Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Pretenders

Old 01-10-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Pretenders

I am speechless. I just got done listening to the new Pretenders album "Loose Screw" for the first time. I read some really great reviews but had no idea it was this good. This is hands down the best Pretenders album since their smokin' debut. Damn near brilliant. Actually, I think it is. Such a shame it won't get any exposure.
Old 01-10-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yep, great record and yes it will get little exposure due to Clear Channel Radio

listen

www.xmradio.com
www.xmfan.com
www.clubxm.com

Pretenders homepage

Last edited by musick; 01-10-03 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-11-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you SURE it's that good? Wow, that's a big statement. Well, maybe not, because Pretenders II was not a perfect record, but "Learning to Crawl" was AWESOME and the last really good recording from them. Each CD after that had only a few good songs... I'll have to listen thanks to your rec.

I'll always have a soft spot for this band.... I wish this kind of music was still considered "in".
Old 01-11-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Are you SURE it's that good? Wow, that's a big statement. Well, maybe not, because Pretenders II was not a perfect record, but "Learning to Crawl" was AWESOME and the last really good recording from them. Each CD after that had only a few good songs... I'll have to listen thanks to your rec.

I'll always have a soft spot for this band.... I wish this kind of music was still considered "in".

Yep, it sure is. That good that is

I too have always had a soft spot for the Pretenders. They are one of my favorite bands. I thought their first album was about as perfect as you could get. And really big shoes to fill for any follow-up. Therefore I never thought they quite matched the magic of that. Meaning, I thought they had some great songs on less than perfect albums after that. Pretenders I was amazing from start to finish. All other albums did have a few fillers on each. On "Loose Screw", all the songs are great. And the slickest album they've ever done. Wait until you hear it to understand what I mean. Bravo Chrissie!
Old 03-14-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretenders, The "Pirate Radio: 1979-2005 [box set]" (4-CD best-of/DVD)

Any Pretender love out there?

Gonna see if Best Buy stocked this today on my movie run. Most interested in the DVD, but would be nice ta have all the hits in one place. (have much of their stuff on vinyl)

Anyone picking this up?

Last edited by BassDude; 03-16-06 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-14-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the Pretenders so yes, I'll be picking this up. I'm sure you already have the Loose in L.A. live DVD? If not, get it now. Great concert.
Old 03-14-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know what's on the box set, but since I own most of their albums I doubt I'll buy it. The Pretenders are possibly in my top 10 bands of all time (and that's just for a couple of classic albums smattered with a ton of choice singles). I have their video collection DVD which has a nifty documentary as well.
Old 03-14-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

post the details plz m8
Old 03-14-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
post the details plz m8
http://www.pretendersarchives.com/PirateRadio.html

Disc 1
1. Precious (Regent Park Demo)*
2. Stop Your Sobbing
3. The Wait (Single Version)
4. Kid
5. Tattooed Love Boys
6. Mystery Achievement
7. Brass In Pocket
8. Porcelain
9. Talk Of The Town
10. Message Of Love
11. Cuban Slide
12. What You Gonna Do About It
13. The Adultress
14. Bad Boys Get Spanked
15. I Go To Sleep
16. Day After Day
17. Birds Of Paradise
18. The English Roses
19. Time The Avenger
20. Watching The Clothes (Denmark Street Demo)*
21. Show Me

Disc 2
1. Back On The Chain Gang
2. Thumbelina
3. Thin Line Between Love And Hate
4. My City Was Gone
5. Middle Of The Road
6. Tequila*
7. 2000 Miles
8. When I Change My Life (Alternate Version)*
9. My Baby
10. Worlds Within Worlds*
11. Don't Get Me Wrong
12. Hymn To Her
13. Tradition Of Love
14. Room Full Of Mirrors
15. Reconsider Me*
16. Hold A Candle To This (Alternate Version)*
17. Windows Of The World
18. Never Do That
19. No Guarantee
20. Not A Second Time

