Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Will the boy bands ever disappear?

Old 05-26-02, 11:25 AM
MaxPayne

Will the boy bands ever disappear?

This has been bugging me for quite some time. I expected back street boys, n'sync, 98 degrees and all that garbage to disappear a couple of months after they made it big but i don't see them going away anytime soon. I'm sorry, but they really have no talent. They are just a pack of preppy boys who prance around on stage. We all know that as soon as nsync releases their next album all the little girls will run to the store and we will be forced to listen to that crap on the radio and tv for the next year. Britney spears, Shakira and all that lot have no talent but at least they are nice to look at so they dont bother me as much. I wish boy bands played REAL music, back in the day the beatles were a highly successful boy band and they had massive talent. Just my thoughts, feel free to chip in.

Old 05-26-02, 12:16 PM

So, it's okay to have no talent as long as they look good? The boy bands give something for the girls to look at! Don't be so selfish.
Old 05-26-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well there not as popular as they were 2 or 3 years ago,remember seeing 8 diffrent boy bands on MTVs TRL 2 or 3 years ago?Well its down to 2,lets just hope these last 2 fall off.
Old 05-26-02, 04:08 PM
Banned

Re: Will the boy bands ever disappear?

Originally posted by MaxPayne
I wish boy bands played REAL music, back in the day the beatles were a highly successful boy band and they had massive talent. Just my thoughts, feel free to chip in.
AMEN TO THAT, BROTHA. I agree 100% on everything you said in that quote. Great job and great post.

Did N'sync and Backstreet Boys and all other boy bands play guitar, bass and drums? *shakes head* HELL NO!!!!!!

Yes, The Beatles were definitely a boy band back in the 50's and 60's. I agree that I wish boy bands can play real music these days like you said. Well, since everyone considered that Creed is a boy band, Creed is a very talented band because they don't lip synch and dance on the stage. They wrote their own songs and play their own music.

It's pretty sad when all the music industry wants is the look and potential to make it big when these boy bands don't play real music but I understand what you're saying. I know exactly what you're saying. I just wish all these boy bands and pop music genre would fade away because this type of music in the pop music genre holds back other talent with people that plays real music with real instruments. Again, good post.

And BTW, I just don't understand the fact why they call N'Sync and Backstreet Boys "Boy Bands' when they don't even play instruments. A band that plays instruments would be considered a "band". Not just groups that just sing and dance, thats is just a load of crap. "Boy Bands" should be callled "Groups" instead. The Beatles and Creed would definitely be callled boy bands because they play real instruments. I hope you understand me.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 05-26-02 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know a guy who, for a small fee, could make all the boy bands disappear.
Old 05-26-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just to be sure you guys are aware...N Sync writes their own music, and the compositions are more than likely better than anything you could ever do.

I'm not saying that they write well...just better than most people.

Furthermore, I love vocalists/musicals/etc. Aren't they nothing more than people prancing around on the stage? The singers don't write the musicals my friends.

For that matter...how many actors could even dream of being a screenwriter? They just put life to the script that is given to them. By the logic in this thread (which is ridiculous and nearly unbelievable) actors would not be worthy of being considered talented because they don't write their parts.

Come on folks--if you don't like it put on a cd or leave the place that is playing the music.
Old 05-26-02, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Just to be sure you guys are aware...N Sync writes their own music, and the compositions are more than likely better than anything you could ever do.

I'm not saying that they write well...just better than most people.

Furthermore, I love vocalists/musicals/etc. Aren't they nothing more than people prancing around on the stage? The singers don't write the musicals my friends.

For that matter...how many actors could even dream of being a screenwriter? They just put life to the script that is given to them. By the logic in this thread (which is ridiculous and nearly unbelievable) actors would not be worthy of being considered talented because they don't write their parts.

Come on folks--if you don't like it put on a cd or leave the place that is playing the music.
But I don't get how they could write and compose their own songs when they don't even play instruments. They hire other musicians to play the music for them because they don't play instruments.

