Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The official St. Anger review and thoughts thread!!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How is St. Anger?
***** Must Have: A classic
10.13%
**** Excellent
11.39%
*** Good
17.72%
** Fair
13.92%
* Poor
46.84%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

The official St. Anger review and thoughts thread!!

Old 06-05-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy ANTHRAX "We Come For You All" , the best Metal album so far this year.
Old 06-05-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cactusoly
Buy ANTHRAX "We Come For You All" , the best Metal album so far this year.
I really think you mean Lamb of God "As the Palaces Burn" as the best metal album of the year.

Anthrax's new one was good though.
Old 06-05-03, 07:37 PM

I listened to a tiny bit of it today, and it seems pretty good to me. I'm not a huge Metallica fan or anything (own "Ride" and "Puppets"), so I don't judge every note they play like their lives depend on it.

Yes, the recording is "raw" and technically "bad", but it's bad in a good way. Everything is far from perfect sounding like you'd expect from a current major label release, but that's part of its appeal to me. When you really think about it, it's pretty much what Metallica would sound like playing in your bedroom/basement/etc. I mean that in the sense that a live, loud, metal band isn't gonna sound like a Pink Floyd album or something. I can understand the complaints. I'm just trying to point out that it's not horrible sounding when taken into context. Maybe I'm just a bit lax on my standards being brought up on old indie/punk albums that really WERE recorded in a basement.
Old 06-05-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
The fact that they're trying to imitate every other hard rock band out there.
But every other hard rock band out there is imitating early Metallica--so who's imitating who?

And as for all you naysayers who are complaining about the poor sound quality, know this: St. Anger was intended to sound poor, like a garage recording from Metallica's early days. They are trying to return to their roots, and I personally believe that the end result is their best album since the Black Album.

Favorite track so far: Some Kind Of Monster
Old 06-05-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
St. Anger was intended to sound poor
Well they achived their goal.

-k
###
Old 06-05-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I finish up my first listening to this album (ending the Purify track now and starting final track "all within my hands", my initial response is as follows:

I like this album. There's some damn heavy stuff on here, and I like it. A lot. Yes it is raw. For some the rawness is a bad thing. No complaints from me. No tracks on here that I dislike on first listen. That's a good sign for me. With repeat listens it'll continue to grow upon me. Favorite track at the moment is My World.

My immediate bitchings: the drum that others have pointed out. I was listening to the first 3 or so songs in my car on the way home from work, and I was wondering what the "pinging" sound was, and thought that my speakers had finally gone BEYOND blown to the point of no repair. However, upon coming here, I see I'm not the only one to hear it. As someone else said, it's something that either drives you totally mental, or you get used to it/it tends to fade in and out from song to song. I fall in the "get used to it" crowd on that one.

The other gripe: no guitar solos. It was the one thing I loved to hear from Metallica, and it let me know that Kirk Hammet was indeed contributing to the album in some capacity. In concerts past, it seemed that Kirk played a chord or two a bit, but really shined in the guitar solos that he wrote. Reminds me of when Pantera did this same thing in that sense, that they yanked the solos...but thankfully for Dimebag Darrel, he is(was?) the only guitarist in the band, so you knew that it was still all him. Kirk unfortunately is lost in this album (at least for me).

I guess that's it for the moment...I'll post additional thoughts as they come to me.

Oh yeah, overall, I'd give the sucker a four * review.....or I guess...****.

EDITED TO ADD: I've been a fan of Metallica for quite some time. I started listening right around the time that ...And Justice For All came out, and I have enjoyed everything they've put out from Kill 'Em All, straight thru to this point, St. Anger. Yes, that includes Load and Reload, as well as the S&M album. They spent 4 albums (Kill 'Em thru Justice) writing some pretty complex and intricate riffs/music. Some of that still exists thru the albums since that point, but it certainly was not the focal point that it was on albums past. Thankfully, I didn't expect St. Anger to be a step back to those times, I just don't think that's possible. They stopped writing albums like that I think because they were done doing that. Bands move on and change, or they become stale writing the same stuff over and over again. Some people want the same old, some don't. I'm not saying that either is right or wrong. I'm simply saying that this post is too long and I'm done.

