Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Groups whose final album was their best

Old 05-01-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Groups whose final album was their best

I can only think of one

Crowded House - Woodface

Can anyone else think of a group that went out with their best work?
Old 05-01-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't "Together Alone" their final album? Apart from that Greatest Hits compilation they had, obviously - but you're right, Crowded House were at their best when they broke up - they were just starting to get *really* good!

Check out Neil Finn's solo stuff though; some of it's much better than Crowded House ever were...

I can't think of any others - most bands usually have a great SECOND TO LAST album - then release one that sucks and call it quits - Stone Roses, Pulp, Oasis ( did they break up yet? now would probably be a good time )
Old 05-01-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ^sam^

I can't think of any others - most bands usually have a great SECOND TO LAST album - then release one that sucks and call it quits - Stone Roses, Pulp, Oasis ( did they break up yet? now would probably be a good time )
Did Pulp break up? I rather like We Love Life. Granted, it's no Different Class, but it's still a fine album with a few of their best songs, IMO.

Just found this on the official fan site: "Pulp aren't technically splitting up, but neither are they making any plans to return to the studio (other than for the new extra tracks on the Best Of, already recorded) for the foreseeable future."
Old 05-01-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Police - Synchronicity
Old 05-01-03, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ^sam^
Wasn't "Together Alone" their final album? Apart from that Greatest Hits compilation they had, obviously - but you're right, Crowded House were at their best when they broke up - they were just starting to get *really* good!

Check out Neil Finn's solo stuff though; some of it's much better than Crowded House ever were...

I wouldn't say any of these bands' last albums sucked (although of the three listed, The Stone Roses are the only ones who have officially disbanded). There's no way that "Second Coming" could have lived up to its predecessor, IMO, and I thought it was solid. I think "We Love Life" is an excellent record, probably better than "This Is Hardcore," and "Heathen Chemistry" contains its fair amount of good material.

Neil Finn, though, =
Old 05-01-03, 11:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ^sam^

[/QUOTE

"Together Alone" was the last album of new material released while they were together but they released an album in 1999 called 'Afterglow' (well here in Australia anyway) which was 13 tracks that were either new and destined for the album they were working on at the time of breaking up or tracks that never made any of their actual 4 studio albums. All tracks are excellent quality I add, both musically and technically and are far more than "throwaways". It is not a bootleg or an independent release but an official album.

http://www.sanity.com.au/product.asp...ntArtistID=715

Terry
Old 05-02-03, 12:28 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
The Verve-Urban Hymns
Old 05-02-03, 01:15 AM

Joy Division- Closer is considered the better of their two albums. I'd say they're nearly equal, but the circumstances surrounding their second album kinda clinched it as the more important one.

Now that I think of it, I'm having a hard time thinking of a good number of bands who's swansong is heads and shoulders above the rest of their albums. I'll be the first to mention this one though:

My Bloody Valentine- Loveless

That's the best one I'm gonna come up with
Old 05-02-03, 02:56 AM

Nirvana - In Utero
Heatmiser - Mic City Sons
Old 05-02-03, 09:22 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
Old 05-02-03, 10:06 AM

Pavement - Terror Twilight. Most of my friends prefer 'Brighten the Corners', and I DO love that record, but I think TT is their true masterpiece.

Also agree with above about Nirvana "In Utero".
Old 05-02-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dvddiehard
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
You took the words right out of my mouth. Good call, diehard.
Old 05-02-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by F For Fake
Pavement - Terror Twilight. Most of my friends prefer 'Brighten the Corners', and I DO love that record, but I think TT is their true masterpiece.
"Slanted and Enchanted" is their best, "Crooked Rain" is second, IMO.

"Warehouse: Songs and Stories" is my favorite Husker Du album, but "New Day Rising" is probably their best.

Big Star's "Sister Lovers" is probably their best.
Old 05-02-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
I'll second that but we should really save it for another discussion.

I don't think that he is putting out any more albums - at least under this moniker - but Jeff Mangum's one-man-show, Neutral Milk Hotel, definitely put out their best recording second: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.
Old 05-02-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Elvis Costello's latest is his best. Hopefully it's not his final.
Old 05-02-03, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by dvddiehard
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
Good call.
Old 05-02-03, 11:54 AM

I'll be the contrarian and say that Anodyne is the worst Uncle Tupelo album (best = Still Feel Gone or March 16-20). And that Abbey Road is the worst Beatles album (best = Beatles for Sale or Rubber Soul). And that Terror Twilight is the worst Pavement album (best = Wowee Zowee).

To answer the question, the one that immediately jumps to mind is Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You. Also, Nirvana's In Utero.
Old 05-02-03, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Hiro11
I love Pavement, and love all of their albums EXCEPT "Slanted and Enchanted". I bought it soon after it was released, and I could just never get into it. With "Crooked Rain" I feel they finally hit on what was really working for them. But I know I'm in a tiny minority on this one, as S&E is hailed as something of an indie rock masterwork.

Ok, sorry to derail. Let's see, back on track..hmm...Oh, and here's one that'll get my head ripped off:

'Loaded' is my favorite Velvets record.
Old 05-02-03, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by F For Fake
'Loaded' is my favorite Velvets record.
Well, I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's the wrong one.

I'll agree with the last Big Star album. The last album Gram Parsons made (Grevious Angel) was not only his best solo album, but probably the best album with which he's associated, except for maybe The Byrd's Sweetheart Of the Rodeo.
Old 05-02-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jawbreaker - Dear You
Old 05-02-03, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by slymer
Jawbreaker - Dear You
Another good call...
Old 05-02-03, 04:54 PM

I can't guarantee that it's their final album, but they've done so few shows over the past 2-3 years that it probably is...

Golden Smog - Weird Tales
Old 05-02-03, 05:50 PM

Fugees -- The Score
My Bloody Valentine -- Loveless (good call, Poink)
Dismemberment Plan -- Change

To ruffle some feathers, I think Down by the Old Mainstream topples Weird Tales, and March 16-20, 1992 blows Anodyne out of the water.
Old 05-02-03, 06:21 PM
Rest in Peace

" A Season in Hell" Rock Solid AKA Eddie and the Cruisers 2: Eddie Lives, AKA John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band. Leading star (Michael Pare) had to learn "all" the songs in the movie, to litterally *lip sync* with John Cafferty; that takes 'great' acting talent. IMHO
Old 05-02-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Freeze-Frame by J. Geils Band

I don't know if its their best, but it was their most successful album.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.