Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What is Punk rock?

Old 03-08-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what are your favorite punk bands?

Originally posted by slop101

I guess it depends on how you define "punk". Speaking strictly of music type, then yes they are both punk (one good, one not so good).

But if you take in everything that can come together to mean "punK" then no, Blink is not punk.

Just ask yourself this question:

Which time period was it tougher to market a punk band? the late 70s or the late 90s?

What I mean by this is that being a punk band in the 70s was a lot more "against the grain" and "anti-establishment", or rather, punk, than it is now.

How mind-blowing would it have been if MTV played a Black Flag video in '82?
Let's not fool ourselves too much. Most of the 70's punk bands were signed to major labels. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash and many even got radio airplay. I realize that KROQ may be the exception, but they were playing bands like Black Flag, Bad Religion, etc. back in the early 80's. There's no doubt that a lot of these bands wanted exposure too.

And, if you're one of those people that think punk is more than just the music, then I can't really debate with you. Because that's all punk is and has ever been for me... the music. I've been listening to punk for over 8 years.. close to 9. I love it... But it is no more apart of my life than any other music genre I like.
Old 03-08-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 290 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what are your favorite punk bands?

Originally posted by DodgingCars

Let's not fool ourselves too much. Most of the 70's punk bands were signed to major labels. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash and many even got radio airplay. I realize that KROQ may be the exception, but they were playing bands like Black Flag, Bad Religion, etc. back in the early 80's. There's no doubt that a lot of these bands wanted exposure too.

And, if you're one of those people that think punk is more than just the music, then I can't really debate with you. Because that's all punk is and has ever been for me... the music. I've been listening to punk for over 8 years.. close to 9. I love it... But it is no more apart of my life than any other music genre I like.
Let me also put it this way:

Since I grew up in So.Cal. I've been to more than a few punk shows in the early 80s (Black Flag, Descendents, Dead Kennedies, Bad Religion) and at each show there'd be an umistakable "punk vibe" be it slam dancing/moshing or just the attitude of the band and everyone at the shows - something that was a huge part of the scene, but really hard to describe.
I haven't seen Blink live. Will I experience this kind of thing at their shows?
Old 03-08-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what are your favorite punk bands?

Getting played on regional radio in those days was no great feat.

And being on an indie in those days was not an option. There was NO support base for punk groups in the late '70s on independent labels. You would fall through the cracks. There weren't national indie booking agencies, or agents, or clubs. Nothing. You had to go through the major labels.
Old 03-08-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what are your favorite punk bands?

Let me also put it this way:

Since I grew up in So.Cal. I've been to more than a few punk shows in the early 80s (Black Flag, Descendents, Dead Kennedies, Bad Religion) and at each show there'd be an umistakable "punk vibe" be it slam dancing/moshing or just the attitude of the band and everyone at the shows - something that was a huge part of the scene, but really hard to describe.
I haven't seen Blink live. Will I experience this kind of thing at their shows?
Well, seeing that the only time I ever saw Blink play was back in about 95 before they were Blink 182 and they were playing with tons of other bands... both punk and ska.. I couldn't really say. And seeing that I never went to shows in the 80's and only saw the Descendents and Bad Religion as early as about 95, I wouldn't know how 90's punk shows differed from 80's punk shows.

But, it has been my experience, that there wasn't any major difference between seeing a bands like Descendents and Sum 41.

Yancey,

My point was that being played on the Radio and being signed to a major label wasn't very anti-establishment. And, I'm sure the bands didn't mind the exposure. As far as having to be signed to a major label. I don't know enough about the DIY movement to comment.
Old 03-09-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hahah, you'll get as much of a 'punk vibe' going to a Blink 182 show as you'd get a 'rastafarian vibe' going to a Yanni concert.
Old 03-09-02, 08:25 PM

When Blink toured with Bad Religion there was a "punk vibe" to the show. Last year when they were with Midtown/NFG there was not one at all. This year I look forward to seeing them with Green Day although I don't think the show will have a very "punk vibe" to it.
Old 03-09-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by travis_bickle
When Blink toured with Bad Religion there was a "punk vibe" to the show. Last year when they were with Midtown/NFG there was not one at all. This year I look forward to seeing them with Green Day although I don't think the show will have a very "punk vibe" to it.
Yeah, I could totally feel the 'punk vibe' when I saw nothing but a sea of 15 year old girls in Hurley shirts standing motionless with their arms folded OR having their backs turned to the show talking to their friends while BR was playing.
Old 03-11-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think some sneaky mod moved all the posts from that thread into this thread because it wasn't on topic.

The only bad thing is that it makes me look like one of those damn retards or newbies who heard sum 41 on the radio and are now asking what punk is.
Old 03-11-02, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by DTSC
I think some sneaky mod moved all the posts from that thread into this thread because it wasn't on topic.

