Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Duran Duran - Red Carpet Massacre

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I'm only one listen into the new album and it's really speaking to me.

Now, I'm a big Duran fan, seen them nearing ten times in concert, but was a bit reticent about this album after hearing that Justin Timberlake and Timbaland were so involved. You see, I'm not into the kids' music.

But, damn, if this isn't some sweet electronica with a modern edge. Hard-driving dance beats, analogue-style synth stabs and sweeps, and some catchy R&B/Funk undertones, all surrounding Duran's trademark melodies, of course. Hell, there's even a synth instrumental. How New Wave is that?!

I'm still wrapping my head around it, but I haven't been this impressed on an initial album listening for some time. Pretty amazing stuff for a bunch of guys approaching 50. Heck, if all of today's music was this good, I might actually listen to some of it.

As a treat, here's a YouTube clip of "Warm Leatherette", part of a very cool New Wave/Electronic tribute they recently did in concert. Note the Kraftwerkian approach (they also did Kraftwerk's "Showroom Dummies" as part of the medley):

Old 11-13-07, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big Duran fan aswell, really looking forward to the new album. I've heard "Nite Runner" and "Falling Down" and I like both alot.
I have ordered the LE of the new album as I order the special versions of all Duran CDs.
In the UK it comes out next Monday so I have to wait.
Old 11-13-07, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't listened to it yet, but don't they have a video with a bunch of nekkid chicks ala Girls On Film?
Old 11-13-07, 11:00 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Haven't listened to it yet, but don't they have a video with a bunch of nekkid chicks ala Girls On Film?
Yeah, that's for their new single FALLING DOWN. I just bought my copy of RED CARPET MASSACRE about an hour ago and I love this album! It's such a great blend of old school DURAN DURAN new wave and current dance pop/rock. The title track has so much energy it just drives me nuts...in a good way.
Old 11-13-07, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been a big fan since 1982. My first concert was seeing Duran Duran on their 7 and the Ragged Tiger tour in '84. I was a little worried when I heard they were working with Timbaland, but as Matt mentioned, this new album is a great mix of old and new. I've only listened to it twice but I'm really digging it so far. I hope they go on a big tour next year in support of this. I'd love to see/hear that "electro" set live.
Old 11-13-07, 01:16 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty disappointed in this one. It sounds absolutely nothing like a Duran Duran album, rather a generic Timbaland/Danja album with Simon on vocals. I don't hear any of the hooks, none of the classic Duran synth sound, nothing. At best, it sounds very very forced.

I was very looking forward to this one - especially after the excellent "Astronaut" - but I'm calling a miss. Certainly not the worst album they've ever made, but a huge disappointment.
Old 11-13-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm. I thought Astronaut was pretty weak.
Old 11-13-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the video for the first single, "Falling Down". Lots of scantily clad model types, but no nudity that I can see. There's probably an uncensored version, ala GOF:

Last edited by Numanoid; 11-13-07 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just started listening.... pretty catch so far! never thought they'd pull it off again.
Old 11-14-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While listening to the first two songs I thought this was going to end up being their best album since Rio (Seven and the Ragged Tiger only has a couple of decent songs). The majority of the new album is just okay, but still better than most of their post 80's work. I would have released "The Valley" as the first single, though.
Old 11-14-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Hmmm. I thought Astronaut was pretty weak.
Weak!? You're too kind. I thought it out right sucked.

I was SO turned off when I heard Timbaland and Timberlake were attached to this album. But I've been reading some great things about it so I'm going to give it a try.
Old 11-14-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First time through: I hated it.
Second time through: I liked it well enough.
Third time through: I LOVED it and started playing it again right away.

It grew on me pretty quickly.

PS I loved Astronaut.
Old 11-14-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Listened a few times now. The second half of the album didn't really move me the first few times through, but now I'm liking those songs even more than the first half. Definitely a grower. The only song I'm not into at all is the last cut. Oh well, 11 out of 12 is a bloody good ratio.
Old 11-15-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Wow, this album is REALLY good! More of an electronic feel than I expected. I'm on my second listen all the way through and I there's not a single track on it I hate. Thumbs way up.