Click here for proof

If you click on that link and scroll all the way down, if you look in the performers lists, you can see all they do is sing. They hire other musicians to play the music for them since they don't know how to play instruments. They hire someone else to play the instruments for them.

And if you look at the names next to the titles of the songs, you would see that their names are not credited in the song titles either, so someone else wrote the lyrics for them. They don't write their own songs. I'm telling you that these pop singers hire other people to write the songs for them. Their names may be credited, maybe, but they have ghostwriters to write their songs under their names if you know what I mean.

Sorry Alyoshka but if you did your research on the net beforehand then you would know. Even though someone doesn't like a certain type of music, we have the freedom to express our opinions since this a discussion board.
Old 05-26-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Guitar_God

But I don't get how they could write and compose their own songs when they don't even play instruments. They hire other musicians to play the music for them because they don't play instruments.

Click here for proof

If you click on that link and scroll all the way down, if you look in the performers lists, you can see all they do is sing. They hire other musicians to play the music for them since they don't know how to play instruments. They hire someone else to play the instruments for them.

And if you look at the names next to the titles of the songs, you would see that their names are not credited in the song titles either, so someone else wrote the lyrics for them. They don't write their own songs. I'm telling you that these pop singers hire other people to write the songs for them. Their names may be credited, maybe, but they have ghostwriters to write their songs under their names if you know what I mean.

Sorry Alyoshka but if you did your research on the net beforehand then you would know. Even though someone doesn't like a certain type of music, we have the freedom to express our opinions since this a discussion board.
Does this look similar to anyone else?
Old 05-26-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are two correct answers to this pressing question. You may choose one or both.

1) not as long as there are girls aged 5-13 raised in a culture of superficiality.

2) Who gives rat's a$$.

Spoiler:
Find some good music and learn to deal with the less musically evolved. We have bigger problems in the world.
Old 05-26-02, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jepthah

2) Who gives rat's a$$.
[/B]
exactly my thoughts! Just don't listen to them if you don't like them.
Old 05-26-02, 11:22 PM
MaxPayne

I dont choose to listen to them, they are forced on me. If you have any televison of radio, then you are sure to be bombarded with that crap. Carson promotes that garbage for music on TRL everyday and then all the little kiddies buy into it. I wouldn't give nsync the respect of being called musicians, their act is a freak side show.

Old 05-26-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think so, not as long as people like me consider System Of A Down and Linkin Park boy bands as well.
Old 05-27-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jepthah
There are two correct answers to this pressing question. You may choose one or both.

1) not as long as there are girls aged 5-13 raised in a culture of superficiality.

2) Who gives rat's a$$.

Spoiler:
Find some good music and learn to deal with the less musically evolved. We have bigger problems in the world.
At least it isn't indulgent prog rock from tired musicians who couldn't cut it in composition school, right?
Old 05-27-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still curious why anyone watches movies - actors don't write the lines they speak. We're all being cheated here! Let's whine some more.

As for it being forced on someone because theywatch TRL? I don't know what theywere expecting by first off turning their TV to MTV and furthermore by watching TRL. Give me a break.
Old 05-27-02, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Alyoshka

At least it isn't indulgent prog rock from tired musicians who couldn't cut it in composition school, right?
Will you help make my fantasy come true, Al, where we kidnap several 9-13 year old girls from some local mall and drive them around in a sealed, dark van all day while they are strapped into their seats as we blast King Crimson, Magma, Gong and Devil Doll?

Oh, and so the FBI doesn't get on me:

Old 05-27-02, 03:58 AM
Cool New Member

A true exception to those manufactured boybands

You say you're sick of those manufactured boybands who do not play any instruments or write their own songs? Well, so am I. That's why I became such a huge fan of British band BBMAK. They burst onto the music scene in 2000 with "Back Here." Not only do they sing, but they also play their own instruments, write, AND produce. How's that for talent? Gotta give them props for that, definitely.

