Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Test For Echo

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test For Echo

Damn, guys, why didn't anyone tell me how great this CD is???

I've been a Rush fan since the mid 70s, and had given up on Rush after the Rush turned into wimps in the 80s, especially the Power Windows record, which I thought was absolutely horrible.

I had totally written this band off and thrived on the memories of a once-great Rush.

But I saw them in concert and decided to get Test For Echo. And it's frickin awesome! Every song is incredible. I'm so ashamed. Looking forward to getting Vapor Trails...

Anything else between Power Windows and TFO that must be in my collection?
Old 10-26-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Counterparts. You must get Counterparts.

Everything on TFE is great...except for Dog Years...I just can't listen to the lyrics on that song.
Old 10-26-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by KnightLerxst

Everything on TFE is great...except for Dog Years...I just can't listen to the lyrics on that song.
Yup Counterparts is the bomb, but Vapor Trails is much better.

Just my opinion....
Old 10-26-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lateralus
Yup Counterparts is the bomb, but Vapor Trails is much better.

Just my opinion....
Vapor Trails is indeed much better...the best thing they have put out since Signals.
Old 10-26-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't stand most of TFE, Vapor Trails is definitely better. Counterparts is my favorite album of theirs in the past 15 years by far. Half of the songs on Roll the Bones are incredible, the other half are meh. Presto and Hold Your Fire are pretty wussy, but I like them.
Old 10-26-02, 04:52 AM

But the _music_ is great!

I agree to some extent, the lyrics are a little too cute ("...chasing cars in doggie heaven" ). But I like the message.

Counterparts -- ordered from BMG! Previewed the tracks and it sounds pretty good.
Old 10-26-02, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Aghama
I can't stand most of TFE, Vapor Trails is definitely better. Counterparts is my favorite album of theirs in the past 15 years by far. Half of the songs on Roll the Bones are incredible, the other half are meh. Presto and Hold Your Fire are pretty wussy, but I like them.
Wow, interesting that you hate TFE. But if you like Presto and Hold Your Fire, maybe I understand why.

I do NOT like Roll The Bones. Guitars turned way down. Post production keyboard textures turned way up. This is the kind of "wussy" stuff that turned me off from Rush after Signals (which I think is a successful blend of guitar and those dreaded 80s textures).
Old 10-26-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarkElf
...Signals (which I think is a successful blend of guitar and those dreaded 80s textures).
Ah yes. Signals is my favorite Rush album, I like it more than Moving Pictures.

Those analog synths on that album had a perfect warmth, and the sawtooth they used on Subdivisions had a perfect nasty edge to it. Love that stuff.

I liked the synth sound on Grace Under Pressure, kinda similar to Signals, but after that the keyboards became to bright and cold, I just hate the sound of post GUP keyboards...I love Big Money off of PW, but I have to grit my teeth to get though that keyboard.
Old 10-26-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of their new stuff (IMHO) Counterparts beats Vapor Trails which beats Test for Echo.

IMHO, Test for Echo is the worst Rush album there is.
Old 10-26-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DarkElf
Wow, interesting that you hate TFE. But if you like Presto and Hold Your Fire, maybe I understand why.

I do NOT like Roll The Bones. Guitars turned way down. Post production keyboard textures turned way up. This is the kind of "wussy" stuff that turned me off from Rush after Signals (which I think is a successful blend of guitar and those dreaded 80s textures).
I like most of their stuff. Everybody I know hates TFE. The lyrics are garbage and the music is uninspired.

Half of RTB is wussy, half is outstanding, IMO. The guitars may be down, but Geddy's bass is up and kickin', and it has some of my favorite drum work by Neil.
Old 10-26-02, 02:45 PM

This is a very interesting discussion.

I suppose it may come down to when you became a Rush fan, and which albums you liked. The fact that I use the term "album" probably gives my situation away. I was first exposed to them when A Farewell To Kings came out in 77. So I had a good 5 or so years of this style of Rush before they pushed Alex into the background in favor of heavier keyboards.

I remember when Signals came out, all my Rush fans HATED it for just the reasons I stated. For whatever reason, I still liked the record. But once Grace Under Pressure came out, that was it for me. It wasn't the same guitar-oriented, musically complex Rush that had thrilled me for years. They, like other 70s supergroups (Foreigner, Journey, etc.), succumbed to the keyboard-laden, overproduced sound of the 80s.

When I opened up TFE last week and played it for the first time, my immediate thought was, wow, this is much more like OLD Rush, mainly that Alex was back and the use of unusual time signatures. I haven't had the opportunity to really dig into the lyrics, but on the surface, they don't excite me. But I really loved that their lyrics told STORIES before. I'm less into the abstract.

So for those that hate TFE, I wonder where your "roots" lie in Rush? 70s? 80s? 90s?

This discussion has been useful. Thanks. I've picked up Grace Under Pressure (only for Red Sector A -- $1.99 sale at BMG, so why not), Counterparts and TFE. Vapor Trails probably won't be available from BMG for several months, I assume...
Old 10-26-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My first Rush album was HYF, my brother gave it to me along with a couple other tapes for my 10th or 11th birthday, mainly because he was getting them on CD. I bought A Show of Hands pretty soon after it came out, and he dubbed Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves for me at some point. PeW is still my favorite Rush album. I wasn't crazy about the next two albums, but I bought Counterparts when we finally got a CD player (my brother had taken his to college) and loved it. Then I started buying the rest of the albums. When I got to college I started frequenting IRC and was in a Rush chat channel. I ended up seeing them 4 times on the TFE tour, twice in Toronto with a bunch of internet geeks, a couple of which became really good friends.

...wow, that was boring.

