Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone dislike Led Zeppelin

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Does anyone dislike Led Zeppelin

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keith Moon apparently wasn't terribly impressed with them, at least not at the outset, considering he predicted that they "would drop like a led zeppelin".
Old 08-27-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Should I even bother posting in this thread?
Old 08-28-02, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
Should I even bother posting in this thread?
Yes, you can tell me some cool zeppelin tracks to download. I own none of their music and have probably heard only a couple of their songs. Get to posting, please
Old 08-28-02, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
Yes, you can tell me some cool zeppelin tracks to download. I own none of their music and have probably heard only a couple of their songs. Get to posting, please
Alrighty then!

Here's what's on my personal "best of zepp mix" cd...

Ten Years Gone
The Rain Song
Kashmir
How Many More Times
All My Love
Hey Hey What Can I Do?
Since I've been lovin you
Houses of the Holy
Out on the Tiles
That's the Way
Stairway To Heaven
Rock N Roll
Achilles Last Stand
Black Dog
Over the Hills...
Livin' Lovin Maid
Your time is gonna come
Good times Bad times
The song remains the same
Travelling Riverside Blues

there's like 3 other songs right now that are escaping me, but that's a good start...
Old 08-28-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"When the Levee Breaks" is an essential part of any nutritious Zep breakfast.
Old 08-29-02, 10:06 AM

Once had a bunch of drunk classic rock dudes attempt to kick the sh*t out of me at a party once because I let my contempt for them be known
Man the same thing has happened to me. Said "drunk mullet-heads" were in a rile because I claimed I couldn't really stand Zeppelin and wouldn't partake of their Miller lite in favor of my own beer.....PEARL!!!!!

They literally wanted to kick my ass. 'Twas alright, I talked 'em down.....and then retaliated by banging their girlfriends.

All over a band they worship simply because they don't care to venture out and see what else is out there.
BTW, my argument was and still is valid, many of the "garage-bands" of that era were better albeit mostly one-hitters.
Go listen to the "Nuggets" or "Pebbles" records and find out for yourself.
Old 08-29-02, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Led Zeplin=I don't like them
Old 08-29-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never been a huge fan like some people are. I've got 7 of their albums, but I only listen to them occasionally.

I like the band a lot, but you couldn't really call me a fan.
Old 08-29-02, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by subbacultcha
All over a band they worship simply because they don't care to venture out and see what else is out there.
BTW, my argument was and still is valid, many of the "garage-bands" of that era were better albeit mostly one-hitters.
Go listen to the "Nuggets" or "Pebbles" records and find out for yourself.
You know, I don't have any problem with your opinion, but really, this statement is unfounded. IF these garage bands were so damn good, then they would have had staying power and put out more than just one song. A one hit wonder is just that- one and done. That doesn't mean they made bad music, but it also doesn't mean they should be held to the standard that Zeppelin has and is. Zeppelin had a string of albums, all different sounding, that made it big. They grew musically with each song, and one hitters don't do that, for the most part.

Also, it's not just those idiots that you speak of that listen to zeppelin, it's EVERYONE. I own like 700 cds, listen to all kinds of music (except country and that john tesh yanni crap that calls itself music), and I know what else is out there, yet nothing comes near the amount of diverse powerful music that zeppelin put out, save the beatles. The depth and breadth of their music is incredible. A garage band just doesn't do that...for example, take a listen to the layered beauty of a song such as Ten Years Gone. There is nothing that any garage band can put together that is deeper, harmonious or more beautiful than that.

You're welcome to your opinion, just be prepared to back up statements like that, because it seems to be rash and unfounded.
Old 08-29-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zep, one thing you need to take into account is that even if those bands had just one 'hit' - they could still have some really great songs.

Some of my favorite bands never had any 'hits.' Hits are based on popularity, and popularity has little to do with quality. (and yes, I'm an elitist)
Old 08-29-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
Once had a bunch of drunk classic rock dudes attempt to kick the sh*t out of me at a party once because I let my contempt for them be known
Probably the single greatest downside of most popular bands: redneck fans. I recognize the value and diversity of Led Zeppelin's music, plus they had a lot of creative ideas in their album design. It's not something I care to hear that much anymore because of the radio overkill throughout my lifetime. I like a lot of music and I have thousands of CDs. Most Led Zeppelin fans I've met DON'T like a lot of music, kinda like Grateful Dead people. And, if that comment doesn't apply to you, I apologize, and commend you. "Kashmir" is probably their musical direction that appeals to me most.
That's my point exactly. I mean I could talk all about the artistic merits of Led Zeppelin with apes like that and they'd go "Right F***in A! Best band ever!", but do you think they'd care to return the favor if the conversation let to The Pixies (I'm assuming that's the reason for your user name) Do you think they'd even know or care who the Pixies were?

