Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dio speaks out on "devil horns" abuse

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-23-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally from Blabbermouth

Ronnie James Dio, the man widely credited for pioneering the "devil's horns" hand sign, recently spoke to Kerrang! about the "widespread abuse of his creation" amongst pop folk and people who flash the sign without knowing the meaning behind it.

"It's all right as long as it's accepted for what it was," Dio told the magazine. "It was a more serious thing at the time, when I was with [BLACK] SABBATH. That was a band that was very dark, and that's what I wanted it to be. It was symbol of the darkness of that band, and not something to be passed on to BRITNEY SPEARS! An invention is an invention, I guess. It's become so damn polluted now. The people who are doing it don't know what it means and they have no idea that they shouldn't be doing it.

"It's a trend," Dio addded. "It's a popular trend and so it will probably become like the hula hoop. During a show, I sometimes think 'Maybe I won't do that tonight', because it's become so damn ludicrous now. Everyone's doing it and it has no meaning anymore. Now I wait until two or three songs into the show, and until there's a stop in the music and I'm doing something on my own, and then the response is incredible because people are wanting that from me. It's like OZZY and the peace sign, you know? So I never find myself not doing it, but I'm definitely doing it less and less these days.

"The point is that you can't just flash it. You have to a face that goes with it. There has to be some emotion behind it. It can't just be the raising of the arm, trying to get your fingers in the right position. And you'll notice that a lot of people are using the thumb now, too. When the thumb comes out it means 'I love you' either in Hawaiian or in sign language - I'm not sure which! So that's proof, once again, that these celebrities don't really have a clue. As stupid as this might sound, I never once did that on stage unless it was to punctuate something that was a little more dark. So when I did it, it was never about starting a trend. It's a natural thing for me to do. It's important to know that it's not something I did frivolously it was just a spontaneous response to something that I sang. A lot of times, bending of the knees always puts it in a slightly different perspective. It puts you in the Sumo position. Now you're ready to charge!"
Old 05-24-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes its official, Ronnie James Dio is not only a dork.......but an idiot!
Old 05-24-02, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never knew what that meant...I just saw everybody doing it
Old 05-24-02, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Away with ye, Dio! Back to Hell from whence ye came!!
Old 05-24-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Old 05-24-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Props to the elfen one because he is metal, but I think he may be taking it just a little too seriously.
Old 05-24-02, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Dubya is metal!
Old 05-24-02, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank God someone finally had the courage to speak out about the rampant abuse of the devil's horns hand sign. Ronnie James Dio is a credit to pseudo-evil heavy metal wannabes everywhere.
Old 05-24-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And all along folks thought Ronnie was Satan. Now the truth is out; it was Pappa Bush!! Dubya - the demon-spawn!

Spoiler:
Now don't you ultra-conservative types go mad and start atackin' me, it's just a joke. Honest injun.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 05-24-02 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-24-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Dio has rocked. . . For a long, long time. . . Now it's time to pass the torch"
JB & KG
Old 05-24-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know Ronnie James Dio went to the University of Texas.
Old 05-24-02, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Virex "Dio has rocked. . . For a long, long time. . . Now it's time to pass the torch"
JB & KG
I was wondering how long it would take before the D appeared in here. (That quote was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this.)
Old 05-24-02, 04:46 PM

I can tell everyone here really knows a lot about metal (*cough*). Dio is largely responsible for its use in regards to music (no, he didn't INVENT the sign, just started its use in metal), AND he is valid in his belief that it has become way overexposed (I think I saw someone in the Corrs use it once...WTF?). Beyond that, Dio still rocks, and unlike washed-up has-beens (Ozzy), he writes his own music, and can sing it without a teleprompter and a "helper" backstage. Go back to the mall.
Old 05-24-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think saying Ozzy is washed up is a matter of opinion. He headlines a major tour (well, considering its called Ozzfest and his wife runs it)...what's new with Dio? What's he selling out? Anything? This is just my view though...

Regarding teleprompter use, I don't think Ozzy does (althought I've heard that he does from some, and that he doesn't from others). Considering he's dyslexic (think that's spelled right), it would be hard for him to read the lyrics, yes? But then again, his brain sure is shot....how could he remember it all?