Oh wait, and I'm surprised that for all of you who don't like this album haven't changed a few letters in the title and renamed it St. Anker (or St. Inker). (c:

Last edited by harpo787; 06-05-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 08:46 PM

I picked it up today with both great anticipation and slight hesitation. I wanted so badly for this disc to be awesome. I've been a fan since Puppets, and really enjoy all of their stuff, both old and new.

As I listened to the disc, I grew more disappointed with each note. It reminds me of something a local band would turn out. James' voice is terrible on many of the songs. He used to have an angry growl that just isn't there anymore. The snare drum throughout is annoying to the point of hearing ONLY that when listening to a song. There are a few bright spots, but most of them are quickly overshadowed with some cheesy lyrics or terrible singing (or that annoying snare again).

As I got through the disc, I coudn't help but hope that the included paper with access to the MetallicaVault thing was some sort of redemption code to get the "real" St. Anger. To say I am terribly disappointed in this disc is an understatement. I guess it will get thrown in the colection with some others, but I can't see it being something I listen to very much. Fortunately, there are plenty of previous Metallica discs that will still get regular play.
Old 06-05-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have not seen one positive review from any website. It's not a bad album. The Loads were dissed really bad, but not as bad as this album. It makes me wonder if this will be Metallicas final outing. Seriously 80% of the reviews of this album have been negative.
Old 06-05-03, 09:21 PM
Registered

Posted this to the Metallica Forum, thought I'd repost here

Sure with a high end system you can re-eq the CD so that it sounds better than a flat eq. But the question is, should you have to re-eq one of Elecktra Records biggest releases of the year?

I am the editor of a DVD site, and as such have several different test systems, everything from a low end DVD/CD player up to a much higher end system. I've run the CD and DVD through all our test systems (did a side by side comparison between the CD and DVD) compared the sound FIDELITY to Re-Loaded, Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightning. To my ear (and that's all I can use to judge) St. Anger sounded by far the lowest in terms of audio fidelity. I was able to re-eq the CD to bring out some of the high tones and boost some of the mid level base - but still they are thin. Out of the box the DVD sounded CONSIDERABLY better than the CD and had a far greater range of sound. I'd encourage people to listen to the crispness of the high end guitar and the cymbol hits on the DVD, you won't find those nearly as clear on the CD.

Again, my issue with St. Anger is the fidelity of the sound NOT the Mix. Every producer is going to bring out a different element of a bad and if Metallica wanted to make St. Anger sound more 'blended' in terms of all the elements, then that's great. But there's a technical issue here with this CD that I think really needs to be addressed. I don't know if something happened in the mastering phase, duplication or what, but I can say that something DID happen.

In my mind this technical issue is a significant one and I do see it as a technical one.
Old 06-05-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

best buy was selling them on the 4th and I picked it up. after a couple of days listening to it I am still not sure if I like it. the sound is extremly rough like it was recorded in someones garage. as far as the music goes, well, its different.
Old 06-05-03, 11:22 PM

The Best Review I've Read--Ever.

I came across this morsel of a review for St. Anger on Metallica's official forum. Long read, but well worth it.

I would have placed a link but you have to register to access the forum.

WARNING: LONG. If you dare to continue, please do me the favor of actually reading, not skimming, what follows.

Hey guys n' gals. Longtime reader/ghost/guest n00b, and only the recent changes to the boards (to keep most of the morons out) have inclined me to register and post. I'm going to throw my .02 cents into the million-dollar burning stack of voices.

