Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

a few guns and roses questions and a poll.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: will you buy the chinese demorcracy cd when it comes out?
hell yes, they are still going strong and kicking ass
25.53%
hell no, g&r isnt the same with out the other band members
27.66%
i"ll wait until reviews come out to think about it
17.02%
this album will never come out
23.40%
other
6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

a few guns and roses questions and a poll.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been and still am a huge fan of the whole 80's Hair Metal era... I think that type of rock was the best ever, and a million times better than those so called grunge and alternative 90s bands that stood in one place and mumbled at the floor about how depressed they were while playing two cords wearing a gas station attendant shirt.

GnR's first album was very good, but I don't get all the attention they get. Axl hasn't done anything in over 10 years and comes back with a completely different band and calls it GnR?? I don't think so.

If you want to listen to some good new hard rock music, get the new LA Guns CD, the new Poison CD or the new Dokken CD. It isn't right that classic "hair" bands like Warrant, LA Guns, Tesla, Firehouse, Quiet Riot, and on and on, have been putting out great new rocking CDs with awesome new songs and still have been touring all over and for the most part their original members all during the 90s and 00's and don't get any airplay or notice... and Axl Rose has been hiding away for 10 years and can't get along with any of his band members and he gets to play on MTV. Go Figure.
Old 09-03-02, 01:22 AM
Banned

This thread is making me sick. Get your facts straight, people:

Izzy Stradlin was the guy who wrote their best songs. He was the one person who gave this band that classic Rolling Stones-y Rock n' Roll sound. Every true die-hard GN'R fan knows this.

They will never be Guns n' Roses without Izzy Stradlin. This new incarnation is just a pathetic cover band.

Last edited by Bass God; 09-03-02 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-03-02, 04:25 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by turborobb
If you want to listen to some good new hard rock music, get the new LA Guns CD, the new Poison CD or the new Dokken CD. It isn't right that classic "hair" bands like Warrant, LA Guns, Tesla, Firehouse, Quiet Riot, and on and on, have been putting out great new rocking CDs with awesome new songs and still have been touring all over and for the most part their original members all during the 90s and 00's and don't get any airplay or notice... and Axl Rose has been hiding away for 10 years and can't get along with any of his band members and he gets to play on MTV. Go Figure.
Well you seem to think that these bands that you listed were in the same league as Guns N' Roses. Tesla was a very good underated band, but Warrant?? Firehouse?? come on! None of those bands were even close to the popularity of GNR.
AXL Rose and GNR managed to propel themselves to The Rolling Stones kind of popularity in those few years. It only makes sense that people are curious to see if AXL can pull it off again.
Old 09-03-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What was the middle song they played at the VMAs...I can't think of it for the life of me.

they played welcome to the jungle- ????? -Paradise City
Old 09-03-02, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bass God
This thread is making me sick. Get your facts straight, people:

Izzy Stradlin was the guy who wrote their best songs. He was the one person who gave this band that classic Rolling Stones-y Rock n' Roll sound. Every true die-hard GN'R fan knows this.

They will never be Guns n' Roses without Izzy Stradlin. This new incarnation is just a pathetic cover band.
This is correct, and what I've been saying all along.

What's Izzy done, since he left in 1991--two, or three albums?
He's put out almost as much music alone in those eleven years than GN'R has put out, total. I've only got the first one ("Ju Ju Hounds"), and while its no Appetite, it's a good, solid, rock-n-roll record. I think I remember hearing that his other album(s) is (are) pretty decent, too.

Meanwhile, the only "original" "GN'R" song released was the mediocre "Oh My God" from the End of Days soundtrack. Everything else has been cover songs.

Everybody knows about Axl and Slash, but the real fans know how important Izzy was. I'd like to see the actual credits for the songwriting on Appetite--everything that I've ever seen officially lists the whole band as the songwriters, but I'd bet Izzy had a big hand in pretty much everything (Steven probably wrote nothing, Duff and Slash might have written a few, and Axl might have written a few more).
Old 09-03-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well you seem to think that these bands that you listed were in the same league as Guns N' Roses.
no, my point was I think those bands I listed are not in the same league as GnR, because they are much better.

Tesla was a very good underated band, but Warrant?? Firehouse?? come on! None of those bands were even close to the popularity of GNR.
you are right... Warrant and Firehouse didn't have the "popularity" of GnR (even tho they both had Billboard #1 songs and Multi-Platnuim records) but that was the whole point of my post, I don't understand why some very average hair band that doesn't have any of it's original members and hasn't done a thing in over 10 years should get all this attention when bands like Warrant, LA Guns and Firehouse have been touring and putting out new albums all during the last 12 years and get no attention.

But I guess in your mind "popularity" is more important than actually having talent, touring with most their original members and putting out new records. By that logic Nsync is the greatest music group ever.
Old 09-03-02, 05:49 PM

no, my point was I think those bands I listed are not in the same league as GnR, because they are much better.
Because who is much better--Trixter, or Guns N' Roses? You're a bit ambiguous here.

you are right... Warrant and Firehouse didn't have the "popularity" of GnR (even tho they both had Billboard #1 songs and Multi-Platnuim records) but that was the whole point of my post, I don't understand why some very average hair band that doesn't have any of it's original members and hasn't done a thing in over 10 years should get all this attention when bands like Warrant, LA Guns and Firehouse have been touring and putting out new albums all during the last 12 years and get no attention.
You might lump all of these bands together as "hair bands", but there was always something a little different about Gn'R, that made them more than just a hair band to a lot of people. Gn'R had balls, for one thing.

