Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Clash...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Clash...WOW!

This past weekend I was at Borders and was looking for some cool CDs to get. I spotted a 3 CD pack of the Clash for $29.99, and admittedly I had previously only hear "Rock The Casbah", "Should I Stay Or Go" and "London Calling" from a friend's Clash Singles CD. So I decided what the hey, and splurged on the 3 Pack. Having listened to the CDs non-stop for the past week, all I can say is...

WOW!!!

I really enjoy the raw sound of The Clash US Version, and Combat Rock has a couple of good songs, but the true winner in this set is London Calling! I love the cd, and I know I may sound like a poser, but while "London Calling" is a good song, my favorite is "Train In Vain (Stand By Me)".

I'm now going to try to buy Give 'Em Enough Rope and Sandinista! in the upcoming weeks, I just cannot believe I had ignored such a great band for such a long time!

edit: Here's a pic of the box if anyone is thinking about getting it.
Old 01-29-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

congratulations!!! it's always exciting to hear somebody rave about a band that they've overlooked for so long! i overlooked the ramones for so long, and in the past year i've gained quite a fondness for them..

so, if you aren't already into the ramones, they're your next assignment! (notably their first four albums: Ramones, Rocket From Russia, Leave Home and... ack.. brain fart.. i can't recall the fourth name..)

the Clash are one of my favorite bands of all time. the three albums you got in that pack are widely regarded as their best, but don't let that stop you from getting their other albums!

welcome to the wonderful world of the Clash! (i don't know if you are aware, but their lead singer - Joe Strummer - recently passed away..)

anyway, it's good to hear!!
-di doctor-
Old 01-29-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...we got another one...
Old 01-29-03, 02:30 PM

I personally think the UK version of The Clash is better. It was meant to start off with Janie Jones.
Old 01-29-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Brain Stew, that's cool. "London Calling" is such an amazing recording. You aren't a poser for liking "Train in Vain"more than the title song. Actually, London Calling is not one of my favorite songs from the disc.

FYI, of the albums you want to pick up, I would really recommend "Black Market Clash" (or as it's called now "Super Black Market Clash"). It's an "odd and ends" compilation but has some can't do without songs like "Bankrobber" "Armagideon Time" (great reggae songs), "Cheat" "Pressure Drop" (ska remake). I like this CD better than "Rope" or "Sandinista".

And whatever you do, STAY AWAY from "Cut the Crap". Horrendous recording... the Clash in name only.
Old 01-29-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Live From Here To Eternity" (a collection of various live performances) is a must.

You might want to check out "The Essential Clash" when it comes out March 11. I won't be getting it as I already have the cd's and box set, but it has a comprehensive tracklisting.
Old 01-29-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
My second favorite Clash album (after London Calling) is Sandinista.
Old 01-29-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an FYI, Rolling Stone did a "Top ten albums of the 80s" back in late, late 89. London Calling was #1.

I was a little young for the first wave of punk in the 70's, and I considered the Dead Milkmen to be my punk. Rolling Stone made me try out London Calling (when I was 18), and it hasn't stopped since.

I am 31 years old, and I love all kinds of music....rock, pop, rap, country, classical, some jazz, oldies, etc.....but I get to feel like a kid again when I find a good punk record.

Congrats on your find!
Old 01-29-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DrRingDing
ack.. brain fart.. i can't recall the fourth name..
-di doctor-
That would be Road to Ruin, a wonderful album.

Brain, welcome to the club! I've listened to The Clash since the early '80s, and they've been favorites ever since. All of those albums included in the set are great records (either US/UK version of The Clash... hell, get both).

As for Combat Rock, trust me, when it came out, I was extremely disapointed with the second side, which was very expiramental, and just did not rock like the first side, which I instantly took to; however, over the years, Overpowered by Funk, Atomic Tan, Sean Flynn, Ghetto Defendant, Inoculated City, and Death of a Star have creeped into my consciousness to leave their stamp indelibly on my brain. It's really a very soul searching collection of songs (the soul of society, as well as of individuals) full of heart and insight. But I wasn't ready for all that weighty schitt when I was 15, I just wanted the angst and fury, which is fine... I guess I'm just saying, don't relegate Combat Rock to your trash heap - keep it on the shelf, pull it down once in a while through the years, and see if it doesn't grow on you.

As for London Calling, what can you say? Nothing I can say will illustrate the perfection of that album - it speaks for itself.

Sandinista!, as with Combat Rock, is certainly an acquired taste, but I personally love the album. There are definite classics on there, but there is also a lot of odd tracks that many people feel either break the flow, or just make the set too damned long. Again, experienced over many years, the songs grow on you.

Maybe I got Give 'em Enough Rope way too late in my Clash listening experience (I first listened to it just last year ) but I really don't like it very much. Some of the tracks, English Civil War, Tommy Gun, Drug-Stabbing Time, and All the Young Punks seem "real", whereas most of the rest of the tracks seem like they're either just trying too hard or they're just simply "fake". Who knows, maybe Rope will grow on me with time as Combat Side 2 and Sandanista! has.

And I'm proud to say that I have never heard one song from Cut the Crap.

