignorant... anyway that's no more post for me on this thread... see ya [DB27 and MJKTOOL], I'll be around... GREAT album by the way

Last edited by gerrythedon; 06-13-03 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-14-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This just in: The new Metallica cd still sucks!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

-k
###
Old 06-14-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
This just in: The new Metallica cd still sucks!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

-k
###
Old 06-14-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cerial442

-k
###
Old 06-14-03, 11:52 PM

I think it's their best album since justice. the sound is very original and very raw. feels like vulgar display of power. no complaints. sure kirk is no marty friedman but he is quite good on this album. I like the sound, it comes off like their early recordings.
Old 06-15-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sinister
I think it's their best album since justice. the sound is very original and very raw. feels like vulgar display of power. no complaints. sure kirk is no marty friedman but he is quite good on this album. I like the sound, it comes off like their early recordings.
I think it's the best since the "black" album, but even with the faults (I agree with every negative comment so far), it's better than Load/Reload.

Oddly, the only two Metallica songs I've liked since the Black album came out are "I disappear" and "No Leaf Clover," neither of which were on a studio album.

Re; St. Anger... the chorus part of "St. Anger" reminds me (oddly enough, perhaps slightly ironic) of older Megadeth, although the "flush it out...flush it out" lyric reminds me of "NuMetal"

...For some reason "Shoot me again" reminds me of Faith No More's Angel Dust album.

Other songs, I just can't comment on because -- for good or ill -- they all run together and don't reach out to me.

Edit: okay, "Dirty Window" screams for a Richard Cheese rendition (although any lounge-style cover will do).

Last edited by TeeSeeJay; 06-15-03 at 01:38 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.