Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands nobody has heard of

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bands nobody has heard of

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure somebody has heard of them - but a band (New England - from Boston) that I liked as a kid was The Neighborhoods.
Old 01-15-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Space Cossacks
Servotron
Ghost
Old 01-15-07, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I worked their first two records when I was at Geffen. Their 2nd record was a huge priority, but never took off. I got laid off not soon after.
I actually own all three That Dog albums.

However, I didn't get any of them until I found them cheap at a used CD store years after they were released.

Sorry I got you laid off.
Old 01-17-07, 08:01 PM
Banned

Lemon Sun. I have been a fan of theirs for awhile

http://www.myspace.com/lemonsun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gqzeiB5EE
Old 01-17-07, 08:31 PM

OHM- their main thing is that Chris Poland from Megadeth is in it, but they're like a crazy jazz fusion band that is AMAZING live.

No one I know has even heard of Viva Voce (though they're not super underground or anything), and they're one of my favorites. I think I have a weak spot for husband/wife bands. Also Loop!Station is pretty ace, and I love the Milkshakes who didn't really get the shake (ha!) they deserved.

Bobby Bare Jr's band is awesome, they are FANTASTIC live!

Any "old school" Weezer/The Rentals fan worth their salt loves That Dog! C'mon man!
Old 01-17-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback
I'm sure somebody has heard of them - but a band (New England - from Boston) that I liked as a kid was The Neighborhoods.

Well, being form New England, I've not only heard of them, but also own a few of their CD's. The did a pretty decent cover of Cheap Trick's "Southern Girls", too.
Old 01-17-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by project86
Mewithoutyou Odd band, but extremely intelligent and perfect live show.
Copeland I'm sure a few of you know them
Thornley Typical hard rock band, but has some awesome melodies and harmonies.
Project 86 I doubt any of you would like them. Amazing lyricist, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Their last 2 albums aren't their best, but Drawing Black Lines, Truthless heroes are amazing.
Funny you should mention Thornley, as one of the original posts here was about Big Wreck. After their demise, that's the band lead singer Ian Thronely formed - although they went a bit of nowhere, too, even though the music was still good.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 01-17-07 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know the drummer from Johnny Socko....good band!

I also remember the Neighborhoods from my days in Boston. Speaking of Boston, Big Dipper was a great local band that never really took off nationally (except some college radio play) Chucklehead was great, too.

My favorite band that "nobody" has heard of is The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy Check out the link for some free downloads. Some good ones: Partytime, She's On Drugs, Girlfriend, Big Saturday, Soul Happy Hour

There's also 30 second clips of 30 of their tracks.
Old 01-18-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll put a plug in for a local band with a solid history:

Misty Blues

Lead singer was the lead singer for years with Cole-Connection (who's "Birch Tree Sonnets" is one of my all time favorite independent releases - shame it's out of print). I'm hoping to see Misty next Friday. Here's there site:

http://mistyblues.org/index.html

-Gunshy
Old 01-18-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Scheherazade
Rasputina - I've seen them described as gothic electric-cello rock, but it's really hard to classify them... defenitely worth checking out and they have a new album coming out the 9th!

I don't know anyone hardly who knows about them, they seem to be a hit with Bjork/Tori Amos fans though.

http://www.rasputina.com

~Scheherazade
Normally I'd hate their kind of ("gothic electric-cello rock") but Rasputina are very good
Old 01-18-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Awesome band.
Old 01-19-07, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Wow, this is a cool thread. I used to think my favorite band Man or Astro-man? was unheard of by most people, but they are mainstream compared to many of the ones on here.
if you like Man or Astro-Man then you definitely should be listening to the completely overlooked "Causey Way". They're no longer really doing anything and some of the members have moved on. Most notably Joaquin Pheonix's Sister Rain Pheonix who is now in the Paper Cranes. Anyhow they're kickass so check em out http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php
Old 01-19-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out the Sword "Age of Winters". Killer riffs.

I starting to really like, if not love Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. They put on a killer live performance.
Old 01-20-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CPR (Crosby,Pevar & Raymond) - David Crosby's band that he formed with his son and guitarist Jeff Pevar has put out some of the best music of Crosby's career and has received very little attention. They have kind of a CSN/Steely Dan vibe.
Old 01-20-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
if you like Man or Astro-Man then you definitely should be listening to the completely overlooked "Causey Way". They're no longer really doing anything and some of the members have moved on. Most notably Joaquin Pheonix's Sister Rain Pheonix who is now in the Paper Cranes. Anyhow they're kickass so check em out http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php
Their debut is available on eMusic. An absolutely awesome album and band. Thanks for the great tip.

BTW, someone else mentioned the Sword and I also love that band. Great throwback to the old 80s metal sound.
Old 01-29-07, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Their debut is available on eMusic. An absolutely awesome album and band. Thanks for the great tip.
My pleasure man. Hey sorry I hadn't checked this thread for a bit but I wanted to make sure you liked Causey Way before mentioning the band that Causey is currently fronting. Since you like the Causey Way you'll definitely like Causey in "Pilot Scott Tracy" They have three full length albums to date, awesome stuff.
Old 01-29-07, 11:46 AM

boyhitscar

www.boyhitscar.com

currently my favorite band out there
Old 01-29-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I probably posted on this thread like 2 years ago, but anyways here an iTines store link to The Four Eyes: here
Old 01-29-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
crap, i meant iTunes
Old 02-05-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Ocean Colour Scene
These guys have been around for over 15 years, are one of my favorite bands of all time and put on a hell of a live show.
They're kinda melodic like the Beatles, but a lot more rockin' with riff-heavy guitars, though they also have quite a few mellow acoustic numbers.
Check 'em out - they have like 8 albums and about a billion B-sides just as good as any album tracks.

Mute Math
Melodic alternative rock, not unlike Coldplay, only without being as lame and gay as Coldplay.

Drunk Horse
These guys just fuckin' ROCK, plain and simple.
Old 02-05-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bearsuit
Final Fantasy
Old 02-05-07, 11:25 PM

back when I was in Boston four or five years ago, I went to the CD release party for a band called Three Day Threshold. They are fan-fucking-tastic. A blend of roots punk country bluegrass southern rock. I still listen to that album all of the time.

A couple of female vocalists that I like but never hear anything about are Heidi Saperstein and Emiliana Torrini. The Devil I Once Knew, and Love in the Time of Science are both great albums.
Old 02-06-07, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,142 Posts
Back in the '92 there was an African American Rock band called "Eye & I" with a gorgeous and talented female Lead Singer named Dk Dyson. They did a killer cover of Velvet Underground's "Venus in Furs".

Anyway they only did one album then broke up. I loved them then and I wish they'd get back together.

Yet another obscure band no one's heard of

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-06-07 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-09-07, 12:18 AM

Astrobrite (this is some serious fuzz/shoegaze, makes my ears bleed and smile)
Rocketship
Tenniscoats
Lovesliescrushing

Last edited by cfloyd3; 02-10-07 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I worked their first two records when I was at Geffen.
Sorry for the delayed response, but that's awesome. "Retreat from the Sun" (admittedly not part of your tenure ) ranks in my top 10 favorite albums of all time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.