The only bad thing is that it makes me look like one of those damn retards or newbies who heard sum 41 on the radio and are now asking what punk is.
Old 03-11-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I just don't know what a punk vibe is. And I've been to shows like DI, the Misfits, and Stiff Little Fingers. And certainly they bring a different crowd than a Blink 182 or New Found Glory show would bring... but I don't know what a punk vibe is?

Is a punk vibe when guys cleverly wear their punk uniform? Or when guys are really tough and push you out of the way so they can get to the pit faster? Or is it starting a riot cause the venue owner oversold the show and the fire marshall had to close it down? Is it neo-nazi hand salutes?

I don't go to shows (of any kind) to be a part of any scene. I never have. I go to see bands I like play.

If punk is about being an a-hole in funny clothes... then yeah.. there is probably a lot less of a punk-vibe at a Blink concert than say.. a DI or Fear show.
Old 03-11-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe I just don't know what a punk vibe is. And I've been to shows like DI, the Misfits, and Stiff Little Fingers. And certainly they bring a different crowd than a Blink 182 or New Found Glory show would bring... but I don't know what a punk vibe is?

Is a punk vibe when guys cleverly wear their punk uniform? Or when guys are really tough and push you out of the way so they can get to the pit faster? Or is it starting a riot cause the venue owner oversold the show and the fire marshall had to close it down? Is it neo-nazi hand salutes?

I don't go to shows (of any kind) to be a part of any scene. I never have. I go to see bands I like play.

If punk is about being an a-hole in funny clothes... then yeah.. there is probably a lot less of a punk-vibe at a Blink concert than say.. a DI or Fear show.
Now that that you mention it, yeah, a big part of being punk is pissing people off - with either music, or attitude. And that alone is what a lot of "punkers" get off on.
Old 08-18-02, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by jim_cook87

The Clash was punk.

Calling The Clash punk is just a debatable as calling Nirvana punk.
Old 08-18-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ACK! This thread is back!
Old 08-18-02, 05:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

In fact, it's the result of a major merger as well as the assimilation of that orphan, off-topic post from zak52! History tends to repeat itself hereabouts
Old 08-18-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Download "Punk Rock" by Mogwai. It has a speech by Iggy Pop through out the track.
Old 08-18-02, 11:26 PM

Punk Rock Music

I think this song, "Punk Rock Music", explains a lot of what is punk:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/2348/2348921.html

That said, what's emo?
Old 08-19-02, 12:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Click the smiley!]

Originally posted by kmanjamz
That said, what's emo?
Emo?
Old 08-19-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: [Click the smiley!]

Originally posted by benedict
Emo?
eno is consitered emo punk read here for more info
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=149432
Old 08-19-02, 04:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Not that it matters but....

<small>
Originally posted by Rypro 525
eno is consitered emo punk read here for more info
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=149432
</small>.... did you read the title of that post of mine you quoted? Didja? Didja?

Old 08-19-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry, i didnt read the click the smilie part
Old 08-19-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you can make a living off your music, you're not punk.

Last edited by slop101; 08-19-02 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you can make a living off your music, you're not punk.
Then, if you're punk.. I guess you make bad music that no one likes???
Old 08-19-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Essentially, yes!
Old 08-20-02, 09:47 PM

SOCIAL DISTORTION
Old 08-21-02, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then, if you're punk.. I guess you make bad music that no one likes???
Well, the Embarrasment never was able to make enough money to live off of and they freaking rock!!! I beleive they were the only punk band from Wichita that decided to sign. That was only because so many people wanted their music, they couldn't homebrew enough copies, which I believe is the situation with most bands. The old Wichita punk scene can be considered to be the one of the only true punk scenes because unless you lived in Wichita, you probably never heard of these bands but yet they were great. They weren't about making demos for record companies, they were about making music and they only recorded stuff so their friends can play it whenever they are not playing it.

The best story I have ever heard from a friend who was an original Wichita punker was about one of his friends renting this house but he had to move out because his landlord told him that they were going to demolish the house in a week. So his friend threw a party in the house and had a few local punk bands play there. Everyone smashed all the walls and such and on the top story and my friend and others grabbed this couch and threw it out through a window on the top story of the 2-story house. They thought it was so cool that they ran downstairs and picked up the couch so they could it do it again. They did it I beleive a total of 4 times or so before the couch was just completely ruined. Cops came by and was wondering what was going on. They explained the situation and the cops just went outside and watched as the house was just about to crumble down. The roof was torn apart, there were no walls standing, and you could see inside the house through every side of the house. The next day, the story made the front page and the landlord read it and blew up. The landlord just wanted the punker to move out of his house and just wanted him to leave soon and also, the landlord had another renter ready to move in. Now that is punk, at least Wichita punk. If it was "true hardcore punk" they would have done that party with them knowing someone else was going to move in. Then again, "true communism" has never been acheived, either. (just a cool story to share, sorry and I got D's in Spelling all of my life.)