My reasons for writing this are purely selfish. I've been searching long and hard for a *real* review of this album. Not a thumbs up or down, but explanations. Not a review written by a Metallica fan or a metal-magazine freelancer, who will be overtly biased. Not a review written by a guy who DJs pop for a living. I seek an in-depth review by someone who's just an ordinary fan of music, and I've been unable to locate it (since the CD just launched).

Thus, I figured I would write one myself and capture some flames to keep myself warm. Take it with salt and piss it out in the morning; it is only one man's opinion, and you are free to agree or disagree with it. Please exercise patience, since I said "in-depth" and this will be long, as I think I owe it to you all to justify my opinions. Oh, and a note about reviews... reviews are done with words, which makes things doubly difficult. Movies, for example, were meant to be seen, not read; music was meant to be heard and experienced, not read.

----

After six years of seemingly endless rifts, schisms, insurrections, and successions (and that's just within the band, much less the fanbase), Metallica has been dusted off the shelf and lands back on the charts with ST. ANGER. The original trio of James Hetfield (vocals/rhythm guitar), Lars Ulrich (drums), and Kirk Hammett (lead guitar/backing vocals) remains in full force; "overproducer" Bob Rock is back, and has also elected to fill in on bass and songwriting duties for this turn, due to the recent departure of bassist Jason Newsted. A cloud of uncertainty lingers over the band at this very moment, and there's no way to know what the future holds, for the album or the band.

Initially, I decided to give this CD the benefit a doubt and a minimum of 2 days and 100* listens, just to digest it -- no matter what my first impressions of it were. My first impressions were something along the lines of "loud", "ticked off", and "aggressive". It's heavy enough to hurt your testicles (or gonads), and yet keeps enough speed and thrash to give you whiplash, no pun intended. That, however, is just style, and style does not necessarily equate quality. In order to figure out whether St. Anger is actually good, I've gone ahead and detailed the songs.

Frantic: The opening song is as close to pure thrash as Metallica may ever get again, evoking memories of their debut album, Kill Em All. The song begins with a frenzied tempo and launches quickly into its main melody. The song's primary interlude takes a slower, more melodic tempo, and undergoes furious timeshifts as the rest of the song unfolds. Frantic is definitely going to be a winner with any fan who values energy and aggression in their musical playlists, but comes up a bit short on structure and depth.

St. Anger: Like a stapler to the head, this song packs quite a wallop in terms of energy but falls short in substance -- much like the emotion of anger itself. The song begins quickly, shooting off into a very heavy rampage of guitars and drums, before just as quickly halting itself for a calmer, quieter section of introspection. Something interesting happens at the halfway point; the music ceases all of its momentum, only to repeat itself in a shorter, slightly different variation. St. Anger keeps you trapped in a wild cycle that ranges from somber to "crack-your-skull-on-a-brick-wall".

Some Kind of Monster: This is my favorite track on the album by a mile, and has intangibles that I can't begin to rate. It just works, and the band knows it. It starts off with "the gothic vibe", a place visited by bands like Tool and NIN on a daily basis, but Metallica has only been here two or three times in their 20+ year career. It moves slowly -- for minutes and minutes without lyrics -- through different melodies, distortions, and timeshifts, before exploding into one of the fattest grooves/hooks in years; one of those riffs that sticks to the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. It's what I call a perpetual motion riff; a riff that builds off its own momentum like a feedback loop. The gothic vibe I referred to is just the foundation, as the song itself slings through an insanely complex structure and composition before arriving at its climax. The song even sneaks in a backing chant at the end that's... quite different. This song just oozes fun and creepy, and isn't really a headbanger. For me, Some Kind of Monster sums up the general schizophrenia of the entire album; fans will either think this the best song or they will look at it as though it was covered in leeches. Should blow over quite well with fans who place the Justice album or "The Thing That Should Not Be" and at the top of their lists (structure and vibe over headbanging).

