Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands nobody has heard of

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bands nobody has heard of

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by Pillowhead
Failure - Fantastic Planet and Magnified are terrific albums. Check em out!

The Fantastic Planet album has a song that spawned my username.
I think this is probably the most famous band listed here.
Old 03-28-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by greeny
Ladytron. Rialto. Geneva. Cinnamon. Marion. Bis. Kent. Raissa. Kings of Convenience. and many, many more....
Didn't Ladytron open for Depeche Mode in Europe on their recent tour? I've yet to hear them. Are they an electronic band?

I've actually got the first Rialto album. Which is very good. Did they ever do another one? Heard a few Kent songs.
Old 03-28-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AndyCapps

I agree with you about their last CD. I bought it and listened to it maybe twice. They're just not the same without Mike Wiltrout.
Absolutely true. Once Trout left, the personality of the band kind of dissipated. Nothing made me happier than seeing him dance around freestyling lyrics while the band played the themes from Sanford & Son and S.W.A.T. live.
Old 03-28-02, 10:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The Scooters, Trembling Blue Stars, Parkinsons, Half Man Half Biscuit, Clearlake, Annie Christian, Magoo, Rinocerose, Butterfly Child.....
Old 03-28-02, 11:13 AM
Banned

Seriously though, Dehon's Garage is very good.

I'd also have to add:
Guster and Ben Kweller
Old 03-28-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Stretch Princess sucks. Saw em open for Third Eye Blind a couple of years ago. Awful. Had to leave after 3 songs to go out in the foyer and drink some beer.

Guster got radio play with Barrel of a Gun. Anybody in the "Dave Matthews Band frat boy" circle knows of Guster. Personally I think Guster is as interesting as watching grass grow in front of a wall with paint drying.
Old 03-28-02, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper

Didn't Ladytron open for Depeche Mode in Europe on their recent tour? I've yet to hear them. Are they an electronic band?

I've actually got the first Rialto album. Which is very good. Did they ever do another one? Heard a few Kent songs.
Yeah, Rialto had a second album -- but I think the only way that you can get it is by the net as they were dropped from their record company.. It is a pretty good album, but not as good as their first.

I had no idea Ladytron opened for Depeche Mode -- just goes to show you how out of it I am about music! Guess they are pretty popular -- around here though no one has heard of them.
Old 03-28-02, 02:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
There was a 70s rock band called Wishbone Ash who made quite a bit of albums (on Warner Bros. label) that no one seems to have ever heard of. They weren't great or anything, but were in the vein of Boston and Bad Co.
Old 03-28-02, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DTSC
Guster got radio play with Barrel of a Gun. Anybody in the "Dave Matthews Band frat boy" circle knows of Guster. Personally I think Guster is as interesting as watching grass grow in front of a wall with paint drying.
This is the worst Guster analysis i've ever heard. They've got a unique style which doesn't fit in with the standard DMB group. Don't judge a band after hearing their single.

By the way (speaking of the DMB circle) Howie Day is really good.
Old 03-28-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by DTSC
Stretch Princess sucks. Saw em open for Third Eye Blind a couple of years ago. Awful. Had to leave after 3 songs to go out in the foyer and drink some beer.

Can't comment on how they are live since I haven't ever seen them. But their studio album is well produced. Third Eye Blind sucks live and in the studio IMO.
Old 03-28-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by BenFolds

This is the worst Guster analysis i've ever heard. They've got a unique style which doesn't fit in with the standard DMB group. Don't judge a band after hearing their single.

By the way (speaking of the DMB circle) Howie Day is really good.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one BenFolds. Guster is one of my favorite bands, and I find they have little to nothing in common with DMB. I'd call 'em a modern day Simon & Garfunkel (with much better percussion) if anything. I've seen them live three times, and they are three of the most fun shows I've ever seen. They're so personable and funny and have such a good rapport with each other and their fans. Dare I say it...possibly three of the most likeable guys in music.
Old 03-28-02, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv

I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one BenFolds. Guster is one of my favorite bands, and I find they have little to nothing in common with DMB. I'd call 'em a modern day Simon & Garfunkel (with much better percussion) if anything. I've seen them live three times, and they are three of the most fun shows I've ever seen. They're so personable and funny and have such a good rapport with each other and their fans. Dare I say it...possibly three of the most likeable guys in music.
I completely agree. I've seen them live, and they were great. I've heard nothing but good things about their live shows. And while a lot of people that like DMB like Guster, I dont think they are anything like DMB except for the fact that both bands are pretty original. But Guster is one of my favorite bands, and the members of the band are really cool people.