In fact, they just won an ASCAP Pop Music Award at last week's ceremony in Los Angeles for writing "Back Here."

Check them out sometime. I've seen them in concert 4 times, and they never cease to amaze me. They sound just as good live as on their CD; they have incredible harmonies. They put on quite a rockin' show. Oh, and you'll be happy to hear that they DO NOT do any choreographed dancing. No ridiculous moves, just 3 guys up there on stage, playing their guitars, singing their hearts out, giving it their all.

In my opinion, they are underrated. Unfortunately, many have lumped them in with the rest of the manufactured boybands. I hope that they will start to get the credit and recognition they truly deserve when their new album is released in August. They are the best British import that has come along in the past several years.

To hear their brand new song before it is released to radio, click here: http://i-squad.net/cgi-bin/hollywood...sglitz&a=BBMak

Last edited by missglitz; 05-27-02 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-27-02, 06:07 AM
Banned

MissGlitz, I am glad you are with me on this. I agree with everything you said totally.

They are not around anymore, they split up a while ago but you also got to give credit to the band Savage Garden. Savage Garden was a pop band and they wrote pop/dance songs and they were a boy band too. Savage Garden also wrote their own music, composed their own songs just like BBMak did. These bands that play real instruments were not manufactures like N' Sync and Backstreet Boys.

In order to compose and write your own music, you must play some kind of an instrument and write your own lyrics. N'Sync and Backstreet Boys and other boy bands did none of that. Savage Garden and BBMak did.

Great post missglits and good job.

I've said this a few times and I'll say it again. Since this is a discussion board, we have the freedom to talk about music we don't like since this is a music board. .

And for those who keep saying "Don't listen to them, if you don't like them". Well, I don't listen to them. Why would I listen to music that I hate? I don't. It's all about expressing an opinion on this stuff.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 05-27-02 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-27-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything has a backlash and now you're seeing it more with boy bands........more and more of them......but soon something else will come along to blow all this crap away, and hopefully its something to do with rock and no more hip hop/pop/poop...........I think America is ready to rock again.
Old 05-27-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: A true exception to those manufactured boybands

Originally posted by missglitz
You say you're sick of those manufactured boybands who do not play any instruments or write their own songs? Well, so am I. That's why I became such a huge fan of British band BBMAK. They burst onto the music scene in 2000 with "Back Here." Not only do they sing, but they also play their own instruments, write, AND produce. How's that for talent? Gotta give them props for that, definitely.

In fact, they just won an ASCAP Pop Music Award at last week's ceremony in Los Angeles for writing "Back Here."

Check them out sometime. I've seen them in concert 4 times, and they never cease to amaze me. They sound just as good live as on their CD; they have incredible harmonies. They put on quite a rockin' show. Oh, and you'll be happy to hear that they DO NOT do any choreographed dancing. No ridiculous moves, just 3 guys up there on stage, playing their guitars, singing their hearts out, giving it their all.

In my opinion, they are underrated. Unfortunately, many have lumped them in with the rest of the manufactured boybands. I hope that they will start to get the credit and recognition they truly deserve when their new album is released in August. They are the best British import that has come along in the past several years.

To hear their brand new song before it is released to radio, click here: http://i-squad.net/cgi-bin/hollywood...sglitz&a=BBMak
Thanks, I was wondering when their new album would be out.
Old 05-27-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And for those who keep saying "Don't listen to them, if you don't like them". Well, I don't listen to them. Why would I listen to music that I hate? I don't. It's all about expressing an opinion on this stuff.
That's all well and good, but it seems a lot of people feel that noone should listen to these bands, and they invent conditions that these bands don't meet in order to justify their positions.

Technically, they are vocal groups and not bands (like the Four Tops, etc.), but "boy band" is altiterative and that's what they call them. It's like calling Linkin Park or Limp Bisquit "metal". It's just a label.

