Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Foo Fighters

Old 10-03-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Foo Fighters

I've been hearing the new single on the radio and it rocks. I like it a lot. This is one of my most anticipated albums in a long time. The new album "One by One" will be released on Oct. 15th.
Old 10-03-02, 05:51 PM
Banned

Foo Fighters = Too Much Yelling = Is Suck
Old 10-03-02, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by lesterlong
Foo Fighters = Too Much Yelling = Is Suck
Which Foo Fighters are you listening to? Dave Grohl doesn't yell much at all.
BTW way to thread crap.
Old 10-03-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your in Los angeles, or the greater los angeles area. you might be interested in this:

It's a special concert to mark the release of their "One By One" CD, also in-stores Oct. 22. These tickets WILL NOT go on sale to the public, so if you want to go...
Here are the details:
• Friday, October 4 at 10am, log onto: Foo Fighters On-Sale
• If the above link does not open a Ticketmaster screen on your computer, log on to http://www.ticketmaster.com
• Search Foo Fighters under Events
• Scroll down to 10/22 The Wiltern

• In the Presale Password box enter: FOOSROQ
• There is a 2-ticket limit per person.
• Tickets are $10.67. Service charges and ticketmaster.com fees are extra.
• You will need a major credit card.
• As with all internet ticket sales, there may be an initial surge on the system. Just hit the Back button and try again. It may take several attempts.
• 1,067 tickets will be available for this special sale. The pre-sale will run until 12 noon Friday, or until we've reached our 1,067 ticket limit.
• There will not be a public on-sale for this show. If you can't get tickets during this special sale, watch your email for a last chance offer on October 18th.
Old 10-03-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've listened to ONE BY ONE a couple of times and it's good but basically the same Foo we've been hearing = solid rock music.

There's not much screaming if any that I can remember, in fact they slow it down a few times and have a 7 minute closing track that's pretty cool.

They've really turned into one of my favorite bands.
Old 10-03-02, 10:09 PM

I love the Foos.
One of the very few current bands I like.
Old 10-04-02, 05:51 AM

Looking forward to it.

One of the few bands I really like that I've yet to see live. Hopefully I will this time around.
Old 10-04-02, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too much yelling? That's bizarre.
Old 10-05-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I gave the disc a quick once over...it sounds good to me. I'll listen to it more on my way to LA. [Wish i'd noticed this thread earlier...I would've tried to get tickets dang it]

I know i'm sure i'll hear it from Nirvana fans, but I think Dave was the true genius behind the band...
Old 10-06-02, 02:45 AM

Everlong is my favorite song ever..........

I hope to hear it live one day
Old 10-06-02, 04:40 AM

I can't wait for this one...I heard a few songs from it and will definitely be first in line when its around. I heard a webcast of an acoustic show--it was really different but excellent. Does anyone know what will be on the DVD that accompanies the cd?
Old 10-06-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From amazon:
Bonus DVD features the audio track "The One," videos of "All My Life" and the previously unreleased "Walking A Line". It also includes behind the scenes footage, a photo gallery, buddy icons, screen savers & weblinks.

I've heard the new cd several times and it's really good. I'll def. be picking it up in the first week it's out.
Old 10-06-02, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
I gave the disc a quick once over...it sounds good to me. I'll listen to it more on my way to LA. [Wish i'd noticed this thread earlier...I would've tried to get tickets dang it]

I know i'm sure i'll hear it from Nirvana fans, but I think Dave was the true genius behind the band...
But he didn't even write any of the songs.

Foo Fighters and Nirvana = Apples and oranges
Old 10-06-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You're right.

Just like the Time & Vanity 6 [Prince associated artists] wrote their own songs...

Whatever the case may be. IMO Dave is more talented than Kurt. Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-02, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
You're right.

Just like the Time & Vanity 6 [Prince associated artists] wrote their own songs...

Whatever the case may be. IMO Dave is more talented than Kurt. Just my opinion.