Dirty Window: Another groove-driven engine with more boogie than headbang/mosh pit value. Starts off fast and stays there -- until a FANTASTIC, drop-your-pants slow pre-chorus that would be more at home in a hip-hop album than Metallica -- and then reshifts into a full-growl chorus/chant that's sure to be a concert favorite. Towards the end of the song, there's a hysterical little laugh that James gives; Dirty Window is all fun and guts. Not going to be a favorite of those who expect serious blood out of every track.

Invisible Kid: Another love-it-or-leave it track that belongs on an album unto inself; I can't tell where in the Metallica universe this one belongs, because it's way WAY out there. It begins with a rolling riff that will undoubtedly get the most fingers pointed at it for being derivative of other modern bands, and slips into a mid-tempo lyrical section. Not for headbangers, not for groove-monsters, and not for those with short attention spans, exceeding 8 minutes. Possibly the most melody-driven track on St. Anger, and will be a heavy cult favorite with some.

My World: With My World, the band goes right back into fast, fat, riff-crunching boogie metal, and is even more "fun" than Dirty Window. This song appears to be a giant middle finger to critics and opponents -- and maybe fans, too -- who thought Metallica was gone. There's nothing more I can really analyze about this song, it's just one heckuva jam. It's Metallica's World.

Shoot Me Again: This track switches back to the heavy, atmospheric metal sound, keeping a good beat in the meanwhile. James gets to have some fun with his vocals here, using both spoken word/growl, slow melody, and finally, screaming. The song glides from metal to grunge to blues to thrash and back again. This one is Vintage Metallica, and will evoke a mixed reaction, because you can taste as much "Load" in it as "Lightning". I dig it just for the emotional value.

Sweet Amber: It begins with a soft, odd guitar lick, and spins off into a quick high-fret riff. This track is as unique as "Invisible Kid", and is in a whole other place than the rest of the album. The timeshifts and riffing are all over the map here, spending a moment in Jerry Cantrell's house, before returning to Kill Em All territory, and then running off to find Ozzy somewhere. I'm not a fan of this song (as you can tell) but I know more than enough to confidently state that this song, too, will have its placeholders. Very melodic, lyrically-driven, and could be a lot of fun if you enjoy varying musical styles.

The Unnamed Feeling: Get your lighters out. This ain't no ballad, but here we have the atmosphere-soaked, blood-dripping, heavy-as-hell mood song. The vocals take center stage here, but in my opinion, are not properly supported by the music. There's a very fat, dirt-eating riff in here, that's balanced out by more melody. Gonna be a hit with the emotion-seekers but this track doesn't reach (or strive for) the epic. Kirk's fingerprints are all over the music here... stack it with Hero of the Day or Welcome Home (Sanitarium).

Purify: Whether you think it's "Purify" or "Pure If I", the song is a nice, staggered, rhythm-crackling yarn. The tempo-shifts and halts in the song take some getting used to, but man is it heavy. Part headbang, part moshpit, part pure thrash-jam rock city, the song has definite moments in it but doesn't meet my needs for consistency.

All Within My Hands: Ah ha, here's the epic track. Heavy, emotionally raw, and focused, the closing track sacrifices nothing in the way of soul and power to achieve its aims of structure and melody. Plenty of complex stuff for the more musically-attuned listener, from headsplitting timeshifts to dropping a bombed-out riff for a few seconds of finger-picking acoustics. James takes his lyric-writing and singing all the way here, too, allowing himself to grow more and more depraved in lieu of perfect pitch. Oh, and the end of the song -- the end of the album -- manages to end with the music and James wrapped in a crescendo of "KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL". Couldn't have ended an album like this any better way.