People listen to music for different reasons. Kids listen to boy bands because it's part of their whole social scene. The songs are accessible, and will lead the ones who have a real interest in music to other things.

Not everyone is going to be a serious music fan like most of us here are, either.
Old 05-27-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about Elvis? From the looks of it he only co-wrote a couple of his early songs (While the majority of his 70's stuff was co-written by him) and the others were written by someone else.
Old 05-27-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wormwood
What about Elvis? From the looks of it he only co-wrote a couple of his early songs (While the majority of his 70's stuff was co-written by him) and the others were written by someone else.
And he could barely play that guitar, too.
Old 05-27-02, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jason

That's all well and good, but it seems a lot of people feel that noone should listen to these bands, and they invent conditions that these bands don't meet in order to justify their positions.

Technically, they are vocal groups and not bands (like the Four Tops, etc.), but "boy band" is altiterative and that's what they call them. It's like calling Linkin Park or Limp Bisquit "metal". It's just a label.

People listen to music for different reasons. Kids listen to boy bands because it's part of their whole social scene. The songs are accessible, and will lead the ones who have a real interest in music to other things.

Not everyone is going to be a serious music fan like most of us here are, either.
That's a great post Jason. Very good explanation. I agree with you too.

When a group plays instruments, that's when you're considered a band. The Beatles, Savage Garden, BB Mak, and Creed would be considered boy bands because they play their own instruments. Groups who don't play instruments and all they do is just sing and dance should be called "vocal groups:.

"Vocal groups" is a good word to put it instead of calling them boy bands when they don't play instruments and all they do is sing and dance. I just wish the music industry would start calling N'Sync and Backstreet Boys "Vocal Groups" instead of "Boy Bands" because it just don't sound right.

As I said, I can understand why people listen to pop music. There is music for everyone and yes Jason, people listen to music for certain reasons. People can listen to any type of music they want. I have no problem with that. It's just that when people get into conversations about music, I can't help myself from expressing my thoughts about a certain genre.

I just don't like pop/dance music because the songwriting doesn't appeal me.

And by the way, if you want to know a pop/dance musician that is VERY talented and has some real talent. Look at Prince. Prince had played just about every instrument he could get his hands on. Prince played the guitar, piano, keyboards, drums, bass, etc. I'm sure everyone knows who Prince is, he's the one that recorded the album "Purple Rain" from the movie soundtrack. I wish most pop music artist can have talent like Prince these days.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 05-27-02 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...I just don't like pop/dance music because the songwriting doesn't appeal me.
But that's the point it wasn't written to appeal to you it's for pre-teen girls who's one and only love changes with their socks. Let them have their moment they will grow out of it. Music is a business if you don't appeal to the masses and sell you get no play so some of the best song writters/musicians most people will never hear about just be happy when you find them yourself.

And by the way, if you want to know a pop/dance musician that is VERY talented and has some real talent. Look at Prince. Prince had played just about every instrument he could get his hands on. Prince played the guitar, piano, keyboards, drums, bass, etc. I'm sure everyone knows who Prince is, he's the one that recorded the album "Purple Rain" from the movie soundtrack. I wish most pop music artist can have talent like Prince these days.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one that recognizes Prince's skills
Old 05-27-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My problem isn't with boy bands themselves - boy-bands are an aspect of the problem.

I think the problem is youth aimed marketing, everything is directed towards 15 year old these days.

And What's worse - though I don't really think the two are related - increasingly, the age braket of "kids" is increasing. At one point, college age was considered adult, but now we're just post-teens.

So, we still fit into that teen market.

What baffles me is that 15 year olds don't have money - or at least the shouldn't have a whole hell of a lot of it. So why is so much money aimed at getting their money?

Over-indulgent parents.

The reason that 'Nysnc is so huge is marketing.

I personally don't like their music, its pretty typically horrid - but most music these days is.

I truly believe that the commercialist culture that we're living in has caused the "boy-band" phenomena along with many much more pressing issues.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.