Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cold play at the Grammys

Old 02-24-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 02-24-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While you are talking about out of print discs, go to Ebay and type in OOP and see what wonderful doozies you get. People pay a lot of money for some fairly lame recordings.

This thread is fun to me, as childish as it is... I'll never be tired of viewing hairbands as possibly the saddest point I've yet to see in rock music. Sure, it was party music and I have no problems with that. I like fun music, but the imagination of those bands was almost stillborn.

Coldplay is not my favorite band, but seeing someone slam them as bad as you have while defending Warrant is a scream. Wouldn't you rather drink a Guiness instead of Pabst?
Old 02-24-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Wouldn't you rather drink a Guiness instead of Pabst?
Well, as a matter of fact...

Old 02-24-03, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Wouldn't you rather drink a Guiness instead of Pabst?

Coldplay would def. be a "light" beer...one of those cheap 1.99 a 6 pack beers...

No taste and flat..lol...

Oh..and Warrants "Dog eat Dog" has some amazing songs on it..too bad the mainstream didnt get to hear it..better than any Coldplay crap..
Old 02-24-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

No taste
Speaking of no taste. . .
Old 02-24-03, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Virex
Speaking of no taste. . .

If I had no taste, Id listen to bands like Coldplay....

Ive yet to hear one person name one good reason why they are good..
Old 02-24-03, 10:59 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jason
Nothing lasts forever, and while Pearl Jam are unlikely to ever be relegated to "joke" status, bands like Temple of the Dog will soon be seen for the overwrought nonsense that they were, and will be the Winger for a new generation.
It would be nice for you to know something about Temple of the Dog before you go and bash them. You say that Pearl Jam will never be relegated to "joke status". But the members in Temple of the Dog WERE FROM Pearl Jam. This album was a tribute to their friend Andrew Wood from Mother Love Bone who passed away. Temple of the Dog was never meant to go on and make music, but rather was a one time tribute to their fallen friend.

I dont want to continue to feed the trolls, but I just had to stick up for this.
Old 02-24-03, 11:37 PM
Retired

Jesus christ people. Shut the **** up and learn to respect others opinons and tastes.

The immaturity on these forums is ridiculous.
Old 02-24-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry if I'm not the first to mention this, but I had to note the irony of someone named Kevin Smith is God lecturing people on good taste

Carry on
Old 02-25-03, 12:02 AM
Banned

Oh and by the way..

When was the last time Coldplay sold out multiple nights in a row..like say..Def Leppard just did in NYC? Or the last time they sold out Giants Stadium 3 nights in a row like Bon Jovi?
Unfair comparison, IMO. Def Leppard and Bon Jovi have been on the musical map since the 80's. Coldplay's first album came out in 2000. All I know is that I'm enjoying Coldplay's music and I can't wait to see them at San Diego State University (shudders, see how low I'm willing to go to see them live?) in June.
Old 02-25-03, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Unfair comparison, IMO. Def Leppard and Bon Jovi have been on the musical map since the 80's. Coldplay's first album came out in 2000. All I know is that I'm enjoying Coldplay's music and I can't wait to see them at San Diego State University (shudders, see how low I'm willing to go to see them live?) in June.

Hey..I was told to get with the times..if it were a true statement than it would be Coldplay that was selling all these places out and not these "hair bands"
Old 02-25-03, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Applejack
Sorry if I'm not the first to mention this, but I had to note the irony of someone named Kevin Smith is God lecturing people on good taste

Carry on
eat **** worm boy
Old 02-25-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pearl Jam? Again, WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
They are noones..they are in the same place as many hairbands and didnt last nearly as long as most of the hairbands.
Pearl Jam is currently on tour playing to packed houses in Australia and soon in Japan. They will also release all of their concerts from this year onto cd for their fans to purchase. Pearl Jam formed in 1990 and is still going strong in 2003. That's 13 years as a band. Although they aren't as popular as they once were, they still sell millions of records without the benefit of music videos and a lot of radio airplay. Pearl Jam is constantly evolving and writing music that matters unlike the party songs and one night stand songs that dominated the charts for a couple of years back in the late 80's and very early 90's.

As for your dismissal of Coldplay, they happen to write thought provoking and intelligent music. Great lyrics and great songwriting, I 'd hardly think that "Crap" would be one of the most highly acclaimed albums of the year. And as for your state of them not being able to sell out shows, I was at their show in Phoenix and it was SOLD OUT.

Next time you state something as fact make sure it isn't an erroneous and ill-informed opinion.
Old 02-25-03, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by Pillowhead
Pearl Jam is currently on tour playing to packed houses in Australia and soon in Japan. They will also release all of their concerts from this year onto cd for their fans to purchase. Pearl Jam formed in 1990 and is still going strong in 2003. That's 13 years as a band. Although they aren't as popular as they once were, they still sell millions of records without the benefit of music videos and a lot of radio airplay. Pearl Jam is constantly evolving and writing music that matters unlike the party songs and one night stand songs that dominated the charts for a couple of years back in the late 80's and very early 90's.