BTW, I still use the term album, I don't think it's outdated at all. What other word can you use to describe the music on the CD, as opposed to the CD itself?
Old 10-26-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread just shows you how the opinions of Rush fans can greatly differ. I've been a hardcore fan since about around when "2112" came out. And I consider "Grace Under Pressure", and especially "Power Windows" to be among their very best albums. I love the grandiose sound of "Power Windows" and it may very well be my favorite Rush album. I guess my Top 5 would probably look like this:
1. Power Windows
2. Permanent Waves
3. Grace Under Pressure
4. Hemispheres
5. A Farewell to Kings
And personally I think "Test for Echo" and "Counterparts" are probably their two weakest albums. And "Vapor Trails" isn't an improvement. But, let me make this perfectly clear: I still think all three are excellent. In fact, to be honest, I'm one of those fans who likes every single Rush song ever recorded. Obviously, some are much better than others, but there's not a single Rush song I can say I don't care for. I've seen them live 8 times (starting with the "Tour of the Hemispheres"), and during the heydey of my vinyl collecting, I had over 150 different Rush records.
Old 10-27-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I am actually listening to Grace Under Pressure right now...man what a certified Rush freak...

Anyway, I think that if you go from Farewell to Kings through Signals, that you do not find a single weak song on any of those albums, in my opinion. On Grace you have Red Lenses, which throws the balance off in my opinion.

Power Windows has great songs on it, but not all are great...then you get to Hold Your Fire, which has some great songs on it, but some that you can just do without.

I love everything by Rush, I am just ranking from best quality to worst, and I would take half assed Rush over almost any new popular music coming out today.

I think Vapor Trails is an amazing record, it is in my opinion their first balanced album since Signals...every track is solid. I know a decent amount of people who don't like One Little Victory, I love it, Neils intro just friggin kills me.
Old 10-27-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts
I always liked T4E. There are a few clunkers, like Dog Years, but there are some great tracks like Driven and Totem. Their song about the internet is better than most, although it's a corny topic to begin with.

I'm still trying to warm up to Vapor Trails, but it does have some good stuff, especially in the later half. I don't think it's as good as Counterparts though.
Old 10-27-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I like most of the music on Vapor Trails, I'm still having a really tough time with the sound quality. The digital distortion on this disc is ridiculous. I can't listen to more than about 3 songs in a row without my ears hurting from all the high frequency crackle.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but it really has ruined what could have been a great album for me.

More on topic, it took me awhile to warm up to the T4E album. IMO, it was a big let down from Counterparts, which was fantastic. Some of the tracks are great, but (again, IMO) most are forgettable.

Last edited by edclem; 10-27-02 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-27-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edclem
While I like most of the music on Vapor Trails, I'm still having a really tough time with the sound quality. The digital distortion on this disc is ridiculous. I can't listen to more than about 3 songs in a row without my ears hurting from all the high frequency crackle.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but it really has ruined what could have been a great album for me.

You might want to check out the boards at www.rushchronicles.com, there is an ongoing thread about a remastering process you can do with a downloaded version of cool edit. I have heard the results and they unmuddy the mix and practically eliminate the crackle.
Old 10-29-02, 01:45 AM

Anyway, I think that if you go from Farewell to Kings through Signals, that you do not find a single weak song on any of those albums, in my opinion. On Grace you have Red Lenses, which throws the balance off in my opinion.
I'd personally add Kid Gloves as a GUP weakness (those two are really the only Rush songs that I could say I dislike), but I think the other 6 songs are very strong (in an 80's, Geddy-has-a-mullet sort of way).

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are quite consistent -- a different sound from the other albums, but a sound I personally like. With Presto and Roll the Bones, songs become hit-or-miss for me (songs like Scars, Hand Over Fist, Neurotica just get tedious to listen to, and I can't forgive them for the Roll the Bones rap sequence). Counterparts is more consistent, but it doesn't really inspire me like other albums do. TFE returns to hit-or-miss (the aforementioned Dog Years and Virtuality are lyrically hard to swallow). And Vapor Trails I haven't given enough play to judge fairly with the others.

Last edited by milkshake; 10-29-02 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might want to check out the boards at www.rushchronicles.com, there is an ongoing thread about a remastering process you can do with a downloaded version of cool edit. I have heard the results and they unmuddy the mix and practically eliminate the crackle.
cool, thanks!
I'll give this a shot when I get home from work tonight
Old 10-29-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milksheikh
I'd personally add Kid Gloves as a GUP weakness (those two are really the only Rush songs that I could say I dislike), but I think the other 6 songs are very strong (in an 80's, Geddy-has-a-mullet sort of way).

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are quite consistent -- a different sound from the other albums, but a sound I personally like. With Presto and Roll the Bones, songs become hit-or-miss for me (songs like Scars, Hand Over Fist, Neurotica just get tedious to listen to, and I can't forgive them for the Roll the Bones rap sequence). Counterparts is more consistent, but it doesn't really inspire me like other albums do. TFE returns to hit-or-miss (the aforementioned Dog Years and Virtuality are lyrically hard to swallow). And Vapor Trails I haven't given enough play to judge fairly with the others.
I actually love Kid Gloves, probably my second favorite song off of GUP other than Afterimage. I never understood why so many people hate that song, I love the guitar on that track.

Like I said before, I love all Rush. It's just that I think Power Windows and HYF sound too clean, I don't know what it is. I really think it is the type of synth used on those albums and not the use of synth. I love Big Money, Grand Designs, and Marithon I just don't love them as much as other Rush songs. On HYF Prime Mover has to be one of my favorite songs of all time.

Honestly the only track on Presto that I usually listen too is the pass, that album just doesn't have any edge whatsoever. Roll the Bones is similar, but the songs are just better...yeah that Rap on Roll the Bones is pretty damned silly, but this is a band that wrote a song entitled "I Think I'm Going Bald"

Any Rush is good Rush though