Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Shakira sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shakira sucks!

I'm listening to some song of hers that sounds like a mix of salsa and gypsy music, and it positively stinks.
Old 12-12-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...no arguement here...
Old 12-12-01, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yup, she does indeed suck, she seems to have no control of her one voice.
Old 12-12-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

she has a big butt
Old 12-12-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by mljones99
she has a big butt

yes she does....

you say that like it's bad thing
Old 12-12-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever I see her on MTV I hit mute...as far as the big butt...all I have to say is that its my duty to please that booty...
Old 12-12-01, 10:12 PM

Was she created by the Pepsi Corporation? Those comercials are the only thing I have seen of her...does she have a career outside of that?
Old 12-12-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She has a big butt, but it's not like J. Lo's big butt which is atleast stareable. Her butt is just weird and makes her look even more lanky.
Old 12-12-01, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only person that actually likes her new song? It's very catchy.

BTW, I'd do her
Old 12-12-01, 11:37 PM

she does have quite a bit of junk in the trunk. her performance on SNL a couple of weeks back was pretty bad.
Old 12-12-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I HATE how she has been shoved down our throats by the media. Before most people had even heard her single, they saw her face in magazines, MTV, AOL welcome screen, SNL, etc. I think she's obviously employed by some wing of AOLTIMEWARNER, because they've promoted the hell out of her, just like they do with all their crap. I just can't stand the idea of the media thinking they can create a star that we all just have to love, simply because they tell us we should. People with no talent don't deserve this kind of publicity.
Old 12-13-01, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously though, what is the big deal with her? She doesn't have a special(or even good) voice, IMO. She sings about the same old crap. So why is she even here? Is it just because she's latin?
Old 12-13-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shakira has been around for years, but in her native Columbia. Her old music I really really like. It's basically rock with a South American feel. Her new album isn't bad, but it can't even begin to approach what she used to be doing. She writes all her own songs, she's a bit of a business mogul. The woman is very talented.

So before you decide that someone is a product of the Pepsi corporation, why not learn a few things about her first, huh?
Old 12-13-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree, she does suck, I dont like that song. I would rather listen to Britney Spears.
Old 12-13-01, 10:57 AM

At least she writes her own songs and can actually play an instrument, unlike you beloved Britney.
Old 12-13-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Slug
I agree, she does suck, I dont like that song. I would rather listen to Britney Spears.
God, bite your tongue! I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think that Shakira is not only talented, but not bad on the eyes. And her "booty" is no where NEAR in the same league as J Ho's. J's is SO big, it has it's own zip code. Sure, Shakira is not for everyone. And I certainly don't usually care for this type of music. But it's heads and shoulders above the likes of Britney and J Lo. Give me a break!
Old 12-13-01, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Penny Lane
At least she writes her own songs and can actually play an instrument, unlike you beloved Britney.
Absolutely. She has a voice akin to Alanis Morrisette and is a good songwriter. Unfortunately she only cowrote songs on the new album, and her handle on English isn't that strong, hence some really bad song lyrics.
Old 12-13-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Yancey

Absolutely. She has a voice akin to Alanis Morrisette and is a good songwriter. Unfortunately she only cowrote songs on the new album, and her handle on English isn't that strong, hence some really bad song lyrics.
Good comparison (Alanis). When MTV2 previewed Shakira's new album a few weeks ago in it's entirety (a few times in fact), I had never heard of her. Immediately I thought her vocals sounded like Alanis, the singer of the Cranberries, Kate Bush, even Dolly Parton. All mixed together. Her music style is all over the map. From pop to Eurodisco to classic rock to world music, alternative rock to disco. Not too many artists have attempted to do that. Certainly not that plastic puppet Britney.

Last edited by Daytripper; 12-13-01 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-13-01, 02:08 PM

I echo what someone mentioned before.... her two previous albums (plus one Unplugged CD) are great. Her newest one was incredibly disappointing.

Someone explain to me please, why record labels take an artist with a great musical sense and a steady gain of fans and a unique sound and try to make that act sound like everyone else?

Michelle
Old 12-13-01, 04:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gonna have to disagree with the majority here. personally, i LOVE shakira and her music. granted, i liked her way before she was even heard of here in the USA and i dont particularly like her english versions and music. personally, i think she has a fantastic voice and is extremely talented. and as far as the big butt thing goes... geez, what in the hell does that have to do with whether or not she has any talent???? and thumbs up to those guys who think having a butt is avtually okay versus those who prefer the calista flockhart/kate moss/12 yr old prepuberty type.
Old 12-13-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by krkuhl
gonna have to disagree with the majority here. personally, i LOVE shakira and her music. granted, i liked her way before she was even heard of here in the USA and i dont particularly like her english versions and music. personally, i think she has a fantastic voice and is extremely talented. and as far as the big butt thing goes... geez, what in the hell does that have to do with whether or not she has any talent???? and thumbs up to those guys who think having a butt is avtually okay versus those who prefer the calista flockhart/kate moss/12 yr old prepuberty type.
Just to clarify, I've only heard her english songs. Most people in here seem to think that her Colombian(?) stuff is better, and I'll go along with that. But what's been done to her music once she got to the states is not my cup of tea.
Old 12-13-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Slug
Your opinion sucks!

You can have her! I'll take Shakira.
Old 12-14-01, 09:55 AM
Banned

Well last night I was channel-surfing and come across this music video that happened to be by Shakira. Haven't heard or seen anything about her in quite some time, so this was a nice surprise. Funny thing is, she's singing in English. I take it she's finally made an English-language album and is now trying to cross over to the American market. Only thing is the song wasn't worth a pile of dead rats at a motherf**kin tampon factory. Here is a young, TALENTED singer and songwriter who's made numerous very good Spanish-language albums and has had a strong ardent following in her native Columbia for several years. Now she flies overseas and has been re-packaged and re-imagined by a bunch of clueless neanderthal studio suits and corporate a**-puppets and now she looks like yet another motherf**kin Britney Spears clone. Truly, truly sad. I only wish that americans who see her in this ridiculous incarnation don't write her off as some no-talent c**t and reserve judgemnt unless they hear some of her spanish work. The music business in this country is absolutely worthless. Sorry but I had to vent.
Old 12-14-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Spellman.

I have listened to Shakira for years, in particular I enjoyed her "Donde Estan Los Ladrones?" recording.

Go to www.towerrecords.com , do a search on Shakira, and click on Donde Estan Los Ladrones. They let you listen to 30 second clips of some songs, listen to "Inevitbale" and "Ciega Sordomuda".

I had not heard her English work until I listened to the clips at towerrecords, and I agree, her english work is not good.

And what is the deal with her hair? With it bleached blond, she looks like a cheap whore. She looked great with her natural black hair, why change it? (unless the powers that be want her to be compared to Aguilara).

It is sad to see how she is now, I hope she goes back to her roots.

By the way, if you are looking for some good Spanish language rock, listen to "Jarabe de Palo" (good rock, reminds me of 70s style). For another band, a little more "pop", listen to "La Oreja de Van Gogh".
Old 12-14-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Shakira has been a tad forced latlely, but her cd is always sold out at Target and Best Buy....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.