And the reason that they're getting the attention now is because they haven't done anything for ten years. People are curious to see what the "new" Guns N' Roses is going to sound like, going to look like. They wonder what Axl has been doing in his basement for the last eight years.

And some of it has to do with the fact that Guns N' Roses killed themselves, while Nirvana killed all of the other chick bands.

But I guess in your mind "popularity" is more important than actually having talent
Weren't you just telling us about the "Billboard #1 songs and Multi-Platnuim (sic) records" that Winger and Steelheart had?
Old 09-03-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because who is much better--Trixter, or Guns N' Roses? You're a bit ambiguous here.
Sorry, I meant the other hair bands are much better than GnR. Trixter?? I haven't thought about them in a while, LOL your examples are a little extreme, they pretty much sucked and haven't done anything for over 10 years! (hey, kind of like GnR)

You might lump all of these bands together as "hair bands", but there was always something a little different about Gn'R, that made them more than just a hair band to a lot of people. Gn'R had balls, for one thing.
Ok, I'm tired of bands and fans of those bands saying "We were more than just another hair band" Be It GnR, Def Leppard, Tesla, LA Guns, Great White or whoever... come down to reality.. they were Hair Bands!! I wonder when grunge becomes un-cool if Pearl Jam and STP will start saying "we shouldn't be lumped in with all those other grunge bands, we were different"... give me a break, GnR came from the same Sunset Strip scene that Warrant, Ratt and all the others came from. Deal with it, they are a hair band... Tracii Guns (the original GnR guitarist) formed LA Guns, Gilby Clark has been in all types of hair metal LA bands, come on, GnR is the ultimate hair glam metal band.
Old 09-03-02, 06:53 PM

When someone thinks that Firehouse was a better band than Guns N' Roses, their opinion immediately and automatically becomes null and void.
Old 09-03-02, 08:33 PM
Suspended

But I guess in your mind "popularity" is more important than actually having talent, touring with most their original members and putting out new records. By that logic Nsync is the greatest music group ever.
You asked a fricking question buddy and I answered it alright. You asked why GNR after 10 years gets more attention than those other lame bands you mentioned. It was because they were 10000X more popular at the time. Dont put words into my mouth. When someone says that Warrant of Firehouse is a better band than GNR they loose absolute credibility imo.

It was bands like Warrant, Winger, Enuff Z Nuff, Nelson, Trixter, Firehouse, etc etc etc that killed off the Metal scene in the late 80's early 90's. So thank your legends for that why dont you.

Last edited by MJKTool; 09-03-02 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 08:59 PM

So, is my question above being ignored like usual, or does no one know?
Old 09-03-02, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
So, is my question above being ignored like usual, or does no one know?
I believe it was one of their new songs. Im not sure the name of it tho.
Old 09-03-02, 10:06 PM

"Madagascar".
Old 09-03-02, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Virex
"Madagascar".
THAT'S IT! I couldn't remember for the life of me. I DLed that one a while ago...

Gratzi!
Old 09-04-02, 03:09 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Weren't you just telling us about the "Billboard #1 songs and Multi-Platnuim (sic) records" that Winger and Steelheart had?
Old 09-04-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Hair bands" didn't kill metal. Each band pretty much killed themselves. No bands were doing anything new, it was the same old *****. It was time for a change.

IMO the albums GNR put out after Use Your Illusions were pretty much garbage. Apettite For Destruction will forever be one of the best metal albums.

That's why Nirvana and "alternative" got so big. It was different and new.
Old 09-04-02, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Mazinger
IMO the albums GNR put out after Use Your Illusions were pretty much garbage. Apettite For Destruction will forever be one of the best metal albums.
Agreed, since uh, the only thing they put out after that was a lame album of covers...It's not like they followed up on Illusions with some kind of crap that flopped...Things began to fall apart thereafter.

But how really do you follow up Use Your Illusions? I mean really, they were set up for the fall.

All being said though, I heard a 'version' of Chinese Democracy last year, and it was actually good, and would have been a worthy followup to Illusions, and solidified G'N'R as one of the best ever, but it's just taken too long.

So I guess the question comes down to this - Is Axl ready to be the messiah of rock, saving us from the same old crap that all sounds the same on the radio and bringing back some balls to music, or can he accept the fact that he let it pass and blew it all, watching his dream of the return to glory flop in his face?
Old 09-04-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Madagascar".
"Constantinople"
Old 09-04-02, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by einTier
"Constantinople"
"Istanbul".
Old 09-05-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
"Istanbul".
"That's nobodies business but the Turks."
Old 09-05-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I have been and still am a huge fan of the whole 80's Hair Metal era... I think that type of rock was the best ever, and a million times better than those so called grunge and alternative 90s bands that stood in one place and mumbled at the floor about how depressed they were while playing two cords wearing a gas station attendant shirt.

GnR's first album was very good, but I don't get all the attention they get. Axl hasn't done anything in over 10 years and comes back with a completely different band and calls it GnR?? I don't think so.

I think I see your point. A lot of bands are out there working their asses off and receive nothing but derision because of the way they dressed 15 years ago, while "Guns and Roses" gets to close the MTV VMA's based on the reputation of a single album, also 15 years old.
Old 09-05-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not what I was referring to, but I'll continue the hijack with my favorite line...

"So if you've got a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul."
Old 09-05-02, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
"That's nobodies business but the Turks."
Damn, someone beat me to it...
Old 09-05-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe this has already been answered, but why was Axl at the MTV awards?

Who's idea was this?
Old 09-05-02, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mazinger
Maybe this has already been answered, but why was Axl at the MTV awards?
To play some songs. Duh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.