Who knows...but I think he's far from washed up.
Old 05-25-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Toka
I can tell everyone here really knows a lot about metal (*cough*). Dio is largely responsible for its use in regards to music (no, he didn't INVENT the sign, just started its use in metal), AND he is valid in his belief that it has become way overexposed (I think I saw someone in the Corrs use it once...WTF?). Beyond that, Dio still rocks, and unlike washed-up has-beens (Ozzy), he writes his own music, and can sing it without a teleprompter and a "helper" backstage. Go back to the mall.
I think that your judging folks' knowledge of music by a single post is short-sighted at best. I think the point of most of the posts was "who gives a rip?" From the original quote, he sounds like a whiner that needs to get over himself.
Old 05-26-02, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Three Day Delay

I think that your judging folks' knowledge of music by a single post is short-sighted at best. I think the point of most of the posts was "who gives a rip?" From the original quote, he sounds like a whiner that needs to get over himself.
Yep. And he ain't the only one. Ouch!
Old 05-26-02, 11:08 PM

Come on, we all know where he really got it from.

Old 05-27-02, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AmazingColossalPumaMan
Come on, we all know where he really got it from.

Thumb's out. That just means Spidey is an Aggie.
Old 05-28-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Gene Simmons did the "devil horns" on the cover of a KISS album and during live shows even before Dio was in Black Sabbath.
Old 05-28-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by slop101
Gene Simmons did the "devil horns" on the cover of a KISS album and during live shows even before Dio was in Black Sabbath.
Which album cover is that?
Old 05-29-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Three Day Delay

Which album cover is that?
Love Gun, '77

Dio joined Sabbath in June of '79 and they didn't release Heaven and Hell until '80. Granted, the Love Gun cover is a painting, but still, the idea of Gene doing that had to come from somewhere. It looks like that's the only pre-'80 album ( I haven't looked at post-80) where Gene does the sign on the front cover. When I get home and can look at my cds, I'll check and see if he ever did it on any of the backs, providing they include the original art for the backs, which I think they do.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 05-29-02 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-29-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kiss? Big deal... check out John Lennon on the cover of Yellow Submarine. 1968, baby!

"All hail Ringo, the dark one."
Old 05-30-02, 12:55 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by harpo787
I think saying Ozzy is washed up is a matter of opinion. He headlines a major tour (well, considering its called Ozzfest and his wife runs it)...what's new with Dio? What's he selling out? Anything? This is just my view though...

Regarding teleprompter use, I don't think Ozzy does (althought I've heard that he does from some, and that he doesn't from others). Considering he's dyslexic (think that's spelled right), it would be hard for him to read the lyrics, yes? But then again, his brain sure is shot....how could he remember it all?

Who knows...but I think he's far from washed up.
You can't even compare Ozzy and Dio anymore, in my opinion. Ozzy certainly deserves credit for the success that's been built upon his name.

But Dio's got the voice. After all these years his name still shows up at the top of many 'best metal voice' polls.

Mark
Old 05-30-02, 01:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.electricbasement.com/review667.htm

Dio certainly has the voice but if album sales are to be believed,
as is the case with guys like Glenn Hughes and Paul Rodgers, not
so many people seem to be paying to listen to his new stuff....

.... anyone here able to review his latest?

Click for Usenet review

Last edited by benedict; 05-30-02 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 01:45 PM
Cool New Member

Very true. I don't think that Dio's sales are anywhere close to what they used to be.

But I think that's due to the fact that his current appeal is more to an underground audience. During the 80's he was very much a mainstream performer.

He would be difficult to mass market in today's music scene. In fact I've heard him be the butt of jokes on *hard music* stations on several occasions. Here in Colorado, 'Holy Diver' made the finals for the 'lamest song ever' contest on a hard music station. It boggled my mind that the typical Korn listener would prefer 'The Marcerena' or any boy band over Dio.

I've heard the new Dio album. But I'm the wrong person to ask for a review. I've been a huge fan of his voice since I heard him on the Rainbow albums when I was a kid. I pretty much like everything he does.

Mark