On The Production: Okay, this is a dead-zone topic. If Metallica produces a flawless record with crisp sounds, pitch-perfect vocals, and tight editing, the fans scream that it's too commercial and rehearsed. If Metallica produces a flawed record where the guitars and drums are loud but the vocals and bass are askew, the fans scream in protest again. So now Metallica has produced, with St. Anger, a mix that is plain LOUD, going for a garage-band rawness where nothing is perfect and nothing appears to be rehearsed. Guess what? The fans will complain anyway. Admittedly, some of the roughshod drum sounds are a bit much, and James' singing has been selected based on the best overall, emotionally complete take, and not reconstructed and remixed piece by piece to hide pitch or voice cracking problems. Hey, I like the decision, the result is an energy that's usually only present on a live album and that vibe translates in a much more beneficial way than endless remixing would have.

On the Solos, or Lack Thereof: There are no solos, and that will scare off many purists and fans who just require such things in their music. There are men who will only date women with big breasts. There are basketball fans who will turn off a game if their team is losing or there are no "posterized" dunks. It is my opinion that solos would have distracted from the overall value and intensity of this album, and apparently the band agrees with me. As long as the music doesn't suffer, or is rather made better, I don't care if you add a DJ or an orchestra. Listening is done with the heart, not the head.

On the Lyrics & Vocals: On a songwriting level, the lyrics (read: poetry) has dropped off a bit, but that's what happens when your bands sober up. Seriously. Anyone who starts yamming about Maynard Keenan of Tool needs to understand that Tool is shooting for an existential level, and half the band is on either ketamine, LSD, or psilocybin mushrooms. That's fine, Metallica was on coke and alcohol, and rule the playground of surface emotions. Now James, and indeed the entire band, has the chance to reflect with newfound eyes, who they were and who they are. This is fine with me, I never expect Plato to come out of James' mouth, and the new writing fits the new songwriting.

Vocally speaking, James is indeed getting older, but he actually pushes it further than he ever has before. At times, his voice actually descends into the "metal growl" which I have not heard from James before -- James always had his own growl, and he uses that too -- as well as some balls-out screaming that we haven't heard since Kill Em All, or more accurately, since Axl Rose hung up his skullcap. This is not a bad thing, and given, James doesn't always succeed with what he's shooting for. I give the band, and specifically James, props for leaving the bad on the album with the good... the flaws make the effort even more worthwhile.

On the Guitars: Guess what? Kirk is here. Not only is he here, but he's playing! You can't hear it? Not my problem. Kirk's duties on St. Anger are well beyond what he's ever been asked to do; almost every song has an augmented rhythm riff that Kirk is being asked to play. If he's not hovering around a lead, Kirk is busy following James' guitar an octave above or below, or adding in a few extra notes that make it seem like there are four guitars in Metallica. As for James, his reign as king of power-rhythm-riffs is quite secure. The next best competitor is halfway down the world, and he only pulls further away with St. Anger. James shows off his ability to finger-pick, play baritone, strum acoustic -- all in the middle of bombing metal riffs. Not bad for an aging star, but hey, even Barry Bonds is getting better.

On the Drums: No, Lars has not learned a new drumming style, or pulled out a set that's never been heard from him before. What he does prove, on this album, is that he still knows how to drum his ass off and rattle off machine-gun beats and double-bass kicks. That's all I ever ask from a guy like Lars, and he's doing more than his job. Just like James will never channel Plato, I don't ask Lars to learn Tabla or Eastern drumming. That's not Metallica, that's something else. The drums on St. Anger are fast, hard, and controlling; they don't quite reach the complexity (or take a spotlight) as with the Justice album; rather, the speed and beat of the drums evokes the Lightning-Master era. Some of the beats have a very tin sound, which fits the music, but will annoy some listeners (the bass often has more snap than the snare).