Disc 3
1. Sense Of Purpose
2. Downtown (Akron)
3. How Do I Miss You
4. Bold As Love
5. When Will I See You
6. Hollywood Perfume
7. Night In My Veins
8. 977
9. All My Dreams
10. Angel Of The Morning (Original Version)*
11. Money Talk
12. Rebel Rock Me
13. I'll Stand By You
14. Every Mothers' Son (Demo)*
15. Love Colours
16. Private Life (Live)
17. Lovers Of Today (Live)
18. Creep (Live)
19. Criminal (Live)
20. Revolution (Live)

Disc 4
1. Everyday Is Like Sunday
2. Human (Class Mix)
3. Popstar
4. Back Down*
5. California*
6. The Needle And The Damage Done
7. From The Heart Down (Alternate Version)*
8. Who's Who
9. Biker
10. Nails In The Road
11. Legalize Me
12. The Homecoming (Live)*
13. Up The Neck (Live)*
14. Fools Must Die (Live)*
15. Nothing Breaks Like A Heart
16. Lie To Me
17. Complex Person
18. You Know Who Your Friends Are
19. I Should Of
20. The Losing
*Previously Unissued

DVD
Talk Of The Town (TOTP [they show the video])
The Adultress (Fridays)
The Wait (All Right Now)
Hollywood Perfume (Later with Jools Holland)
Brass In Pocket (TOTP)
977 (Later with Jools Holland)
Never Do That (Terry Wogan Show)
Thumbelina (The New Show)
2000 Miles (Pebble Mill)
Night In My Veins (TOTP)
My City Was Gone (Phoenix, AZ, 1994)
Tattooed Love Boys (All Right Now)
Middle Of The Road (MTV)
Don't Get Me Wrong (TOTP)
Criminal (Pebble Mill)
Roomfull Of Mirrors (video)
Louie Louie (Fridays)
Stop Your Sobbing (TOTP)
Tattooed Love Boys/Up The Neck (OGWT)
Old 03-14-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OMG! I just notced the Phoenix AZ 1994 clip of My City Was Gone. I have been to every local Pretenders show since 1983, and if this one is outside in Tempe, I was "front row." Gonna have ta look for myself.

No luck at Best Buy. Had some RewardZone coupons to use ta bring the price down a bit. Will have ta look elsewhere.

And Daytripper, thanks! I DO have that disc and love it. Also the Unplugged and Videos DVDs. Can't get enough of Chrissie and the lads!
Old 03-14-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, there is some interesting looking stuff on there I've never heard before. Laughing about a clip from "Fridays" (haven't heard that show mentioned in a long time). "Everyday Is Like Sunday"? "Needle And The Damage Done"? I'd like to hear those covers.

Ya know, the one song on that box set that I wish had been a huge hit is "Human". Her singing in that tune shows how strong her voice still is. Gorgeous stuff.
Old 03-14-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're one of my favorite bands. I saw them a few years back and sat next to Chrissie's mom and family. They were the most subdued people in the seats.

I will probably get this with some credit I have at Borders and a 25-30 percent off coupon.

The new Esquire has a shot of Chrissie and Martin in a bathtub. They won an Espy award from the mag. There's a response from Chrissie printed as well.
Old 03-14-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Wow, there is some interesting looking stuff on there I've never heard before. Laughing about a clip from "Fridays" (haven't heard that show mentioned in a long time). "Everyday Is Like Sunday"? "Needle And The Damage Done"? I'd like to hear those covers.

Ya know, the one song on that box set that I wish had been a huge hit is "Human". Her singing in that tune shows how strong her voice still is. Gorgeous stuff.
Couldn't agree more. It's criminal how some of the newer material from older bands (which I think gets better the older they get) never gets any promotion from their label and gets no airplay. The Go-Go's last album is a perfect example. One of the best rock/pop albums I've ever heard. And it barely sold 100,000 copies. And then I see the crap that does sell. Makes me sick. But back to the Pretenders..... "Human" is a gem. And I am a huge fan of "Loose Screw" too.
Old 03-15-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just realized I don't have the first four albums on cd. I have them on vinyl and played them many, many times. I do have the last five on cd. I guess I really need this box set.
Old 03-15-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they would have called this Ninja Radio I probably whould have purchased this, but since they are siding with Pirates I have to let it pass.
Old 03-15-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I stopped by Borders today but sadly noticed that the 25 percent off coupon starts Thursday. I checked the price and they had it on sale for $64.99 from $74.99 list.