I don't understand the Time and Vanity 6 thing... all I know is that Dave Grohl wasn't even an original member of Nirvana, and he isn't credited as having written any of the songs. Nirvana and the Foo Fighters really don't even sound very similar. I don't see how he could be the genius behind a band that he didn't write any songs for.

Bleach, which DG had no part of, and the other Nirvana albums which DG was a part of sound very similar, which leads me to believe that DG was at the very least least not a major songwriter there, if he wrote any Nirvana songs at all.

If you want to say that Dave Grohl is a better songwriter than Cobain, you can argue that. If you want to say that Grohl was more important to Nirvana or was the main brains behind Nirvana, I don't think that even he would say or think that.

You can't just say something like "Dave Grohl is the true genius behind Nirvana"without even the least bit of a reason. What leads you to believe this?
Old 10-06-02, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Applejack
all I know is that Dave Grohl wasn't even an original member of Nirvana, and he isn't credited as having written any of the songs.
Your right except Scentless Apprentice was written by Grohl but the whole band gets credit for writing the music.

Bleach, which DG had no part of, and the other Nirvana albums which DG was a part of sound very similar, which leads me to believe that DG was at the very least least not a major songwriter there, if he wrote any Nirvana songs at all.
I think each Nirvana album has a unique sound. I don't think they sound very similar.
I do agree with you that Dave Grohl was probably not a big part of the song writting.
Old 10-06-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, you said...
But he didn't even write any of the songs.
To which I responded with an example of the creator of a song not taking credit for it or giving it away. Prince's musical output was so extreme that he formed these two bands as a way to put out more music & still abide by Warner Brothers strict album/tour/time off way of doing business. As time went on, it was discovered that he wrote, produced, and played the instruments on the majority of tracks. [with the exception of the Time's last album] Not that i'm saying that's the situation with Nirvana, just that AFAIC even though it's on paper, doesn't mean it's true.

As far as...
You can't just say something like "Dave Grohl is the true genius behind Nirvana"without even the least bit of a reason. What leads you to believe this?
The only thing I could say is that it's my personal opinion and i'm basing it on Dave's Foo albums against the Nirvana stuff. I feel Kurt was terribly overrated & Dave continues to showcase his talent. [Of course, Kurt killed himself so we'll never know what was to follow]

My opinions are my own and as I originally said
Old 10-06-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dave Grohl is clearly a superior musician--an excellent drummer, and a decent guitarist. At best, Cobain was an average guitar player.

However, Cobain was a better songwriter by far.

Take Grohl out of Nirvana, and very little changes. For as talented as he was (and is), he had minimal involvement in the songwriting process. Drummers were expendable to Cobain--in addition to Grohl and Channing, he worked with several other drummers in his short musical career. Grohl just happened to be behind the kit during their time in the spotlight.

Nirvana made Grohl, not the other way around.
Old 10-06-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

OK. Is this better...?
I know i'm sure i'll hear it from Nirvana fans, but I think Dave was the true genius IN the band...
Old 10-07-02, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
anyone take up the ticket offer for the small show I posted info about?
Old 10-07-02, 12:19 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
anyone take up the ticket offer for the small show I posted info about?
Yeah I was able, to my surprise, score 1 GA Floor ticket. That sucker sold out in under 5 minutes if I recall correctly.
Old 10-07-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sheesh - WTF is people's beef with Nirvana? You mention the band and everyone leaps on the thread like piranha, proclaiming "they weren't all that" like a cry to battle. What is the continuing fascination with trying to obliterate the legacy of the group? Is this just bitter resentment? Why all the ire and rancor thrown in the direction of Cobain?

Like it or not, they have an established position in the so-called "rock-n-roll cannon." All these snarky little post-humous snipes just read like so much sour grapes.
Old 10-07-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Say what? One person said he didn't think much of Cobain, that's about it for the "rancor" directed at Nirvana.
Old 10-07-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

One person is to many steve! I demand justice!!!

why even bring up nirvana, this is a foo fighters thread. I can see the connection, but then again, it's a different band altogether with a different sound
Old 10-07-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Shush or i'm going to vandalize the Haunted Mansion when I get to Cali next week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.