On the Bass: Bob Rock is just fine here. The bass has always been a supporting player in the Metallica system, and unless someone loses an arm, always will be, regardless of who's in the backfield for this band. New bassist Rob Trujillo is not present on this album, and he was brought in solely for his live stage energy. While Trujillo is best known for being in Ozzy Osbourne's rhythm section, he did a tour with the Jerry Cantrell team, and proved what we knew all along: he can lay down a melodic groove with the best of them. In future albums, he probably won't be asked any such thing; Metallica revolves around Hetfields' power chords and riffs.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS: In terms of the "heavy" and mind-blowing structures, this is easily the band's most ambitious offering since 1989's "...And Justice for All", yet it still manages to keep the melodic progress made during more recent years. It's nowhere near as "serious" as the Lightning/Master era, and manages to have the most thrashy-fun since Kill 'Em All. It builds a new legacy while tearing down the old one. It gives the critics what they've been asking for. Gone are the short, refined, commercial songs. Back are the fat grooves and speed. Gone are the bluesy improvisations and ballads, back are the time-warping tempo shifts and compositions. And it is different, that I know for sure. Whether you, the listeners, will keep up and follow, or choose to stay behind, I do not know.

Final Comments: St. Anger is an album that was clearly made to please the band, not the fans, and your own opinion of the work will depend entirely upon what you seek in your music as a whole. Fans of complex structures and musicians as a whole who were forced to defect because of Metallica's bluesy shifts will find themselves a home once again. Fans who just seek loud, entertaining, fun music will also find themselves at home with St. Anger. Heck, St. Anger even covers enough emotion-scapes that those "enlightenment/introspection" fans who have defected to Tool of recent can stop by for a visit.

Who gets left out? Audiophiles, to start with; the production/mixing might just set a record on a "quality vs. budget" ratio. The fact that this is an intentional movie won't be any consolation to the fans longing for those crisp, wall-splitting "dirty" guitar chords, or those drummers who keep the springs on their snare so tight that bacteria could not survive underneath. Fans looking for guitar solos and showy musicianship will also find themselves left behind. St. Anger as an album is based out of teamwork and doesn't really allow any one member to spotlight themselves. Again, recall the wails of sports fans who claim that their beloved leagues are being dumbed down by the lack of spectacle in favor of simply winning in a boring manner. Thus, if your love of music is based out of moments favoring individual brilliance, you will be disappointed by St. Anger.

Okay, so what about people who just want Metallica? Will the MetallicArmy (the fans) like it? At this point, I think there's only two kinds left... the ones who will like anything under the Metallica brand name, and the ones who will never be satisfied until another Master of Puppets is released. I don't necessarily mean a similar sound to the 1986 metal classic, but rather, another album that is of such ambition and revolution that it forever changes the music world. Sorry folks, but as good as Metallica is, that isn't humanly possible. That expectation is akin to asking Orson Welles to best Citizen Kane in terms of quality with every single film he makes.

Metallica is a jack-of-all-trades band. They are not flat-out, bone-crunching metal, as with Pantera, and they will never achieve the atmosphere of Alice-In-Chains or the sonic/philosophical ambition of Tool... yet, they are contenders in each category. They are not the greatest musicians ever, but at the top of many, many different categories. From beginning as a specialized band ("thrash"), they have evolved into a unique composite of many styles, until only Metallica itself was left. Metallica doesn't require you to be in a certain mood, only that you have a taste for good music.

In the process of rebuilding and/or purging themselves with St. Anger, Metallica has both advanced forward and returned to their roots. Hints from their past are clearer on this album than any before it, and yet they continue to move in a new direction -- affront of where they've been before. Metallica is at that strangest point in hallmark careers; an MTV Icon, a once and future pioneer of music, a newborn 'classic rock' band and old enough to be the Rolling Stones of modern rock/metal. Their fanbase consider themselves part of an elite circle, and yet, their staggering collective worldwide sales and tour profits rank amongst the top acts in recorded history. It is both acceptable to love them and hate them in the same breath, in both adult and youth cliques. The band members themselves are probably unsure whether they're truly rock stars or guys who just came to kick ass.

