Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cardigan's "Long Gone before Daylight"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 1995, I heard a weird but catchy song called "Sick & Tired" on the college radio. I went ahead and bought the album, called "Life", from this group called the Cardigans. The album turned out to be so saccharine and Annie-like that it was sickening. However, some songs, like "Carnival" and "Sick & Tired" were keepers, so I kept the CD.

Then a few years later, the Cardigans came out with "Lovefool", which was a huge hit. I hated the damn song. It was more of the saccharine of the first album, but with inescapable radio-friendliness. Blecchhh. By then, I lost all interest in the band.

A few more years passed, and I heard "My Favourite Game". I was instantly hooked, and bought their album, "Gran Turismo". Again, it was an uneven work, with very weak lyrics and melodies which seem pasted on together rather than wholly succinct songs. Still, some songs were excellent, like the tick-tock of "Hanging Around" and "Explode/Implode". The darker sound and atmospheric production were very good - it just needed better tunes and lyrics.

So now, we have "Long Gone Before Daylight".

It is easily their best album to date. The lyrics are much improved, and so are the melodies. Nearly every song are excellent, from the moody organ of the first track "Communication" to the absolutely excellent "Feather and Down". The Cardigans went back to their rock roots, but they have also kept their sense of atmosphere and darkness. It is an album that manages to play upon all their strengths and put them into one record. Nina Persson has never sounded better.

One or two songs are weak compared to the rest, like the lamely titled and uncatchy "A Good Horse". But overall, this melancholy disc is a perfect collection of dark pop. Like Mazzy Star? This is even better. Just don't expect the Annie reprise of yesterdays from this new Cardigans.

8/10
Old 03-27-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

excellent review. is this going to be released in the states?
Old 03-27-03, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amen to tofu's question. i went to target and borders on tuesday and was sadly disappointed that it wasn't released here.. and there is no date that i've heard...

anybody?!
-di doctor-
Old 03-27-03, 07:20 PM

Apparently the release is only for Europe and Asia. I have no clue when - or if - the CD will be released in the US.
Old 03-27-03, 08:51 PM

According to Magnus on the Official Cardigans Forum, the album should be out in the U.S. around August, since they currently do not have a label here.

Your best bet would be to get it from amazon.co.uk. I ordered it last week, it shipped a few days later, and it should be arriving some time soon. I usually get all my imports that way, and the price is always cheaper than purchasing an import in a record store, even with shipping included.

I'm looking forward to hearing this one soon!
Old 03-28-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the minority when it comes to The Cardigans. I love the first two albums, but didn't like the third one. The first time I heard Carnvial, it was like a breath of fresh air.

I'm sad to hear that they are moving even further away from their earlier sound. I also liked Nina Perrson's side project A Camp.

****UPDATE*****

Okay, I have to take back what I said about being sad The Caridigans are moving further away from their original sound. The new album is very cool. The only song I haven't liked so far is "And Then You Kissed Me". So far my faves are "Communication", "Please Sister" & "For What It's Worth". I'm definitely going to get this cd when it's avaiable here in the U.S.A.

Last edited by joefrog91; 03-31-03 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-28-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
The singer's hot...
Old 03-29-03, 08:36 AM

You can actually listen to the whole album on-line at this microsite:

http://www.mtv.co.uk/mtv.co.uk/en/dy...&type=Specials

The first single is "For What it's Worth", but the whole darn album is excellent (save "A Good Horse", IMO).
Old 03-29-03, 10:28 AM

That "A Camp" album is revolutionary!!!!!!!!!

Go figure though with Nina Perrson, Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse), and Nathan Larson (Shudder to Think).
Honestly that album goes from sounding like Mazzy Star to PJ Harvey to Beachwood Sparks to Miranda Lee Richards....just plain good.
Old 03-30-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I've had the CD for a couple months. Well, a 'copy' of it.... we'll leave it at that.

Great CD overall, love their sound on this one. Really a moody/airy piece. Highly recommended.

-k
###
Old 03-30-03, 10:51 PM

holy carp! i'm halfway through the first song and i already love the album... why the heck isn't it available here! i don't want to have to order from amazon.uk... sheeeeeooot. frickin' a.
-di doctor-
Old 03-31-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the review Grim. I agree with you on The Cardigans' earlier work. There are some really good songs mixed in with ones I really do not care for. I'm very curious about the new CD.
Old 04-01-03, 12:31 AM

Then you should listen to the album on-line! The link is above

Seriously I've listened to it for about a week now, and it is definitely excellent. There's only 1 song I don't care for - "A Good Horse".

My top 5 favorite songs (right now, at least):

1. For What It's Worth
2. You're the Storm
3. Feathers and Down
4. No Sleep
5. You Live and Learn
Old 04-01-03, 12:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Q magazine was qouted in saying the recent album is better than "Gran Tourismo".
Old 04-01-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought their cd's a few weeks ago and I love Gran Turismo. I downloaded some songs off of this new cd and they started out great but then it was the same lines over and over. It can't be that way on the actual cd, right? I'm at work but I'll check the site linked above to see if it's any different.
Old 04-01-03, 08:27 AM

The ever fickle NME also gave praise to the new album. They gave it an 8 out of 10.
Old 04-02-03, 03:46 PM

You can get this CD from CD-WOW online for $12 shipped. Mine arrived today.
Old 04-03-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by jonnyrocks
According to Magnus on the Official Cardigans Forum, the album should be out in the U.S. around August, since they currently do not have a label here.

Your best bet would be to get it from amazon.co.uk. I ordered it last week, it shipped a few days later, and it should be arriving some time soon. I usually get all my imports that way, and the price is always cheaper than purchasing an import in a record store, even with shipping included.

I'm looking forward to hearing this one soon!

August!? F that! Amazon.co.uk here I come. And they are a great online store anyway. I bought Human League's "Secrets" from them when there was no U.S. release date (at the time). Ordered it on a Monday night. Had it in my hot little hands the following Friday (4 days later). Wish no rush or extra shipping (!??)

BTW, I loved "Gran Turismo". So if this new album is half as good, I'll be happy.
Old 04-04-03, 05:11 PM
Banned

That chick singer is pretty hot.
Old 04-05-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Todd Gaines
That chick singer is pretty hot.

Thank you Beavis

And for the record, I soooo agree.
Old 04-05-03, 03:23 PM

Pics?
Old 04-05-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://thecardigans.olleprojects.net/en/Images/view/224

http://members.tripod.com/paralyzed9...windCDPic1.jpg
Old 04-21-03, 09:25 PM

oh my goodness... i woke up this morning and popped this album in my player... and "Communication" has been stuck in my head all day. what a haunting song - Nina's voice is incredibly beautiful on this song in particular! i love this album!
-di doctor-
Old 11-04-03, 01:31 PM

I thought I had read somewhere that a SACD edition of the album was released - (Europe?)
Old 02-17-04, 06:55 AM

FINALLY!

After over a year, The Cardigans' "Long Gone Before Daylight" will see daylight on May 25th in the US. For those who took the time to wait, they will be rewarded with a bonus DVD with videos for the singles "For What It's Worth" and "You're the Storm" and three live clips from last year's Roskilde Festival outside Copenhagen. The CD will also include a bonus cut exclusive to the North American version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.