Last edited by kunert; 08-29-02 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-29-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't care for them. I never really listened to them and there was a guy in college that I did not get along with. ALL he listened to was Led Zeppelin so that sealed the deal for me.
Old 08-30-02, 11:10 AM

IF these garage bands were so damn good, then they would have had staying power and put out more than just one song
I agree however, to say they would have "staying power" if they "were" good, is my friend the epitome of unfounded. "Staying Power" ??? Are you implying "heard on the radio"? "Put out more than one song"? Then yes, you are referring to the ability to hear said song(s) on the Radio. Or shall I ask what you mean by "put out" ? How often a band or song is heard on the radio has VERY LITTLE to do with talent or aesthetics. (Note to self....it has everything to do with aesthetics now) Many fantastic bands get no publicity, much less record deals. That has no bearing on being good. Led Zeppelin is ubiquitous in their airplay, and a band like The Brian Jonestown Massacre has never been on the radio....who's better?.....It's all in personal taste. But,
There is nothing that any garage band can put together that is deeper, harmonious or more beautiful than that
Uhhh.... I think there is. It's OK, they speak to you.
Also, it's not just those idiots that you speak of that listen to zeppelin, it's EVERYONE
I agree, nobody ever said the two were mutually exclusive. I was referring to a specific instance.

do you think they'd care to return the favor if the conversation let to The Pixies (I'm assuming that's the reason for your user name) Do you think they'd even know or care who the Pixies were?
Of course not. Those type of people (Mulletheads not Zeppelin-philes) don't want to try and make decisions for themselves. They want someone (in this case the radio) to TELL them what they like. They're, in most cases, frightened of anything new or non-mainstream. These are the basic underlying tendencies for prejudice.
Talk about diverse............Compare "Planet of Sound" to "Caribou" or "Gigantic".
yet nothing comes near the amount of diverse powerful music that zeppelin put out
For you...great.
For me.....The Pixies, Tom Waits (the definition of diverse and powerful), BJM, Dandy Warhols, VU, Yo la Tengo.

john tesh yanni crap that calls itself music
HEY!!! You lay the f*** off Yanni!!! ;D
Old 08-30-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dang, subbacultcha. Namedropping Brian Jonestown Massacre, Tom Waits and Yo la Tengo might make you way too smart for this forum.
Old 08-30-02, 01:53 PM

and handsome to boot....
Old 08-30-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell yeah, subbacultcha is always one step ahead of those nefarious mulletheads! Where I was growing up, it wasn't disliking Zep that got you harrassed ('cause I think Zep was too sophisticated even for these jerk-offs), but AC/DC. If you scoffed at the none-too-pleasant vocal stylings of Bon Scott OR Brian Johnson, it was automatically assumed you were a "p*ssy". And if you point out that in reality AC/DC released only one album, and have been re-releasing it ever since, well, that's okay, 'cause it would probably go over their heads anyway.
Old 08-30-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My #1 favorite band.
Old 08-31-02, 10:15 AM

Who are the Pixies? They sound kinda queer to me.
Old 08-31-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who are the Pixies? They sound kinda queer to me.
Whoa, it's deja-vu all over again!
Old 08-31-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought they were gods when I was into them in the 70's. I didn't listen to them much in the 80's and 90's. Now, I've started to enjoy them again. No matter what, I'll always know that watching Jimmy Page jam in the title track to "The Song Remains The Same" will always be cool. Just wish they didn't inject that ridiculous Robert Plant fantasy sequence in the middle of it.
Old 08-31-02, 04:59 PM
Banned

I was curious is Led Zepplin British or American? They're a little before my generation.
Old 09-01-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're limeys, guv'na.
Old 09-01-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by kunert

Probably the single greatest downside of most popular bands: redneck fans. I recognize the value and diversity of Led Zeppelin's music, plus they had a lot of creative ideas in their album design. It's not something I care to hear that much anymore because of the radio overkill throughout my lifetime. I like a lot of music and I have thousands of CDs. Most Led Zeppelin fans I've met DON'T like a lot of music, kinda like Grateful Dead people.
Agreed. The big Zep head I know has only a handful of albums. Of course, when you have such narrow tastes, and AOR and classic rock radio is constantly playing what you like, you really don't need them.

Must be nice to fit so well into a demographic like that.

I think it's safe to say that everyone on this board is more than a casual music fan. The mullet-head with 4 Zep CDs and some old Beatles vinyl he bought in junior high in the mid 70's (that's "worth a lot because they don't make 'em anymore") really is just a casual fan. That's why it's so difficult for people who have expanded so far beyond them to relate to guys like this.