Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Most ENCHANTING Song you've ever heard ?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Most ENCHANTING Song you've ever heard ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
I have 3 guilty pleasures:

Glen Phillips - "Maya"
The Cars - "Drive"
Breathe - "Hands to Heaven"

<--------------------- NERD!
I can go with "Drive" by The Cars too, I will add Heart's "These Dreams" -- sorry, I am a sucker for Nancy Wilson's raspy vocals, among the other assets she brings to the table.

edit: I had it right...
"These Dreams" differed from past Heart hits in that it was a polished, pop power ballad. The song also marked the first Heart single on which lead vocals were performed by Nancy Wilson instead of Ann Wilson. According to The Billboard Book of Number One Hits by Fred Bronson, when it came time for Nancy Wilson to record her vocal, she was suffering from a cold and her voice sounded somewhat raspy and gravelly. After the song reached its peak of success, producers reportedly wanted Nancy to recreate the gravelly sound on future recordings, asking her, "Can't you just get sick again?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/These_Dreams

Last edited by wishbone; 11-01-07 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 811 Posts
Promentory - From the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack.
Old 11-01-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not sure I really understand the question. If you're asking, "What song transports you to a magical fairy-tale kingdom?" then the only answer I can give is something by the Cocteau Twins.

If you're asking what songs captivates you in such a way that you keep listening to it, then the list is way too long. Usually when I get "into" a song, I will play it and re-play it endlessly. I remember in college working on projects and having one song on for hours, on repeat.
Old 11-01-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I remember in college working on projects and having one song on for hours, on repeat.
Ugh, I had someone below my dorm room that would put songs like Ace of Base's "All That She Wants" and US3's "Cantaloop" on repeat for an hour or so...
Old 11-01-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
"Captain Bring Me Down" by Danger Danger. I've always just felt it was a hauntingly beautiful type of ballad and I get completely mesmerized by it.
Old 11-01-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm not sure I really understand the question. If you're asking, "What song transports you to a magical fairy-tale kingdom?" then the only answer I can give is something by the Cocteau Twins.

If you're asking what songs captivates you in such a way that you keep listening to it, then the list is way too long. Usually when I get "into" a song, I will play it and re-play it endlessly. I remember in college working on projects and having one song on for hours, on repeat.

Iceblink Luck
can get pretty mesmerizing the first couple of times you listen to it.
Old 11-02-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrickfergus by Charlotte Church. For some reason, I blast it, and it gives me chills.
Old 11-02-07, 08:11 AM

Pearl Jam - Black
A Perfect Circle - The Noose
Gorillaz - El Manana
The Beatles - Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight
Old 11-02-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I must throw two Enya songs into this discussion - "Caribbean Blue" and "Lothlorien."

Mr. Flix
Old 11-10-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enya - Only Time (remix)
Old 11-11-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
When I think of enchanting, I think of the song they played whenever they were at the shire in Lord Of The Rings.
In that vein:

Enya - May it be

Annie Lennox - Into the west

The Road Goes Ever On..Part I

The Grey Havens
Old 11-11-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't think of any single songs that really stand out.

However, I second the Cocteau Twins vote.

I would also add The Durutti Column's catalogue.

EDIT: some tracks are coming to mind...

Dead Can Dance - The Host of Seraphim
This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren

Last edited by Nausicaa; 11-11-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
"Captain Bring Me Down" by Danger Danger. I've always just felt it was a hauntingly beautiful type of ballad and I get completely mesmerized by it.
Seconded!
YAY! Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew this. ha ha.

add Warrant's "Stronger Now" to the list of enchanting hair metal songs
Old 11-11-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nausicaa
This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren
Winner. I dare you to listen and not be enchanted.

Old 11-11-07, 07:50 PM

A few songs:
CRYSTAL BLUE PERSUASION by Tommy James and the Shondells

STORMY by Dennis Yost and the Classics IV

DON'T LET THE SUN CATCH YOU CRYING by Gerry and the Pacemakers

ORINOCO FLOW by Enya

FREE by Deneice Willams
Old 11-11-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Bill Lloyd's cover of "The Lottery Song" on the Nilsson tribute record, For the Love of Harry.

"Think About Your Troubles," also by Nilsson from The Point.
Old 11-11-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/go8Jc5Fx71I&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/go8Jc5Fx71I&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The (unofficial) video's a bit shit, but it gives you a chance to hear the song if you haven't before. "Olsen Olsen" by Sigur Ros.

Slowdive's "Allison" is has a similar effect on me:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ol787NjpBS4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ol787NjpBS4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Nick Drake's amazing "Northern Sky"
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oitSlHi3MY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oitSlHi3MY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Band of Horses: "Great Salt Lake" is a beautiful song:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TshWB77-7M4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TshWB77-7M4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Boards of Canada "Dayvan Cowboy", also a damned cool video:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lrBZeWjGjl8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lrBZeWjGjl8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by Hiro11; 11-11-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts
"Good Day" from ZARD is a recent discovery. R.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6oqjMuby6U
Old 11-12-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Hiro11, great call on Sigur Rós and Boards of Canada. I'd also add Alexandre Desplat's work on the Syriana soundtrack and Yann Tiersen.
Old 11-12-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turborobb
Seconded!
YAY! Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew this. ha ha.

add Warrant's "Stronger Now" to the list of enchanting hair metal songs
Awesome! I thought, once again, I'd be standing with my hair metal against the wind of derision from the music masses. I'm glad to see I'm on the side of right with at least one more person. "Captain Bring Me Down" was from their classic "comeback" with Paul Laine, but in the return to rocking for D2, that incredible track was somewhat overlooked I think.

I haven't listened to Ultraphobic in ages. I do remember "Stronger Now" as one of the few tracks I enjoyed. I should go back and revisit and see if my opinions changed. (I originally thought "These Days", "Native Tongue", and "Slang" were bad albums too because they didn't sound like the band that put them out but grew to love them, so I'll give that one a fresh listen too.)

OK, lemme stop waxing philosophic on hair metal before I dominate this thread with OT discussion.

Back on topic:
I don't know about "enchanting" so much, but Prince writes some deep lyrics and slow, smooth melodies that put you in a trance while you're recreating the story in your head (when he's not busy writing sex lyrics or suing fans). "Sometimes It Snows In April" from Parade and "Another Lonely Christmas", the B-side to "I Would Die 4 U", also from his The Hits/The B-Sides album. Both create some images of intense personal loss that again, are very emotive, almost beautiful in their expression of that sadness.
Old 11-15-07, 02:28 AM

What exactly is the definition of 'enchanting'? How would it be different from 'mesmerising' or 'spellbinding'?? I dont quite know...

Maybe something from Enya? No rock song could be called 'enchanting'. Thats just too hilarious
Old 11-15-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 958 Likes on 676 Posts
This will sound silly but "Rainbow Connection."
Old 11-15-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Since quite a few posts went with Dead Can Dance, I will pick De Profundis (in fact the whole Spleen and Ideal cd is quite incredible)