Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Foo Fighters

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by grunter
Sheesh - WTF is people's beef with Nirvana? You mention the band and everyone leaps on the thread like piranha, proclaiming "they weren't all that" like a cry to battle. What is the continuing fascination with trying to obliterate the legacy of the group? Is this just bitter resentment? Why all the ire and rancor thrown in the direction of Cobain?

Like it or not, they have an established position in the so-called "rock-n-roll cannon." All these snarky little post-humous snipes just read like so much sour grapes.
I don't think the Nirvana/Cobain bashing has been nearly that bad in this thread, but I hear what you're saying.

I was on a Star Wars bulletin board several weeks ago, of all places, in a miscellaneous section, and a thread went from "Jimi Hendrix ruled" to "Nirvana/Cobain sucked" in a matter of six or seven replies. The original poster didn't even mention Nirvana or Cobain in the initial post.

Some people are probably just so sick of Nirvana-this and Kurt Cobain-that, for the last eleven years (and especially in the past few months, with all of the Courtney/Dave/Chris fighting), that they're lashing out against them.

They're not even close to being one of my favorite bands, but anybody who won't at least acknowledge how important they were to rock music is either an idiot or a troll.
Old 10-07-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nirvana might have gotten us out of the hair band days and into grunge and have imspired lots of todays bands, but i dont think they were the greatest or one of the greatest bands of all time as many critics think.
Old 10-07-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
so those who inspire works of art are not good?
Old 10-20-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bumping thread to post this is on sale at KMART this week!

Originally posted by Zodo From amazon: Bonus DVD features the audio track "The One," videos of "All My Life" and the previously unreleased "Walking A Line". It also includes behind the scenes footage, a photo gallery, buddy icons, screen savers & weblinks.
Old 10-21-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the best material I've heard from Foo is their acoustic sets. I have a sweet cdr I snagged from ebay with over 20 acoustical tracks all with solid auido recording. For those who want more Foo, check out this link. It is a live acoustic set from a radio station "garage."

Acoustic
Old 10-21-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I think much of the animosity towards Cobain has more to do with his suicide than his music. Many people (myself included) view him as a coward who left his wife and young daughter without a husband and a father. That's selfish and it is hard to get past that when it comes to his music.
Old 10-21-02, 10:17 AM

I just saw Foo Fighters Saturday night at the Metro in Chicago. They were doing a pre-tour "secret concert" and it was fantastic. They just plowed through all the hits and several new songs. They played about 75 minutes and then came back for a fifteen minute encore, which included a fantastic cover of "Next To You" by The Police. Taylor sang it and Dave just ripped it up on guitar. It was a really great show. I will definitely be buying this disc.

Thanks for the KMart ad. You can't beat that price.
Old 10-21-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Kmart is one of the ones that closed down; guess I'll be going to Circuit City on Tuesday.
Old 10-21-02, 12:34 PM
Suspended

Anyone else going to the "secret show" tommorow in L.A.?
I Got a Floor ticket and cant wait
Old 10-21-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i got the new cd a few days ago... it is terrific... I really really dig it... hard rocking and probably one of their best albums. Unfortunately, today while i was in class, they announced at Toronto show, tix went on sale immediately and of course, by the time i got out of class, heard about the show, it was LONG sold out... I wish I was seeing them though, cause this album is great.

The bonus DVD is ok. It has All My Life video (5.1 mix !!!!) and Walking the Line (unreleased track, video, with 5.1) and it has The ONe in 5.1 (audio only, no video)... also a few short vids of the guys hanging out etc. and a pretty decent photo gallery.... not the richest disc, but for free it's great, especially having these three tracks in 5.1surround... Walking the Line kicks ass!!!

MATT
Old 10-23-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mdc3000
i got the new cd a few days ago... it is terrific... I really really dig it... hard rocking and probably one of their best albums. Unfortunately, today while i was in class, they announced at Toronto show, tix went on sale immediately and of course, by the time i got out of class, heard about the show, it was LONG sold out... I wish I was seeing them though, cause this album is great.

The bonus DVD is ok. It has All My Life video (5.1 mix !!!!) and Walking the Line (unreleased track, video, with 5.1) and it has The ONe in 5.1 (audio only, no video)... also a few short vids of the guys hanging out etc. and a pretty decent photo gallery.... not the richest disc, but for free it's great, especially having these three tracks in 5.1surround... Walking the Line kicks ass!!!

MATT
Great album, but it REALLY SUCKS that they couldn't or wouldn't put the video to "The One". Bonus DVD, my ass.
Old 10-23-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dolphinboy
Great album, but it REALLY SUCKS that they couldn't or wouldn't put the video to "The One". Bonus DVD, my ass.
I think this was a rights issue...since that video was done for the movie "Orange County" which paramount owns...i think that's why it's not on the disc... man, this album is so good I can't believe it... my fave tracks so far are Tired of You and Come Back. Both of those songs rank high among the Foo catalogue for me... absolutely amazing tracks...