R.I.P Joe

p.s., and I don't care what people say, Big Audio Dynamite rocks!
Old 01-29-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi

FYI, of the albums you want to pick up, I would really recommend "Black Market Clash" (or as it's called now "Super Black Market Clash"). It's an "odd and ends" compilation but has some can't do without songs like "Bankrobber" "Armagideon Time" (great reggae songs), "Cheat" "Pressure Drop" (ska remake). I like this CD better than "Rope" or "Sandinista".

I heartily agree with atlantamoi. I'm a huge Clash fan, and really like all their stuff, but Black Market Clash may be my favorite recording, even though it's not an "official" release. It has a great mix of various things from all of their stages, and I think it's really representative of the spirit of the Clash. My only complaint is that the version of Pressure Drop on Super Black Market Clash is different than the version on the original Black Market Clash, and I prefer the other one a bit more. Man, I just love "The Prisoner"--what a great tune. Armagideon Time is just sooooooo heavy----it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. I think that song really shows what the Clash were so great at----no matter what style of music they played (and they pretty much played most of them), they never got overpowered by whatever genre they were playing---their own unique spirit and vibe came through and they just sounded like the Clash.

Here's a cool link for the Joe Strummer Memorial Forest on the Isle of Skye----buy a tree!!! :

http://www.futureforests.com/halloff...estrummer1.asp
Old 01-29-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
i recently got the same 3-pack. the clash are what rock and roll is all about.
Old 01-30-03, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jawn
I personally think the UK version of The Clash is better. It was meant to start off with Janie Jones.
What's the difference between the US and UK versions?
Old 01-30-03, 09:12 AM

UK Version:

1. Janie Jones
2. Remote Control
3. I'm So Bored With the U.S.A.
4. White Riot
5. Hate & War
6. What's My Name
7. Deny *
8. London's Burning
9. Career Opportunities
10. Cheat *
11. Protex Blue *
12. Police & Thieves
13. 48 Hours *
14. Garageland

* Not on US Version

US Version:

1. Clash City Rockers +
2. I'm So Bored With The U.S.A.
3. Remote Control
4. Complete Control +
5. White Riot
6. White Man In Hammersmith Palais +
7. London's Burning
8. I Fought The Law +
9. Janie Jones
10. Career Opportunities
11. What's My Name
12. Hate And War
13. Police And Thieves
14. Jail Guitar Doors +
15. Garageland

+ Not on UK Version

They're really both excellent and well worth having. I have both, but the UK version always seems to end up in my CD player...
Old 01-30-03, 12:16 PM

I would also recommend the 3-disc "Clash on Broadway" set. Excellent collection of hits, b-sides, and other material. It is the only Clash material I have bought so far but I have been very satisfied with the set.
Old 01-30-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

don't forget the DVD entitled Westway to the World which can be had for about 15 bucks.
Old 01-31-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes the DVD is an excellent docu that will help you get to know the band ever more. I saw a thick book on them at Border's the other day.

They are one of my all-time fave bands. I also like Big Audio Dynamite. One of my top songs is from their first album-"The Bottom Line" love the opening and "the horses are on the track".
Old 01-31-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great song Buford - great album too!

Was the book you saw "Last Gang in Town", or is there a new one out?
Old 02-04-03, 01:29 PM

I had never realized that the UK and US versions were so different, now I have more Clash to buy.
Old 02-04-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Great song Buford - great album too!

Was the book you saw "Last Gang in Town", or is there a new one out?
It looks like maybe it was revised or it's the softcover version?

The Clash: Return of the Last Gang in Town
by Marcus Gray

Did you read the original?
Old 02-04-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I've got the first one, but, uh, no I haven't read it. I've had it for yearrrrs too, but I had a hard time with it. Many biographies bore me to hell with the opening chapters, since most dwell so much on the subject's childhood, or worse, their parents, and even further family history. I'm like, uhhh, come on, let's get to 1977 already!

I need to learn to skip chapters.

I did read John Savage's generel history of punk, England's Dreaming, and that was cool.
Old 02-04-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ky-Fi
My only complaint is that the version of Pressure Drop on Super Black Market Clash is different than the version on the original Black Market Clash, and I prefer the other one a bit more. [/url]
I'm glad you said that. I always thought that was true. Unfortunately this is also the version (the newer one) they put on the box set. The older one is much tighter. Luckily I have a copy of it on tape somewhere.

In my opinion Sandinista is just frickin' weird -- though I really like Police on My Back.

I own these:

The Clash (US)
Give Em Enough Rope (good but not great)
London Calling
Super Black Market Clash
Clash on Broadway (box set)
Old 02-05-03, 11:46 AM

nice tribute to Joe (RIP)

check out the amazing tribute to Joe Strummer written by his friend Tom Morello at this link.
Old 02-05-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A very nice article, fazeem.

We need more music that contains actual...content. I hope The Clash continues to inspire.
Old 02-05-03, 05:11 PM

Hold off on buying "Westway to the World" Sony is going to be putting out a re-vamped version in the fall. It will include all of the Clash's video's and more unused interview footage.
Old 02-05-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Bobou2
Hold off on buying "Westway to the World" Sony is going to be putting out a re-vamped version in the fall. It will include all of the Clash's video's and more unused interview footage.
too late for me. guess I'll have to upgrade later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.