Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Earth to Avril, Earth to Avril: your 15 minutes are up

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Earth to Avril, Earth to Avril: your 15 minutes are up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GuessWho
BTW, she doesn't "suck" -- sounded great this week on SNL. her voice sounded better live than the recordings.

Good joke!
Old 01-13-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Did you watch?

She actually had a voice under there that started to show a bit. She could perhaps do the Mariah/Whitney ballads if that's the direction she wanted to go in. Her current songs don't use it, but I think (based on SNL) she has the pipes for it.
Old 01-13-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She actually had a voice under there that started to show a bit. She could perhaps do the Mariah/Whitney ballads if that's the direction she wanted to go in. Her current songs don't use it, but I think (based on SNL) she has the pipes for it.
Great. Just what we need. Another Celine Dion. Can't they just stay in Canada?
Old 01-13-03, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by conscience

Good joke!
Old 01-13-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bo-wee? What are you talking aboot?

Hosers.
Old 01-13-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Great. Just what we need. Another Celine Dion. Can't they just stay in Canada?
No thanks, we don't want them either. Anyway, they seem to find their success (ie. big money) down there, whereas many quality Canadian "celebs" stay close to home.
Old 01-13-03, 11:21 PM
Banned

Shes 18 and the sad part is she DIDN'T grow up listening to Nirvana and Green Day. shes all into Sum 41 and Box Car Racer. she doesn't even know who the Sex Pistols are for god's sake, somebody shoot her and spare me the misery of typing any more.
Old 01-13-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, she doesn't "suck" -- sounded great this week on SNL. her voice sounded better live than the recordings.
I just caught it, and was also surprised. I thought she did real good.

And no, I'm no fan. I don't listen to the radio, don't have MTv 2, or whatever it's called, and pretty much stay stuck in my own little world. But somewhere along the way, that one song did make it's way into my consciousness, and so when I saw her on t.v., I thought "oh yeah, here we go, here's this radio pop sensation singing live... let's see how bad she sucks." For those of you who are bashing her, based on the SNL performance? You're nuts - she carried that song from beginning to end with maybe one flaw in pitch, at one point. I was surprised, but I'm more surprised that someone could consider that a bad performance.

Okay, back to my little world again.
Old 01-14-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Her songs are generic and poorly written and her image is as fake as can be. She tries to pull off some sort of "punk rock" image by wearing a stupid sock on her sleeve, acting bratty in interviews/performances, etc.

It is all those things that make her suck. She may have the pipes, she might not -- that's all in the eye of the beholder. However, I'd rather go support someone who has the pipes but without the attitude and without being fake.

I saw the SNL performance. The sound was generic -- really nothing new there -- but just by looking at the facial expressions on her face you could tell that she thought she was too good to even play SNL! She looked bored half the time and put off the other half of the time.

I find it astounding that the country has embraced someone so fake and someone so poor at writing quality lyrical content.

"He was a sk8er boi, she said see you later boy"

Brilliant.

I hope Avril takes a long walk off a short cliff.
Old 01-14-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by El Scorcho
She looked bored half the time and put off the other half of the time.
Dude! This is what makes her a punk!

I find it astounding that the country has embraced someone so fake and someone so poor at writing quality lyrical content.
You're not really astounded by this, right? Similar to me, it's just something you like saying...right?
Old 01-14-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely a figure of speech.

Gah, I wish I could just be happy in my own little musical world but pop music is everywhere and it's impossible to ignore little whores like Avril who somehow make it big.
Old 01-14-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Gah, I wish I could just be happy in my own little musical world but pop music is everywhere and it's impossible to ignore little whores like Avril who somehow make it big.
Amen brotha
Old 01-14-03, 02:50 PM

Here's an article in today's Washington Post about Avril.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jan13.html

The article makes the same points as a couple other articles I've read in mainstream newspapers about her -- she used was initially pegged as a Faith/Shania clone, but at some point she decided she wanted something more "ragged" (I am going to avoid the use of the word "punk," which seems somewhat loaded at this point, and I'm not sure she would use the word, either). It's unclear exactly how much of this is label propaganda, but I'm willing to believe that at least some of it was Levigne's choice.

For what it's worth, I prefer a musical world in which Avril is leading the prefab pop crowd than one in which Britney and the Backstreet Boys are leading. She plays an instrument, co-writes at least some portion of her songs, and actually sings in concert. And if thousands of preteen girls are encouraged to take up guitar (as suggested by the Post article), how can that be bad?

As for the Bowie comment, sure, that was stupid. But I'm guessing that the last time he hit the Billboard charts, Avril wasn't even born yet.

