Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone dislike Led Zeppelin

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It occurred to me yesterday that I've never met anyone that dislikes Led Zeppelin. Some may not be as enamored with them as others, but overall everyone seems to enjoy their music. Is there anyone here that absolutely despises Zeppelin or just doesn't like their music in general?
Old 08-26-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't dispise them, but I don't like them and don't own anything by them. I do however, enjoy Dread Zeppelin.
Old 08-26-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they're one of the few bands (like The Beatles) where most people at least have one or two songs they really like. I'm not a big fan but I've always liked "Ten Years Gone" and "Kashmir."
Old 08-26-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think if people associate certian songs with them that they may not like, then they would never give them the chance and therefore not like them. Zeppelin has songs for everyone IMO.
Old 08-26-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Like Rain Song, nothing else.
Old 08-26-02, 12:06 PM
Banned

I'm sure there are some who simply don't care for them, but anyone who "dislikes" them, or The Beatles for that matter, can eat it.
Old 08-26-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't love Led Zeppelin and do think they're a bit overrated. That said, they do have some very good songs. I despise just as much of their stuff though.

Generally, for me...

Robert Plant singing = good.
Robert Plant screaming and howling = as irritating as finger nails on a chalkboard.
Old 08-26-02, 01:10 PM

I have never enjoyed the sound of Robert Plant's voice, so I do not like Led Zeppelin.
Old 08-26-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
They're a really good band, but they also represent everything that's wrong with rock radio.

Barely an hour goes by that at least one rock station around here doesn't "get the Led out" (whatever that means). It's bad enough that they only play the same handful of tracks over and over again (Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love), but radio programmers must all think that their last album was Physical Grafitti. I was really surprised how good the tracks off of Presence and In Through the Out Door were when I first bought the Led Zeppelin box set.
Old 08-26-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was a time years ago that I would not have wanted to hear anything by them. Mainly because I was sick of classic rock radio fare. Today, oh my, please give me them over what is going on with rock today. Even though I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to "Stairway to Heaven" with any enjoyment at all, I really like some of their more upbeat songs.
Old 08-26-02, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Jason
They're a really good band, but they also represent everything that's wrong with rock radio.

Barely an hour goes by that at least one rock station around here doesn't "get the Led out" (whatever that means). It's bad enough that they only play the same handful of tracks over and over again (Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love), but radio programmers must all think that their last album was Physical Grafitti. I was really surprised how good the tracks off of Presence and In Through the Out Door were when I first bought the Led Zeppelin box set.
EXACTLY!

I own all the Led Zeppelin albums except for Coda and recently I've been listening to Presence and In Through the Out Door instead of the much more played 1-4, HotH, and PG. There are some really great songs on these two infrequently played albums.

I was driving with one of my friends when Hots On For Nowhere came on and he asked me who was playing. I said Led Zeppelin and he said he'd never heard the song before.
Old 08-26-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SiberianLlama
I own all the Led Zeppelin albums except for Coda and recently I've been listening to Presence and In Through the Out Door instead of the much more played 1-4, HotH, and PG. There are some really great songs on these two infrequently played albums.
"Carouselambra" and "Achilles Last Stand" are among my favourite Zep tracks. Certainly their last two studio albums were over-looked and under-appreciated.

-matt
Old 08-26-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zep's got a few decent tunes. I think I would've gotten into them more if it weren't for Robert Plant. Hate his singing. Having said that, "When the Levee Breaks" is one of the coolest songs ever...
Old 08-26-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raithen
"Carouselambra" and "Achilles Last Stand" are among my favourite Zep tracks. Certainly their last two studio albums were over-looked and under-appreciated.
Not by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The intro to "Under the Bridge" bears more than a slight resemblance to "Achilles Last Stand" (actually from their 3rd to last studio album). In my area, at least, "All My Love" and "Fool in the Rain" from In Through The Out Door get quite a bit of radio play.
Old 08-26-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Andalusia
Zep's got a few decent tunes. I think I would've gotten into them more if it weren't for Robert Plant. Hate his singing. Having said that, "When the Levee Breaks" is one of the coolest songs ever...
Man I could listen to that song all day. I have both Zeppelin box sets, and can safely say there are at most 5 songs that I don't like of theres. Everything else has something good about it, and many of them are mind-blowingly incredible.

Mordred
Old 08-26-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm a huge Zeppelin fan but I enjoy all their music that I've heard a lot. I haven't listened to a bunch of their stuff but the songs that I have heard are amazing. I could listen to those songs all day
Old 08-26-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never cared for Led Zepplin. I went more in the power pop direction; Cheap Trick, The Raspberries, ect.
Old 08-26-02, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by mike1978
I have never enjoyed the sound of Robert Plant's voice, so I do not like Led Zeppelin.
Old 08-27-02, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mike1978
Your loss.
Old 08-27-02, 12:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Andalusia
Zep's got a few decent tunes.
The biggest understatement I've heard all week. Maybe all month.
Old 08-27-02, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bass God

The biggest understatement I've heard all week. Maybe all month.
Okay, let me restate that. A few decent tunes in my opinon. I know there's a lot of Zep lovers out there, and I respect that. Hell, they have a great guitar player in Page, and a monstrous rhythm section in Jones and Bonham. But Plant? No dice. The guy screeches like my sister for crying out loud.
Old 08-27-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
YES!!!
Old 08-27-02, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going to go see Zep after "In Through the Out Door" was released. Drummer takes dirt nap. Tour goes south. Oh well.
The cool thing about that recording is that you have a song like "Hot Dog" (which I really dig) thrown in with completey different sounding songs.
Old 08-27-02, 10:18 AM

I don't care for them at all. Obviously they have b-sides I really dig, but for the most part......nah.
Old 08-27-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never have liked them...Own nothing, never will, can't stand...Once had a bunch of drunk classic rock dudes attempt to kick the sh*t out of me at a party once because I let my contempt for them be known...Though Coda I thought I had some interesting tunes...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.