Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Pretenders

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 10:13 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEARNING TO CRAWL & GET CLOSE are set to be released June 5....each only has a few bonus tracks and are single discs.
Old 04-15-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffDoeXXX
LEARNING TO CRAWL & GET CLOSE are set to be released June 5....each only has a few bonus tracks and are single discs.
linky?
Old 04-15-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, that's some great timing then. I love Learning To Crawl
Old 04-16-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
...The second disc contains a complete concert from September 1981 (takes up the majority of the bonus disc)...
Actually, the concert is NOT complete. I believe (off the top of my head) that it's missing Tattooed Love Boys. (The complete concert was broadcast on the radio...Which has been shared online quite a bit...)
Old 04-18-07, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=nothingfails]nope, just stereo remasters, but considering the first two albums were issued on CD over 20 years ago, the sound improvement is amazing.

ditto there! the original cd issues were in most desperate need of a remaster.
Old 05-03-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Ordered mine from Half.com and got it in the mail today. Freakin' Disc #1 is missing (!??) I contacted the seller (who has a 100% rating). How can a disc be missing from a factory sealed item? I've never had that happen to me with any factory sealed DVD or CD I've ever purchased. Ever. Hoping this isn't a boot. The packaging is just a cardboard book/case that opens with three pockets. One had a small booklet and the other Disc #2. Not a plastic jewel case. Is this the same as everyone else? Thanks.
Old 05-03-07, 07:48 PM

One had a small booklet and the other Disc #2. Not a plastic jewel case. Is this the same as everyone else?
Assuming you are talking about the debut...

Trifold digipak Honeymoon Scott photo on left inside with CD, Robot/Woman artwork in middle inside with booklet-top opening, Martin Chambers photo right inside with 2nd CD.

TJS
Old 10-12-08, 03:13 PM
Cool New Member

New PRETENDERS cd!

I'm so excited, the Pretenders have a new cd out called BREAK UP THE CONCRETE.

Also, Best Buy has an exclusive version with 2 bonus tracks. I broke down and bought a copy from them and I think it's pretty damn good. It's a return to their roots of sorts. The title track and BOOTS OF CHINESE PLASTIC are the closest that they've come to sounding like the original line-up since their second album. Think the Pretenders' version of punk mixed with rock-a-billy guitars. The rest of the tracks have a stripped down old school rock and blues vibe with the occasional slide guitar here and there. IMHO, a very cool album indeed. If you're a fan of the original Pretenders you need to check this one out. Have any of you heard this one yet?
Old 10-12-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This release snuck up on me. I only knew it was out when I saw it on metacritic. I love me some Pretenders. Go to YouTube to see their performance on Letterman last week. They kicked ass!
Old 10-12-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The title track and Boots Of Chinese Plastic are the only ones that really stood out to me, and like you said, they sound like the early Pretenders. A lot of the album is too blues/country for my taste. But then, I haven't really liked an entire album of theirs since Learning To Crawl. Last Of The Independents came close but even that had a lot of filler.
Old 10-12-08, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

While I agree that I wish the album rocked more overall I am happy with it so far. I'll reserve final judgement until I've had more time to listen to it for awhile. One thing I really like about it though is that none of the songs sound overproduced. Even the slower tracks have a raw feel that is more similar to old school 50's/60's rock n blues than what's being released today or what the Pretenders have done on their last several albums. I really think this kind of production suits Chrissie's voice and songwriting style perfectly.
Old 10-12-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are a few great songs and the scaled back production is nice, but it doesn't come anywhere close to the first few albums. Not that I expect that.
Old 10-13-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll pick it up this week from Best Buy.
Old 10-14-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow, I was impressed with the Letterman performance. Old school Pretenders for sure: high energy and rapid fire vocals. Thanks for the heads up on this!
Old 01-19-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Faith Hill and the Pretenders - CMT Crossroads 02/05/11

Faith Hill and the Pretenders are the latest pairing for CMT Crossroads. The episode will air live from Grand Prairie, Texas, on Feb. 5, the night before the Super Bowl. This is Hill's first appearance on CMT Crossroads and only the second time the series has aired live. The show will occur amid the NFL Pepsi Super Bowl Fan Jam. Hill is prominently featured in NBC's Sunday Night Football. The Pretenders, fronted by Chrissie Hynde, joined the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.
Old 04-23-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Pretenders - Original Album Series (Box set) Question

Does anyone know which mix was used on this set?