For the record, I think "Complicated" is a catchy record, "Sk8ter Boi" is a really dumb record, and I don't ever plan to buy her album. I'm just amused that this debate has gone to 3 pages (and suckered me into it).

Last edited by SAShepherd; 01-14-03 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey here's another debate that went 3 pages as well.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=punk
Old 01-14-03, 03:06 PM
Banned

your point is well taken,. I personally have no problem with Avril Lavinge, your right, at least she plays her own instrument, actually sings herself and writes her own songs. Thats a hell of a lot more that i've ever said about NSync, but the fact that she puts a tie on and calls herself punk, goes against everything punk is about. She has turned punk into a fashion, and in reality doesn't know anything about real punk.

Its sad to see that our world is so obsessed with someone so fake, it shows how dumb most of us all really are. The best way to deal with it, is just not let it affect your life, think about it, in 10 years is it really gonna matter anyways?
Old 01-14-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought she didn't play guitar. Why doesn't she durring performances.
Old 01-14-03, 03:10 PM
Banned

cause she sucks at guitar, she can't play live worth a damn.
Old 01-14-03, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by SAShepherd
As for the Bowie comment, sure, that was stupid. But I'm guessing that the last time he hit the Billboard charts, Avril wasn't even born yet.
I never heard any of Bowies songs growing up, or for that matter through my teen years as well. BUT how can anyone who even slightly likes music have never heard the name David Bowie....its amazing to me!
Old 01-14-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only Bowie song that I've heard is the cover of "Little Drummer Boy" with Bing Crosby.
Old 01-14-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RomperStomper
but the fact that she puts a tie on and calls herself punk, goes against everything punk is about. She has turned punk into a fashion, and in reality doesn't know anything about real punk.
HA! Punk was born of Fashion! Ever heard how the Sex Pistols got together? It was through Malcom McClaren's sex wear shop. By their very anti-fashion, they created "punk fashion". And you can't tell me that Chuck T. high tops, black leather biker jackets, and faded, ripped jeans, a la The Ramones, ain't fashion either. It's just not high fashion.
Old 01-14-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
"There she was, just walkin' down the street
Singin' doo wah diddy
Ditty dum ditty doo"

Who said lyrics needed to be brilliant?

And I don't give a rat's ass about "fake" or "she isnt real punk"
The sock on her arm doesn't come out of my radio's speakers... the songs do.

Not all entertainment needs to be "art" -- just have fun with it, the songs are catchy if you just relax and take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by GuessWho; 01-14-03 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by RomperStomper
Shes 18 and the sad part is she DIDN'T grow up listening to Nirvana and Green Day. shes all into Sum 41 and Box Car Racer. she doesn't even know who the Sex Pistols are for god's sake, somebody shoot her and spare me the misery of typing any more.
She doesn't know who the Sex Pistols are and she says shes punk? I thought calling yourself punk and not knowing who the Sex Pistols are is equivalent to calling yourself metal and not knowing who Metallica is.
Old 01-14-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the Entertainment Weekly where she was the cover story that came out a couple of months back :

As for the assault on her punk credentials -- a war waged on message boards between her true believers and teens who have a powerful urge to reject Lavigne as a role model -- she sighs, suggesting it's all just semantics. ''Punk is a touchy subject,'' Lavigne says. ''A punk is a person who's always getting in trouble and doing things they're not supposed to. Yeah, I do that.... Then there's punk as a way of life, and punk rock as an aggressive form of music, which is very political, and I never said I was that.... People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?''

At least she's honest about being no historian. ''My favorite new band is Boxcar Racer, and I like blink-182, Sum 41, System of a Down...but I just bought a Ramones CD, because I want to know what everyone's talking about.''

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,384096~7~~,00.html
Old 01-14-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"There she was, just walkin' down the street
Singin' doo wah diddy
Ditty dum ditty doo"

Who said lyrics needed to be brilliant?
Well, that song was written quite a long time ago. I'd hope that artists would shoot a little higher. Then again...

I really don't think she has any sort of singing voice. It isn't the worst I've heard, but her range is narrow and her pitch control is atrocious. The ballad that she sung first on SNL sounded like it was rearranged from the studio version so that she could perform it live.

IMO, "her" pop music is dull, ambitionless and dishonest. I think Pink does her "acceptably rebellious teen" schtick significantly better and has well done pop songs to back it up.
Old 01-14-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darqleo
In the Entertainment Weekly where she was the cover story that came out a couple of months back :

I just bought a Ramones CD, because I want to know what everyone's talking about.''

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,384096~7~~,00.html
For that alone, she gets brownie points from me. It's too bad that everyone will undoubtedly jump all over her ass for being a poseur or a bandwagoner if it just so happens she ends up liking them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.