Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jimmy Fallon: Idiot Boyfriend? or plain old stoopid...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Jimmy Fallon: Idiot Boyfriend? or plain old stoopid...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy Fallon: Idiot Boyfriend? or plain old retard...

I cannot fathom, for the life of me, how this song ever got recorded.

What about you?
Old 08-20-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The video was somewhat funny, but the song blows. BTW, I think they did it because he is hosting the MTV awards show.
Old 08-21-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plus he looks like the next Adam Sandler.
Old 08-22-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to Maxim magazine, he actually made a CD (they gave it 3 stars ). Not that Maxim is the most reputable source regarding musical taste, but I thought this was worth mentioning.
Old 08-22-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like Idiot Boyfriend... i think it's goofy and stupid but funny... i listened to the rest of his album at mtv.com... and it pretty much sucks balls...

MATT
Old 08-22-02, 05:59 PM

I thought the video was pretty worthless. I like Jimmy on SNL (and in Almost Famous), and I know he's funny...but I didn't crack a smile at this video.

It takes a lot of work to make a bad Prince parody with that kind of budget...
Old 08-23-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

he shoud stick to snl

the difference between him and sandler is that sandler is funny and fallon reads funny cue cards.
Old 08-23-02, 02:49 PM
Banned

Fallon should just go away. He's a decent impressionist but he just isn't that funny. He's a "safe" comic that girls like because he's cute and they're too easily offended by better, genuis comedians like Bill Hicks and Chris Rock.
Old 08-26-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I sadly saw making of the video on this, the other day on mtv.

My guess, is that, it's simply timing on his part to try to push something out to sell while he's hosting the vmas, and the buzz is out about him. I'm guessing he gets plugs for it as well, as part of his vma gig, cause I see it getting pushed all the time on there.

It's just plain terrible, he should just stick to snl with the rest of that bad cast. I tune in, just to watch them all suffer, or get outstaged by the guest hosts. haha
Old 08-26-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Jimmy Fallon makes Adam Sandler look like George Carlin. He's the Justin Timberlake of American comedy. And the saddest part is, he's probably doing Tina Fey.
Old 08-26-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Jimmy Fallon makes Adam Sandler look like George Carlin. He's the Justin Timberlake of American comedy. And the saddest part is, he's probably doing Tina Fey.
Not to hijack the thread, but....

Tina Fey....
Old 08-27-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
And the saddest part is, he's probably doing Tina Fey.
I doubt it, I saw some show on tv about her, and they showed her husband.. So she was married. The guy wasn't even good lucking

Jimmy still is prob doing her
Old 09-04-02, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Bass God
Fallon should just go away. He's a decent impressionist but he just isn't that funny. He's a "safe" comic that girls like because he's cute and they're too easily offended by better, genuis comedians like Bill Hicks and Chris Rock.
Uh. Wait a second. Let me speak on behalf of at least one female, thank you.

I have enjoyed Jimmy Fallon for quite awhile. And no, he is funny, but he is a different type of humor than Rock. I also enjoy Chris Rock, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy's old stand up, Richard Pryor. So no. That's not correct. There are different types of comedy. It doesn't all have to be "controversial" or blantantly sexual. Just because someone likes a more subtle type of humor doesn't mean that they only enjoy "safe" humor.

And furthermore, just like men, not all women are alike. We all have different backgrounds, likes and dislikes.
Old 09-04-02, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Bass God
Since I am a girl that enjoys the comedy stylings of Jimmy Fallon, I thought I should respond to this misogynistic comment. I am actually a 29 year old woman who *loves* Jimmy Fallon. Not only do I love him as co-anchor of the Weekend Update and as a much-valued cast member of SNL, I love his appearances on talk shows and I love "Idiot Boyfriend" and the other original songs he recorded for his cd The Bathroom Wall. He seems like a genuinely nice guy with some waaaay more than decent impressions. His Jerry Seinfeld and Robin Williams bits are spot-on. His comedic talents lie in a different area than Chris Rock's (btw, he does a pretty good impression of him too ) or Bill Hicks'. There is no doubt about that, but to say that only women think he's funny because he is "safe"and "cute" is a bull**** statement. I love Chris Rock and I loved Bill Hicks, bless his troubled soul. Although I won't deny that I do find Jimmy to be extremely attractive, I think a lot of that lies in the fact that I do admire his comedic ability.

Please don't pigeonhole all women into a statement that says we only like "safe" comedy. The fact is I think good comedy is versatile and able to encompass all sexes, races, religion. Good comedy makes me, a middle-class woman from the South, able to appreciate comedy that comes from places I have never experienced, paths I have never taken, but good comedy can also make me identify with that comedian. Denis Leary takes me into his drunken Irish-Catholic childhood and I laugh until I almost fall out of my chair. These are things I never thought about before. On the flip side, Jimmy Fallon is more like me than any other comic I've ever heard. His comedy takes me back to the 80's when I was a kid staying up late watching SNL w/ my cool aunt. *This* is why I like Jimmy Fallon. Here endeth my rant.

~wis
Old 09-04-02, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BlondScrnwriter
stuff
So basically you're saying you like him because he's cute.
Old 09-04-02, 12:11 PM

Rather than getting all riled up, is it really wrong to admit that men and women TEND to enjoy varying forms of humor.

For example: I would be an idiot to bring a date to see Jim Norton or Dice Clay do stand up. But Jimmy Fallon would be a nice, safe comedian to go see.
Old 09-04-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I like Jimmy Fallon on SNL. I've only heard part of Idiot Boyfriend and haven't heard much else except the songs he used to do on SNL.
Old 09-04-02, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
So basically you're saying you like him because he's cute.
right back at ya.

Actually, probably if I was going to pick someone *completely* on looks, I would just be going on eye candy. Someone like Christian Bale or Matt Damon.

However, a sense of humor does more for a man's sex appeal than a nice haircut or a tight pair of jeans (though, add them all, and that's cool). It's like the thing with musicians. Women like musicians because the attention they pay to their instrument gives an indication of the attention they give to a woman. Women like comedians because they know that they can make them laugh among other things. So, quite frankly, a comedian who plays an instrument is ideal.

*Realizes that Jimmy Fallon both plays guitar and is a comedian. Runs out of room and sprints to Rockefeller.*

Damn you! I hate you all!
Old 09-04-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only other bit ive heard (on the radio non the less) was the part where every 80's song can be played over "u cant touch this" by mc hammer
Old 09-04-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I think Jimmy Fallon was the inspiration for Jar Jar Binks...
Old 09-06-02, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by writteninstars
...and I love "Idiot Boyfriend" ...

I guess it was inevitable that there would be at least one...
Old 09-06-02, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Bust

I guess it was inevitable that there would be at least one...
There's more than one. It debuted in the Billboard 100 this week. Shall I point the way or just drag you over there? Either will work.

Last edited by BlondScrnwriter; 09-06-02 at 08:03 PM.