Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Thin Lizzy

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 10:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Thin Lizzy

Any Thin Lizzy fans here? I think this one of the more underappreciated rock bands of the 70s-early 80s. They put out several albums and have many wonderful tunes, IMO.

Here are my faves:

The Cowboy Song
Whiskey in the Jar
Jailbreak
Rocky
Soldier of Fortune
The Boys Are Back in Town
Chinatown

Old 11-04-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Oh yeah, I have quite a few of their albums when they were popular at the time. I was pretty saddend when bassist/singer Phil Lynott died a few years ago even when the band broke up. Still they were one of few great lives band at the time.

My faves:

Bad Reputation
The Cowboy Song
Emerald
Rocker
Rosalie
Warrior
Old 11-05-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They had a huge influence on the Irish rock scene. U2 loved 'em.
I'm not really into to them that much. Sounds very dated (not in the best way either).
Old 11-05-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Massacre
Old 11-05-02, 04:51 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been a fan since the release of Jailbreak. My favorite tracks?

Whiskey in the Jar
Wild One
Cowboy Song
Bad Reputation
Suicide
Angel of Death
Renegade
Old 11-06-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Man, I've been a Lizzy fan since '82 or so (late to the game, but I was only 14 at the time).

There are WAY too many songs to name ALL of my favorites, but let me list a few off the top of my head....

Jailbreak
The Rocker
Warrior
Emerald
Cowboy Song
Bad Reputation
Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
Massacre

and my absolute favorite - Cold Sweat

Interestingly enough, a (relatively) new incarnation of "Thin Lizzy" has been out and touring over the last 3 or so years featuring classic Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham, former Lizzy guitarist John Sykes (also of Whitesnake, Tygers Of Pan Tang, and Blue Murder), Marco Mendoza (Ted Nugent), and Tommy Aldridge (drum god).

As much as it seems like sacrilege for them to tour as Lizzy without Phil Lynott (who, of course, died very early in 1986), it is really done as a tribute to Phil - who planned on a Thin Lizzy reunion in 1987 after his solo album and tour were complete in 1986. They are VERY respectful of Phil, and Sykes' vocals are VERY reminiscent of Phil's.

If you still doubt that the spirit of Thin Lizzy is with these guys then catch them live if you get a chance. Trust me, you will walk out of the place AMAZED. They are that good live. Close your eyes and you will think that the line-up of 1982-83 is back - only they also have a bit of the Brian Robertson era feel to them as well. I was skeptical about them being billed as Thin Lizzy before I saw them, but now I'm a believer. I'd love to hear a new studio album from this line-up.

But, until that happens there is always Lizzy's great back catalog. So many great songs, and several great albums. Thin Lizzy is easily one of the greatest Rock band of ALL TIME!
Old 11-08-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearly one of the greatest bands ever, and one that fully deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but will never get there because of the idiots who vote. There music is still fresh today AND NOT AT ALL dated in any way. They make today's hard rock bands sound like amateurish posers. And Lynott was such an underrated lyricist. I've been a huge fan since 1976. Favorite tunes? There's so many, but here's a few:

Angel of Death
Got to Give it Up
Opium Trail
Holy War
Massacre
The Cowboy Song
Soldier of Fortune
Fool's Gold
Black Rose
Cold Sweat
Old 11-08-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Not a huge fan, but I've always liked them.

I saw them once, opening for Queen when I was in 8th grade, so it must have been around 1978 or so (they opened with Jailbreak and closed with Boys are Back in Town). One of the better opening acts I've seen.