Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Iggy Pop's 'Raw Power'

Old 06-01-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Iggy Pop's 'Raw Power'

Does this album sound like it was recorder in someone's livingroom, or did I just download a bad file?

I tried a couple of different ones, and they all sound not so good, leading me to believe that its not the file.

Anyone familiar with the album?
Old 06-01-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got the David Bowie produced one, and the production is indeed very "raw". But it suits the music just fine (you don't want Iggy sounding slick do ya?). So yeah, I believe it's supposed to sound that way.

On the other hand, there was a version that came out a while back that Iggy himself remixed, and I haven't heard it. Now that I think about it, I'm probably not much help...
Old 06-02-02, 03:01 AM

i've got the version that iggy remixed in the late 90s. he thought the original bowie mix was too clean for the stooges sound (i've heard the original album and i have to agree). you probably downloaded the iggy remix. most fans tend to prefer the iggy remix.
Old 06-02-02, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Bowie mix doesn't sound "clean" at all to me. It actually sounds as dirty as Fun House. Just listen to his production on "Death Trip". Not saying it's a better mix (like I said, never heard the Iggy remix), just that it's not "clean".
Old 06-02-02, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a fantastic album and YES, it's supposed to sound shitty and distorted. Enjoy it at painful levels.
Old 06-02-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have Funhouse on vinyl and I LOVE the nasty quality of it.
Old 06-02-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From the back of the CD:

"People kept asking me - musicians, kids I would see, 'Have you ever thought about remixing Raw Power?' Everything's still in the red, it's a very violent mix. The proof's in the pudding." - Iggy Pop
Old 06-02-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool. Its not that I was dissappointed with it - I just wanted to be sure that I had what was intended. I've d/l lots of stuff that sounded like crap that wasn't supposed to sound like crap
Old 06-02-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If iggy sounded slick, he wouldn't be iggy. I guess that's why I don't really like his newer stuff that much.

Raw Power and Metallic KO are the best of his early stuff. Metallic KO is hilarious. It's a live recording of one of his concerts and it almost sounds like a stand up routine. I love how he taunts the audience.