Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Smiths (with Morrissey)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Fans of The Smiths?
I absolutely love The Smiths
80.43%
I think they're okay, nothing great
10.87%
I hate The Smiths
6.52%
Never heard of them. Who?
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can say that, myself, I'm a huge Billboard chart watcher. Whenever a song I like is on the radio, I watch the chart to see how it is doing. If it does well, I go whoo-hoo! If it tanks on the chart, I still like the song, but I say what a shame. Am I a totally commercial music-lover? I think not, and The Smiths are my reason.

During the 1980's, I couldn't watch The Smiths on the charts because they never charted Top 40 in America; in the UK, however, they've achieved quite a number of Top 10 hits. But, for some reason, they never were realized in America as a commercially successful band. This did not stop me from discovering them, which is quite the miracle.

I'm from New York, and out on Long Island there is a radio station called (then) WLIR 92.7 (after 1989, the station changed to WDRE, then eventually returned to WLIR in the late-90's), and that is where I discovered The Smiths (among other cult bands, including The Cure before they hit the mainstream).

I still listen to their CD's today on my long drive to work - my wife sometimes accompanies me, and I still think that she doesn't get why I listen. But today, I heard her sing along to one song, so I'm gettin' to her.
Old 04-25-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I like Morrissey's solo stuff better on the whole, but the Smiths have some really good stuff as well.
Old 04-25-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are the Smiths albums going to be re-issused anytime soon? I wonder if I should buy the current versions. I have quite a bit on cassette but would like to upgrade.

Also, has there ever been talk of a box set?
Old 04-25-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't heard of anything being re-issued. A CD-box set would be cuel.
Old 04-25-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"These things take time and I know that I'm, the most inept that ever stepped . . . "
Old 04-25-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
According to this site, there is a 4CD box set coming in September.

http://www.musictap.net/
Old 04-25-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely love them.
Old 04-25-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Big fan. I don't like every Morrissey solo disc, but "Vauxhall and I" is as good as most Smith recordings. I'm happy Morrissey continued on with some great music.

The thing I love about the Smiths is that the lyrics are fascinatingly depressing, but funny. The music is melodic as all get out, but with an edge. And as tired as I might be of hearing "How Soon Is Now?" it has one of the most incredible beginnings of any song in rock history.

I don't really think of the Smiths as a cult band. I figure most who like rock are familiar with them, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-25-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent excellent band. The Queen is Dead is still one of my favorite albums. I sometimes wonder what they could have done if they had stayed together. What with Johnny Marr's other projects like Electronic and Morrissey's solo albums, they really had a lot of creative juices left.
Old 04-25-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Smiths are not really a band that anyone could think is "okay", you either love them or despise them. I love them.
Old 04-25-03, 01:12 PM

They are my favorite band of all time.
Old 04-25-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

your choices don't fit me. i enjoy them, but don't absolutely love them. so somewhere in between the first two would be me.
Old 04-25-03, 02:51 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
One of my favorite bands ever. Morrisey wrote hilarious lyrics, and Marr was one of the most original guitar players of the last 30 years. Great rhythm section, too.
Old 04-25-03, 04:03 PM

Their singles are extraordinary good, Queen Is Dead is great, most of rest is passable.
Old 04-25-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Great band. But, unless you're a completist, you can pretty much get everything worthwhile on their "Singles" compilation CD and maybe "The Queen is Dead."

Morrissey's solo work, and Marr's post-Smiths output have really sort of been lackluster.

In a way, Marr and Morrissey remind me of Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro... together, they just click and are great, but seperately, something is just missing.

(However, after being grossly disappointed with "Kettle Whistle," the Janes Addiction metaphor loses some steam.)
Old 04-26-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya know, I'd say that if you bought Morrissey's "Bona Drag" compilation and "Vauxhall and I" you'd have some music as good as what the Smith's did.
Old 04-26-03, 09:59 AM
Cool New Member

Morrissey is the greatest lyricist of all time.

"But still I'd rather be famous than righteous or holy, any day, any day, any day"
Old 04-26-03, 01:03 PM

I absoluetly hated them. IMO If there's a singer that totally destroy's a band it's Morrissey. Although I don't know if I would like them if they had a different singer. I just can't get past his voice.
Old 04-26-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that "Vauxhall and I" was as good as any Smiths album. Steve Lillywhite's production always brings out the best in artists, IMO.

I love the Smiths too, and agree with what many of you have said. Although his lyrics can be incredibly melancholy, he's also got one of the sharpest senses of humor in the history of rock. One thing I'll add is how impressed I was with seeing Morrissey live---his band was much harder edged and more rocking than on his albums--very tight and intense.
Old 04-26-03, 04:40 PM
Banned

The Smiths are the best band in the history or rock and roll, surpassing even The Beatles and U2! This talented quarted is so underrated it's disgusting! My favorite songs include:

The Headmaster Ritual
I want the one I cant have
That Joke isn't funny anymore
How Soon is Now?
Barbarism begins at home
I know it's over
Suffer little children
Still ill
what difference does it make
The boy with the thorn in his side
There is a light...
Death of a disco dancer
Unhappy birthday
Back to the old house
Please, please, please let me get what I want
Stretch out and wait
You just haven't earned it yet baby
Girl afraid
and way too many others to list...

They were the greatest band to EVER walk the face the of the earth!

I'm not even gay, have slept with numerous girls, and still have a "Johnny Marr" tattoo on my left ass cheek, and a "Morrissey" one on my right ass cheek!
Old 04-27-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Great band. But, unless you're a completist, you can pretty much get everything worthwhile on their "Singles" compilation CD and maybe "The Queen is Dead."
I will probably pick up the Singles compilation because of it has tracks that aren't included on the Louder Than Bombs compilation, which has quite a lot of great stuff, including the track Is It Really So Strange, a track I don't find any other Smiths' compilations. Great track.
Old 04-28-03, 08:18 PM
Banned

Muttmunker...it looks like starting this thread was a waste of time, as it appears there are only about 20 Smiths fans here Oh well.
Old 04-29-03, 11:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I own just about everything they have done, including some great bootlegs. The best bootleg I have of them is called "Thank Your Lucky Stars". The sound quality is and track list is better than "Rank"
Old 04-29-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
Legendary band. And they deserve all the praise IMO. "The Queen is Dead" is one of the best albums ever. Period! I even enjoy most of Moz's solo stuff.
Old 06-12-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just a heads-up for any Smiths fans out there: the new issue of NME (with AFI on the cover) comes with a mini-magazine devoted to the Smiths. It has lots of pictures, quotes, a few articles and a poster.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.