How would you rate the overall audio quality?
Old 04-23-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Pretenders - Original Album Series (Box set) Question

You're probably better off asking over at the Steve Hoffman forums. They obsess over stuff like this. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 04-23-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Looked on Amazon and couldn't find it.

Original Album Classics(Sony)-latest remaster including bonus tracks

Original Album Series(WB)- I have Little Feat one and not remastered. Not sure if these have been remastered.

There was a third, similar "Original Album" box set series, but now I can't find any of them on Amazon. There is a Thin Lizzy one. Can't find it. Customer reviews I read stated they had been transferred from vinyl. Pops and crakles could be heard between songs. Was Pretenders one of these?
Old 04-23-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
You're probably better off asking over at the Steve Hoffman forums. They obsess over stuff like this. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
I've already done that. Didn't get a response. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-08-16, 09:05 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
The Pretenders - Alone - 10/21/16

Their first since 2008’s Break Up the Concrete, it’s called Alone, and will be out on October 21. Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach produces.

Tracklist
1. Alone Song
2. Roadie Man
3. Gotta Wait
4. Never Be Together
5. Let’s Get Lost
6. Chord Lord
7. Blue Eyed Sky
8. Be The Man That You Are
9. One More Day
10. I Hate Myself
11. Death Is Not Enough
12. Holy Commotion

<iframe width="630" height="354" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JStKEEujtIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They will be opening for Stevie Nicks on a big tour this fall.
Old 09-08-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Re: The Pretenders - Alone - 10/21/16

Yeah, that was a pretty good song.

I saw Crissy a few years ago and she's still got it, she sounded great. Glad to see she's back with some form of The Pretenders.
Old 09-08-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesus Christ, that song is AWFUL! What the hell happened!? I'm a huge huge huge fan of this band. They are one of my favorites. And I think their first album is one of the greatest debuts of all-time. Top 10 IMO. Not sure exactly how I would label it. Punk "lite" maybe? The rest of their albums were rock and sometimes pop ("I'll Stand By You"). But this is just garbage. And a disgrace. How exactly is this going to fit in between songs like "Precious" and "Middle of the Road" (among many of their other guitar heavy songs) during their upcoming tour!?
Old 09-10-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Everything Dan produces sounds like a Black Keys outtake. He kinda wrecked the last Cage The Elephant album but luckly they still kicked ass live. Same with Christie but not a big fan of that song.
Old 10-21-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The album was released today. I sampled every track and it's quite good. Save for "Holy Commotion!". That is still a travesty. This is the best track:

Old 03-21-19, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: New PRETENDERS cd!

Thread bump from a long time ago!

This video is from the episode "Problem Dog" from season 4 of Breaking Bad. This is the audio from the actual episode, with the song "Boots of Chinese Plastic" from Break Up the Concrete.

When I first saw and heard this while watching the show a few years ago, I thought that my memory was going bad, because although it was "obvious" to me that this was from one of their first two albums, I couldn't quite remember which specific song or which specific album it was was.

The fact that this is from more than two decades later just blew me away.

The rest of the album is just as good.

I'd say it's their best since Learning to Crawl.

Amazing drum work by legendary drummer Jim Keltner.

This wonderful sounding CD proves that the only reason so many other CDs sound so horrible is because of the production and engineering. The CD format itself is capable of superbly high quality sound if the engineers and producers don't ruin it.