So it's about 15 percent off. I guess I'll go back and they'll say I can't use the coupon on sale items and I'll say charge me normal price and then use the coupon. That'll cut it to about $56.50 before tax.
Old 03-16-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HA! Let us know how it goes Buford.

I found it at Virgin Music store....for $79.99! When I said "ya know the list price is 74.99"..the clerk looked at me with a "these go to 11" stare.

$59.97 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...Fencoding=UTF8

May give up and order from them.

Last edited by BassDude; 03-16-06 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-16-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've done the sale protest before.

A few years ago they had a 50 percent off coupon for one cd.

The one I wanted was already on "sale" and marked $13.99 from $16.99. The guy said I couldn't use it and I said charge regular so I can get it for $8.50.

The guy said "wow, that is cheaper!" and seemed genuinely surprised. Oi.
Old 03-16-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Worked! I got a 25% off coupon in my e-mail for Borders as well. Had 'em charge me full list, then take 25% off. Took him a minute, but he got it. (Thx BTP!)

Haven't had much of a chance to listen, but heard PRECIOUS with hand claps and a fade out ending. Cool alternate version.

I popped in the DVD for a sec on my work PC and I defintely remember being at that show. Not sure where in the set My City Was Gone, so not sure if I had made it to the front by then, but will look for myself on my 57 inch when I get home. Not many shots of the crowd except during the guitar solo...so...not expecting much.

Great set! Looking forward to diving into the book when I get home.
Old 03-16-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd really like this but I think I'll wait and see if it shows up at yourmusic.com for $29.95.
Old 03-16-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BassDude
Worked! I got a 25% off coupon in my e-mail for Borders as well. Had 'em charge me full list, then take 25% off. Took him a minute, but he got it. (Thx BTP!)

I picked it up today and checked the receipt and they charged me full price before the coupon without me even asking. Kinda hoped they'd accidentally take it off the sale price.

The packaging isn't bad but those who like to take cds w/cases out of the box won't like it. I've played the first three songs on the DVD and it was fun to see them.
Old 04-14-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Pretenders remasters

I just picked up Pretenders II special edition remaster today, I've had the debut awhile and figured to go ahead and get the second cd as well. Does anyone know if there's going to be the same treatment given to Learning To Crawl? I ask because it's generally regarded by critics as a superior album than Pretenders II and was perhaps their greatest commercial success, so I am surprised that one didn't get the same deluxe treatment as the first two.

I haven't listened to the Pretenders II remaster yet but it looks great. The second disc contains a complete concert from September 1981 (takes up the majority of the bonus disc)and a couple of demo versions. The self-titled makes for an amazing remaster both in sound quality as well as extras. I am not a big fan of Chrissie's later releases but the first three albums are ace.
Old 04-14-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i recently got both of them. while the first album is great to have remastered, i'm not big on the bonus disc. the live show on the bonus disc for II is great though.

i haven't heard anything regarding learning to crawl, but i'd love to have a remaster.
Old 04-15-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HUGE Pretenders fan here. How did this slip under my radar. Are the first two albums in surround sound 5.1?
Old 04-15-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
HUGE Pretenders fan here. How did this slip under my radar. Are the first two albums in surround sound 5.1?
nope, just stereo remasters, but considering the first two albums were issued on CD over 20 years ago, the sound improvement is amazing. They are also packaged almost like LP replica sleeves. Both came out in October last year and they both have bonus discs loaded with extras.

I hope they follow with one for Learning To Crawl as well, and maybe even Get Close (after all, GC did sell well and had one of their biggest hits)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.