Last edited by sebastianv50; 03-28-02 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-28-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17

I think this is probably the most famous band listed here.
Why hasn't anybody else piped up about them besides you and me?
Old 03-28-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fantomas. forgot about them...only the cool people know about them.

and, even though I said before, I can't stress it enough

www.shonuff.com

these guys are gonna hit it big soon...
Old 03-28-02, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
Fantomas. forgot about them...only the cool people know about them.

and, even though I said before, I can't stress it enough

www.shonuff.com

these guys are gonna hit it big soon...
I must be cool. I have both of their cds. I heard they are releasing 2 this year. Mike Patton Rules!
Old 03-29-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by lordzeppelin
There's this band called creed...just kidding, I hate them.

Anyways...

Shonuff- a great band that just can't seem to get noticed... www.shonuff.com

Too Tall Jones- still newer, and rocking hard as hell- new album soon- www.tootalljones.com

Dharma Sons- my favorite local band, but not the best of the lot=
www.dharmasons.com

Mudkids- the best damn indie rappers I've EVER heard. Based out of Indianapolis...and movin west. I don't know their website anymore...

Brownie Mary- not too shabby, may be picking up sooner than a lot of people think...

Oh yeah...and the Red Elvises- these guys KICK ASS- www.redelvises.com

and the Go To Hells...can't seem to find any info at the current moment on them
Pittsburgh music rocks. Anyone interested in sampling a lot of local artists check out
this CD for $15 you get lot great local music.

Other bands i like that I don't hear on the radio(maybe you do):
Jennifer Listen
Virgos Merlot
OAR(Of a Revolution)
Old 03-29-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Butterfly Child
Phenomenal -- I love his records, especially the first two EPs and Onomatopoeia.
Old 03-29-02, 11:27 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Aslan
Something Happens
Old 03-29-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Polyphonic Spree...awe inspiring Symphoni Pop Band from Dallas, TX, led by former frontman of Tripping Daisy. Give em a listen!

www.thepolyphonicspree.com

...And you will know us by the Trail of Dead -- "Source Tags and Codes" Great Cd!

Centro-Matic...any cd by this band is WORTH getting!

email me if you to discuss:
[email protected]
Old 03-29-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This thread reminds me of a song called "Pop Songs Your Boyfriend's Too Stupid To Know About," which is by a band not too many people know -- Tullycraft.

To the poster who mentioned Rasputina: thanks for the heads-up on their new album. Not sure if I'll wait for reviews before I pick it up or not, since I didn't like their first album, but love the second one.
Old 03-30-02, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Morf

I've heard of them. I'm actually from Genoa (10 miles from DeKalb).
me too i went to NIU
Old 03-30-02, 12:44 PM
Rob

One of my favorite bands is virtually unknown, Big Wreck. They had a semi-popular video on MTV in 1997 called "The Oaf". But I guess their popularity ended there, as today's fans aren't looking for a cross between Zepplin and Soundgarden. But they are a bunch of very talented musicians (another quality not sought after these days) with very catchy tunes. Their self-titled CD gets my vote for Top 5 of the 90's. Their latest, "The Pleasure and The Greed" was released last year.
Old 01-04-07, 10:12 PM

*Bump*

Havana 3AM - I'm really hooked on their only Cd. Features Paul Simonon formerly of the Clash on bass. I'm not sure who the singer is but I like his voice and the lyrics are pretty good. The standout songs: Life on the Line, The Hardest Game, Hole in the Sky, What About Your Future?
Old 01-04-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
*Bump*

Havana 3AM - I'm really hooked on their only Cd. Features Paul Simonon formerly of the Clash on bass. I'm not sure who the singer is but I like his voice and the lyrics are pretty good. The standout songs: Life on the Line, The Hardest Game, Hole in the Sky, What About Your Future?

The Singer/Guitarist is Gary Myrick. "Reach The Rock" was the single off that album, and always the song I remember best by them. The album didn't sell very well, and drummer Nigel Dixon died a couple years after it's release in 1993. Simonon departed soon after to a career of art. Gary Myrick actually put out one more album, billed as "Gary Myrick & Havana 3am" - Texas Glitter & Tombstone Tales (1996) - with different line-up but it was also unsuccessful and the band broke up shortly after. It wasn't nearly as good as the debut, either.
Old 01-05-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Robert Randolph & the Family Band.

I know they are semi "known" but Randolph is a GOD of the Pedal Steel and still gets no love.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.