I really love St. Anger, and yet, only one song from it ranks within my Metallica top-20. The album as an entire, living entity is superb to most things that are just collections of songs. Will you like it? Decide for yourself, while you still can.
Old 06-06-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll keep my opinion short...I liked it better than anything since Justice and (as a former drummer) LOVE the sound of an over-tightened Snare.
Old 06-06-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
The fact that they're trying to imitate every other hard rock band out there.
I disagree. St. Anger sounds like a mix of Kill Em All and a Meshuggah album. Nothing like Korn, Limp or whoever.
Old 06-06-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so far, i don't really care for it. their are elements i like but over all, it is lacking. the lyrics are lame and so are the vocals. the drums i actually like, maybe not all the time though.

someone compared this album to slayer's god hates us all, which is interesting since i thought the same thing; while i like some stuff here and there, if i play the record straight, i tune out and end up with a headache. can't place my finger on it. it's heavy, but it's bland.
Old 06-06-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i wish that i had more time to chat about it, but another 16 hour day awaits.

db is one tired mf.

still only heard it one time
Old 06-06-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On The Production: Okay, this is a dead-zone topic. If Metallica produces a flawless record with crisp sounds, pitch-perfect vocals, and tight editing, the fans scream that it's too commercial and rehearsed. If Metallica produces a flawed record where the guitars and drums are loud but the vocals and bass are askew, the fans scream in protest again. So now Metallica has produced, with St. Anger, a mix that is plain LOUD, going for a garage-band rawness where nothing is perfect and nothing appears to be rehearsed. Guess what? The fans will complain anyway. Admittedly, some of the roughshod drum sounds are a bit much, and James' singing has been selected based on the best overall, emotionally complete take, and not reconstructed and remixed piece by piece to hide pitch or voice cracking problems. Hey, I like the decision, the result is an energy that's usually only present on a live album and that vibe translates in a much more beneficial way than endless remixing would have.
Old 06-06-03, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by db27
i wish that i had more time to chat about it, but another 16 hour day awaits.

db is one tired mf.

still only heard it one time
You and me both! I'm gonna sink my teeth into the album and dvd this weekend for sure though.

One thing though, Im lovin, LOVIN, Frantic the few times I've heard it!!!
Old 06-06-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After just finishing my first listen all the way through, all I can say is that I couldn't tell where one song ended and the next began. And what the Hell is with the snare drum?!?!?!?! It sounds like he's banging on a metal gas can.
Old 06-06-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have not heard the whole album, just the title track on the radio a few minutes ago (which made me look for this thread). I am sorry but that was terrible sounding. The mix was bad, the lyrics were god-awful and the instrumentals sounded like crap. To be honest, it made everything else on the radio sound much better and I am not a fan of radio.

Is this song representive of the album as a whole? because I see that a lot of you think it is one of the better songs on the album. I think maybe the therapist they hired while recording this album deluded them into thinking that it might be good. Just from one song, I am just wondering what they were thinking.

Sorry, don't mean to crap on the whole album, just the title track.
Old 06-06-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bahist17
Is this song representive of the album as a whole?
Yes.
Old 06-06-03, 03:33 PM

The bad thing is that this cheese will be pumping non-stop through FM radio for the next 3 years !
Old 06-06-03, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by bahist17

Is this song representive of the album as a whole?
I would have to disagree. I think the title track is the weakest on the album.

After listening to it five times, it has grown on me. Much, much better than Load and Reload.
Old 06-06-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds too much like Nu-Metal
Old 06-07-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Final... after 5th cd listen and 2nd DVD listen...

Like 8 out of 11:
FRANTIC
ST. ANGER
SOME KIND OF MONSTER
INVINSIBLE KID
SHOOT ME AGAIN
UNNAMED FEELING
PURIFY
ALL WITHIN' MY HANDS

... hey DB27 I'm really loving this album... where U at?
Old 06-07-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They've changed their sound just to compete, and that's a bad thing.
Maybe... jst maybe....

Their musical tastes have changed. They're people too, you know.

We can't compare them to their early days 20 years ago. My tastes have changed in 20 years, haven't yours? If so, why can't theirs?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.