As for your dismissal of Coldplay, they happen to write thought provoking and intelligent music. Great lyrics and great songwriting, I 'd hardly think that "Crap" would be one of the most highly acclaimed albums of the year. And as for your state of them not being able to sell out shows, I was at their show in Phoenix and it was SOLD OUT.

Next time you state something as fact make sure it isn't an erroneous and ill-informed opinion.
See..these are the sign of someone who is ignorant and clueless...
First, Pearl Jam still sells millions?? When was the last time they sold even 1 million albums? 94?95? Get with it..
Ive heard the new pearl jam..it sounds like pearl jam..nothing new there..
Have you heard Motley Crue's Generation Swine? It makes even Pearl Jam sound dated..

Believe me, there is plenty of "crap" albums that are "highly" acclaimed....eg;Eminem...
And ive read Coldplays lyrics...impresses me about as much as their music..its nothing special or original..

How bout we take this for example
"Tell me you love me
Come back and haunt me
Oh and I rush to the start"

Is that an 80s hair band or Coldplay?
Not much of a difference, is there?
Old 02-25-03, 08:50 AM

I have several Coldplay cd's, saw them in Austin a few weeks ago and I absolutely enjoyed their Grammy perfomance.

If you dislike their cd's, have no desire to see them live and hated their Grammy performance...I think that's great!

You are one less obstacle in the line between me and a better seat!!!
Old 02-25-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See..these are the sign of someone who is ignorant and clueless...
First, Pearl Jam still sells millions?? When was the last time they sold even 1 million albums? 94?95? Get with it..
I'm ignorant?

Ten
Sony
Released 08/27/91
AMG Rating: Best of Genre
11 times platinum

No Code
Sony
Released 08/27/96
Platinum

Vitalogy
Sony
Released 11/22/94
AMG Rating: Best of Genre
INCLUDES 8 PAGE BOOK
Seven times platinum as of May 2000

Vs.
Sony
Released 10/12/93
AMG Rating: Good
Seven times platinum

Yield
Sony
Released 02/03/98
Platinum

Live on Two Legs
Epic
Released 12/03/1998
Platinum as of February 2002

Pearl Jam's Five Chart Debuts Set Billboard Record

The albums sold more than 2 million copies, according to a band spokesperson. One way of avoiding the logjam on store shelves this time, Gossard said, would be to offer the albums online and skip retail.
Old 02-25-03, 11:43 AM

How bout we take this for example
"Tell me you love me
Come back and haunt me
Oh and I rush to the start"

Is that an 80s hair band or Coldplay?
Not much of a difference, is there?
Well if it was a hair band then we'd have thoughtful and insightful lyrics like:
"Slide down my knees and taste my sword"
or
"Dad says she's too young but she's old enough for me"

I don't think we can ever proclaim hair bands for their great lyrics.

for the record, I would fall under the category of someone who likes both 80's hair bands (mostly for nostalgia) and LOVES Coldplay.
Old 02-25-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Look, you may not like Coldplay, and that's cool, that's your opinion. But to completely trash them while holding up hairbands as examples of good music is just asinine. I admit, back in the 80s, I liked hair bands. I was a teenager, I didn't know any better. Now that I'm older, my tastes have grown. Check with music critics, Coldplay are highly acclaimed. Hair bands are considered a joke. That's not saying you can't like hair bands and not like Coldplay. It is saying you are incapable of appreciating diverse music.

Yes, there are "alternative" bands that are jokes. Every genre eventually reaches the saturation point. But to decry Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins, that just smacks of ignorance. Pearl Jam is one of the hardest acts to get tickets to and have a very loyal fan following, even though they chose to drop out of the mainstream and get minimal airplay and do not make videos. Nirvana is no more. Smashing Pumpkins ended as they started to realize they weren't fresh anymore, unlike these hair bands who keep grinding along in sheds (when they're not burning them down).

As for Coldplay selling out shows, you try to get tickets? The Philadelphia show this Friday is sold out; I know, I tried to get tickets. I'm hoping to be able to get tickets to the June show in NYC at MSG, but it will sell out fast.

Your posts leave me unable to take your opinion or you seriously.

Oh, and please don't confuse Coldplay with noise. Noise is Nurse With Wound. Listen to "A Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table Between a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella". That's noise. And it's absolutely beautiful.
Old 02-25-03, 04:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Thesis; antithesis; synthesis.... or something

I think their performance was HORRIBLE! Are these guys kidding me? That was just terrible! Do these guys actually sell CDS?? Did someone sit at rehersals and actually say "This is great!" I mean christ..people make fun of me for liking Poison and Motley crue ...but atleast their music is listenable and isnt just noise..
Originally posted by RevLiver
Look, you may not like Coldplay, and that's cool, that's your opinion. But to completely trash them while holding up hairbands as examples of good music is just asinine.
Originally posted by Virex
KevinSmithIsGod, notwithstanding the fact that you were the originator of this poorly-labelled thread, I think that is your troll and pad quotient just about used-up for this quarter. HAND, IYKWIM, AITTYD.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk