Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Alternative country?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Alternative country?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternative country?

I heard about this genre a few years ago, I guess the Bottle Rockets and Southern Culture on the Skids would fit into it.

What other groups would be in this genre, and what are some good songs I can look up?

Thanks!

Here is a 30 second clip of Southern Culture on the Skids' song: Strangest Ways

http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muz...asx?obj=v10207
Old 05-28-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go for the Handsome Family. AWESOME music. Tarnation is also quite an interesting alternative country band.
Old 05-28-02, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't Uncle Tupelo and it's offspring fit into the altcountry category?

I've been getting into Uncle Tupelo recently. (Sorry, don't know song titles yet!) They have anthology CD that's out also.

Uncle Tupelo: 89/93 An Anthology

Uncle Tupelo spawned Wilco and Sun Volt.

Sun Volt I've listened too, and isn't bad, Wilco, is just great.

Especially their latest, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Then....Roger Clyne (ex frontman of The Refreshments) went on to make Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, which is good too, more altcountry than rock like the refreshments.
Old 05-29-02, 12:30 PM

To begin with, I'd recommend a website, www.altcountrytab.com, for info, forum discussions, etc. on altcountry stuff.

Like most genres, one person's definition of "alt-country" is different from another's. My personal favorite name for the genre, "y'allternative," I think has a more rock-oriented flavor than "alt-country," and my favorite albums are probably more rock-oriented.

In terms of artists and albums, early Wilco (later Wilco is great, great stuff, but isn't really "alt-country"), Uncle Tupelo (yeah, pretty much the progenitor of the alt-country movement), Jayhawks ("Hollywood Town Hall" the album is generally considered a masterpiece of the genre), Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams, Golden Smog, Son Volt, Gram Parsons, the list goes on and on...

But, really, the genre is broad enough that you might not like any of those recommendations.
Old 05-29-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 97's! I love these guys.
Old 05-29-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love alternative country (and also prefer the "y'allternative" label if you've gotta label it). The label encompasses quite a diverse collection of artists though. Here are some of my favorites...

Johnny Cash - quite possibly the first country artist to gain a following from rock fans and still one of the best.

Willie Nelson - same as Johnny Cash

Gram Parsons - awesome stuff. No fan of alt-country should be without GP/Grievous Angel. His stuff with the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers is worth checking out as well.

Uncle Tupelo - Earlier they had more of a cowpunk sound. Their later stuff is more rootsy and acoustic. It's all damn good though.

Wilco - A.M is their most country disc. It's also their worst (still good though). Simply a brilliant band...one of the best of the past 20 years IMO.

Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams - Many consider Stranger's Almanac to be the alt-country Nevermind. If that's true, Faithless Street is its Bleach, and I like Faithless St. better. Drunken, snotty, punky country that simply kicks ass.

Old 97's - All their albums are great (with the possible exception of Fight Songs), but Too Far to Care is the best. High energy alt-country with excellent lyrics and extremely catchy tunes. Even appeals to people that hate all types of twangy music.

The Gourds - Possibly my favorite band. Simply a ton of fun. All their albums are great but start with Dem's Good Beeble (their first) or Bolsa de Agua (their most recent). This is the band responsible for the cover of "Gin & Juice" that is heavily circulated on the net.

Be Good Tanyas - Amazing group of women from British Colombia. Very traditional music, and Blue Horse one of my favorite albums of 2001.

Kasey Chambers - Australian singer/songwriter. Great voice, and I really dig her new disc, Barricades & Brickwalls.

That should give you a good start. Overall, I think you'll find y'allternative to be an incredibly diverse genre with tons of good (and unfortunately underexposed) acts.
Old 05-29-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
What about Junior Brown?
Old 05-29-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
What about Junior Brown?
Junior Brown definitely is in the category, and he's awesome.

Some others not yet mentioned:
Robert Earl Keen
Lucinda Williams
Lyle Lovett
Blood Oranges (more like alt-bluegrass)
Bad Livers (more like alt-bluegrass)
Maria McKee/Lone Justice
Buddy and Julie Miller
Steve Earle
Iris Dement
Freakwater

These vary quite a bit. Someone could love Steve Earle and hate Iris Dement, for example. I define alt-country as pretty much everything with a twangy sound that doesn't get played on mainstream country radio...
Old 05-29-02, 10:53 PM

Emmylou Harris
Caitlyn Cary (formerly of Whiskeytown)
Gillian Welch
Scud Mountain Boys/Pernice Brothers
The Gourds

I think those haven't been mentioned yet.

Also, the following are great Uncle Tupelo songs:

"No Depression"
"Gun"
"New Madrid"
"We've Been Had"
"Still Be Around"
"Looking for a Way Out"

There are many more, but that's a start. Many of the good bands have already been mentioned, but I think I added a few. Alt-country is up there for my favorite genre.
Old 05-29-02, 11:13 PM

I'll throw out a name that hasn't been mentioned yet: Jupiter Coyote. I posted a thread on this band yesterday in this forum. If any of you guys like alt-country, definitely check this band out. They are simply one of the best bands out there working today.

All of their albums are standounts, but start with either "Here Be Dragons" or "Waxing Moon."

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-30-02, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And there were PLENTY of great acts from the 80's as well.

Rank and File
Jason and the Scorchers
Beat Farmers
Blasters
Meat Puppets
Green on Red
Long Ryders
Giant Sand
EIEIO
Scott Goddard
Beat Rodeo
Blue Rodeo
Swimming Pool Q's
Los Lobos
Webb Wilder
Dash Rip Rock

Just a few examples of bands who might not have been pure country, but they had styles/songs that fit in there. The Beat Farmers first album is outstanding ("Tales of the New West"). I know there are plenty of Uncle Tupelo fans out there, but sometimes I get a little miffed when they are referred to as this granddaddy "alt-country" band. There was so much out there before them (and so much around before the bands I listed).

I LOVE this style of music. I might listen to techno and other styles just as much, but this stuff is supreme.
Old 05-30-02, 08:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Once in awhile the British magazine "Uncut" has on their free CD that is included on the cover is a compliation of Alt Country bands, the series is called "Sounds of the New West"

Also check out a band called the Willard Grant Conspiracy
Old 05-30-02, 09:02 AM

Buy these albums today:

Hollywood Town Hall by the Jayhawks
Songs in a Northern Key by Varnaline

Seriously. Shut down your computer, drive to you favorite record store, and buy them. Now.

Do it.

I'm waiting.
Old 05-30-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Neko Case (especially Furnace Room Lullaby)

The Waco Brothers

The Pine Valley Cosmonauts
Old 05-30-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OLD 97's

FIGHT SONG'S is greatness...a little more poppy than the others, but still GREAT!
Old 05-30-02, 10:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
There is also a 2 Disc album called "Exposed Roots: The Best of Alt. Country" released in 1999. You might have difficulty tracking down but it's a great compliation.
Artists on the album include: Lucinda Williams, Blue Mountain, Gillian Welch, Whiskeytown, Golden Smog, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Freakwater, Meat Puppets, Gourds, BR5-49, Tangletown, Cheri Knight, Jayhawks, Kelly Willis, Steve Earle, Southern Culture on the Skids, Johnny Cash, Handsome Family, Vic Chesnutt, Honeydogs, Alejandro Escovedo, Marlee MacLeod, Lambchop, Gram Parsons.
Old 05-30-02, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Giles
There is also a 2 Disc album called "Exposed Roots: The Best of Alt. Country" released in 1999. You might have difficulty tracking down but it's a great compliation.
Artists on the album include: Lucinda Williams, Blue Mountain, Gillian Welch, Whiskeytown, Golden Smog, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Freakwater, Meat Puppets, Gourds, BR5-49, Tangletown, Cheri Knight, Jayhawks, Kelly Willis, Steve Earle, Southern Culture on the Skids, Johnny Cash, Handsome Family, Vic Chesnutt, Honeydogs, Alejandro Escovedo, Marlee MacLeod, Lambchop, Gram Parsons.
Great cds.
Old 05-30-02, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Emmylou Harris
Caitlyn Cary (formerly of Whiskeytown)
Gillian Welch
Scud Mountain Boys/Pernice Brothers
The Gourds
Good list.

Also, good to see someone else finally singing the praises of the Gourds a bit. Simply a brilliant band.

Also, forgot to mention Slobberbone in my last post. Halfway between bar rock and alt-country but they're from Texas so that pushes them over the alt-country edge, I think. Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today is a great album, and their other two are pretty damn fine as well.
Old 05-30-02, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv

Also, good to see someone else finally singing the praises of the Gourds a bit. Simply a brilliant band.

My fiance gets really cracked up at their rendition of "Gin and Juice." It is pretty funny.
Old 05-30-02, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Penny Lane

My fiance gets really cracked up at their rendition of "Gin and Juice." It is pretty funny.
I love their cover...humorous but the joke doesn't get old. It holds up surprisingly well actually. They also do a pretty good cover of "No Diggity" live that's incredibly entertaining.
Old 05-30-02, 09:08 PM

Richard Buckner.
Old 06-02-02, 03:06 AM

the mekons have some pretty cool alt-country/punk. i love neko case and wilco (love their collaborations with billy bragg!) too. i don't think anybody's mentioned the sadies, a good alt-country band from toronto, canada. pretty cool country rock.
Old 06-03-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by LurkerDan

Junior Brown definitely is in the category, and he's awesome.

Yeah i just picked up a couple of his CD's a few weeks ago.
Old 06-03-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my meaningless opinion,
Ryan Adams is the king of alternative country.

This guy is just loaded with talent.

Check out the Whiskeytown albums and his solo
ventures Heartbreaker and Gold

"La Cienaga Just Smiled" is a favorite song of mine.
Old 06-03-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also a big fan of Alejandro Escovedo and Chris Knight.

For me at least, "alternative" country is the only country music I listen to....its a shame its hardly ever on the radio.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.