MATT
Old 10-23-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
I think this was a rights issue...since that video was done for the movie "Orange County" which paramount owns...
Paramount didn't put it on the Orange County DVD, though. The Offspring also did a video for their contribution to the soundtrack, I believe, and that too wasn't on the Orange County DVD. Hmmm.
Old 10-24-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
This is their best album since the FIRST FOO album...F'n amazing!!!
Old 10-30-02, 07:51 PM

Does anyone know how to access the DVD Rom features? It says to double click on the FooFightes.exe icon, but I can't find where the Foofighters.exe icon is.
Old 10-31-02, 01:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Completely unrelated but from foofighters.com:
October 24, 2002 - USA Secret Site!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We just wanted to remind all of you USA Foo fans who were feeling neglected that there is a Foo Fighters Secret Site for you to access! If you own ONE BY ONE you can go to www.foofightersbonus.com and place your CD into your PC's CD-ROM and unlock bonus material.

The band recently recorded a batch of their favorite songs by some influential rock artists. Every Tuesday, for the next 4 weeks, beginning 10/22, the Foos will be releasing one cover tune a week only available on this site. So head on over to www.foofightersbonus.com and get the exclusive content!
Old 10-31-02, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cdollaz
I think much of the animosity towards Cobain has more to do with his suicide than his music. Many people (myself included) view him as a coward who left his wife and young daughter without a husband and a father. That's selfish and it is hard to get past that when it comes to his music.
Dude was on HEROIN. Family values go right out the window when it comes to horse. Do you have even the faintest idea how hard it is to kick? I think it's a bit harsh to focus your blame on Kurdt's 'abandonment' of his family. Frankly I think of him as a very tragic figure that deserves sympathy, not distain. It was the heroin that made him what he was at the end of his life. Then again I've known plenty of people who were taken by heroin so I may be biased.
Old 10-31-02, 03:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Drugs are bad, m'kay?!

A former workmate of mine said that heroin is glamourised on tv and film and that coming off the drug is more like having the flu i.e. it is unpleasant but do-able physically if you are willing mentally.

Although, at a pinch, one might just have a modicum of sympathy for someone who became addicted to nicotine or alcohol I am not quite sure what we are supposed to think about people who experiment with the so-called hard-stuff.

However, this is all probably best a discusion more suited to Other. And isnt this a Foo Fighters thread rather than one on the band hidden somewhere inside this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=245907
Old 10-31-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Surf Monkey
Kurdt
LOL.
Old 11-01-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chili Palmer
Some of the best material I've heard from Foo is their acoustic sets. I have a sweet cdr I snagged from ebay with over 20 acoustical tracks all with solid auido recording. For those who want more Foo, check out this link. It is a live acoustic set from a radio station "garage."

Acoustic

THANK YOU for this link! Amazing show!
Old 11-02-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Surf Monkey
Dude was on HEROIN. Family values go right out the window when it comes to horse. Do you have even the faintest idea how hard it is to kick? I think it's a bit harsh to focus your blame on Kurdt's 'abandonment' of his family. Frankly I think of him as a very tragic figure that deserves sympathy, not distain. It was the heroin that made him what he was at the end of his life. Then again I've known plenty of people who were taken by heroin so I may be biased.
Dude was profoundly manic-depressive too, from what I understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Apart from the heroin use, which grew out of his self-destructive depressed swings (IMO), he was battling cycles of depression that makes the garden variety, everyday forms of depression look like nothing.
Old 11-17-02, 09:51 AM

Is the song "Walking the Line" that is on the DVD available on CD anywhere?
Old 06-25-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Billboard[.com] Bits: Foo Fighters

The video clip for the Foo Fighters track "Low," which was rejected by MTV and MTV2, according to a statement, will be offered to fans through a limited edition DVD EP, due July 1 from RCA. The EP will feature the "Low" video (directed by Jesse Peretz) as well as three different clips for the track "Times Like These" and assorted bonus material.

The "Times Like These" videos included are the U.S. version (directed by Marc Klasfeld), the U.K. version (directed by Liam Lynch) and an acoustic performance directed by Bill Yukich. Actor Jack Black joins Foo frontman Dave Grohl in the "Low" video.
Old 06-25-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
holy thread resurrection Batman!

question:

why was "Low" rejected..? too much music? not enough video hoes? they didn't have a guest rap appearance by the best rapper in the world 50 Cent?

enquiring minds want to know..

but, hey...if that's what it takes to get an EP video collection, let's hope other artists follow suit..
Old 06-25-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
holy thread resurrection Batman!

question:
why was "Low" rejected..? too much music? not enough video hoes? they didn't have a guest rap appearance by the best rapper in the world 50 Cent?

it has to do w/ JACK BLACK

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.