Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica rant &/or appreciation thread

Old 04-15-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mordred, that is an excellent point on Napster. The band, Lars in particular, would like to forget about the whole thing based on new knowledge and what-not. He was not educated on the subject, and it was clear in that chat. However, they did at least bring the filesharing phenomenom to the public eye so it could be examined and hopefully improved. Perhaps that may happen someday.

Wallet Boy, some great thoughts. I think St. Anger will sell well, but it may not be received well for the points that you made. That being said, I'm still peeing myself to think what it may contain

Also a fine point about them doing what they want, so true.
Old 04-15-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as file sharing goes, how differerent is it from tape trading. Back in the day people traded a cassete called "No Life Till Leather" with their friends. That is how people got to hear Metallica's music in the first place, and is what got them signed. That led to people seeing there shows, then buy there albums. How is it any differernt then file sharing?

I personally prefer to own the original album.

I will use napster or kazaa to get a song from some soundtrack that has 20 other songs I dont care about (as I said before), or to get a rare B-side that was only released in Kallamazoo Guatamalla for 2 weeks.

The type people who exclusivly download music would never buy the albums anyway. How is it any different than taping from the radio?
Old 04-15-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On a side note... the new VOIVOD album rocks.
Old 04-16-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DAMN everything that I wanted to put into words [without the CURSING that i'm used to using... some people (in this FORUM) know me for that] was properly written by DB27... I'm with you on clarafying subjects matters regarding 'TALLICA... well said and I'm Down w/ U...

Last edited by gerrythedon; 04-17-03 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Metallica still rocks. No matter what you think of their later output, they still kick major ass live. I personally don't care for anything after Master of Puppets, but caught them a year or two ago, only because I was a stage hand, and I was surprised to hear that they still just flat-out rip.
Old 04-16-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Napster
I can't wait to see the made for VH1 movie about it starring a washed up Lars Ulrich 15 years from now.

Newsted
I'm finding it hysterical that one of the supposed reasons Jason left is because they don't really do metal anymore. So what do they do after he leaves? They put together St. Anger(supposedly their hardest album in over a decade). That has got to be the biggest F-you to Jason. But hey, if that is what it took to get them to do metal again, I have to thank Jason Newsted personally for sacrificing himself for the greater good.

Old vs. New
Personally the stuff from the 80's is their best work. But I have to disagree with everone on the black album. This has got to be one of the best albums of all time. Sell-out? Maybe, but before this album they were just speed metal, speed metal, speed metal. This album showed that they had more than one talent. They could actually compose music. As for crapLoad & RecrapLoad, I agree with someone above. A few good tracks with a lot of filler. I read that Metallica releases everything they have ever recorded. And with these two albums it shows. Load was a tad better album than its sequel(reLoad), which just felt like an album of b-sides. Garage, Inc. disc 1 not bad, but not great either. disc 2 is amazing. S&M was a great experiment. I prefer this to the Load/reLoad debacle.
Old 04-16-03, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by cactusoly
As far as file sharing goes, how differerent is it from tape trading.

How is it any different than taping from the radio?
Normally speaking, you can't download a whole album's worth of material from the radio. You also have to wait for the radio to play something, as opposed to grabbing whatever you feel like whenever you feel like from Kazaa. Additionally, artists have authorized the radio to play their songs, whereas they have no say about whether or not their songs can be used on file sharing networks.

There has never been such an easy way for so many people to make a near perfect copy of an album release so quickly, before file sharing came around. And you can now do it before the album is even available in stores. It's great for promotion, because millions of people are accessing the files whenever they want. On the other hand, many of those people that now have the album will not be motivated enough to spend the money to get the album for real.

And tape trading was never at this level. That was much more grass roots, making one copy of one tape and then trading it on. With file sharing, one person can have a copy of a new CD, put it up, and everyone else in the world can get if for free instantly. That's a major difference.

I'm into file sharing, because I've discovered a lot more bands than I ever would have without it, and I have bought their albums. But I know many people who have stopped buying CDs because of it, and that's pretty much the same thing as going down to the local shop and stealing it from the racks in my opinion.
Old 04-17-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

napster baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

-k
###
Old 04-17-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
DAMN everything that I wanted to put into words [without the CURSING that i'm used to using... some peopmle know me for that] was properly written by DB27... I'm with you on clarafying subjects matters regarding 'TALLICA... well said and I'm Down w/ U...