Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Anyone dig The Shins?

Old 01-21-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone dig The Shins?

Seems I'm the only person I know that loves this band. I don't even know if they are still together. Their only CD came out in 2001.
Old 01-21-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I've had Oh, Inverted World! for a year or so now and love it. It has a "summer" feel to it.
Old 01-21-03, 05:26 PM

I, too, enjoyed Oh, Inverted World! (Will have to find a copy of my own at some point.) I read somewhere that they'll have a new album out in 2003.
Old 01-21-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely. I saw them and heard of them for the first time last summer in Seattle at the Bumbershoot Festival, and really enjoyed them so I picked up the CD, which is even better (their sound didn't translate as well in a packed arena for me). Kind of Beach Boys-meets-Guided By Voices pop, with some amazing lyrics I'm still soaking up. I'm really eager for their next album to see what they do next. They have potential for greatness.
Old 01-21-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

new Entertainment Weekly has a blurb on their plans top release a new album this year
Old 01-21-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't particulary care for all their songs. I think they're an acquired taste. However, "Caring is Creepy" hit me like a ton of bricks. I LOVE this song.
Old 01-21-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love each and every song on the CD. They change up styles so many times. There is definitely one song that is a perfect Brian Wilson homage. The only other band that grabbed me like this recently was Wilco. Good company.
Old 01-22-03, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Check out the band before they called themselves "The Shins" . . . their actual first CD was under the name
Flake Music entitled "When You Land Here It's Time to Return". It's very hard to come by but worth trying to track down.

Go to http://www.allmusic.com for more info.

P.S. I tracked down "limited quantities" in stock at FYE.com.
$10.46 with the 20% coupon (FYE20SAVINGS) it comes to $8.37 + tax in applicable states (free shipping with $49 purchase)
Old 01-22-03, 06:42 PM

i have oh, inverted world, and i love the shins =P