Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The official new Rush album and upcoming tour thread.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The official new Rush album and upcoming tour thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-02, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a Rush fan (favorite band) from WAY back (late 70's). Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority when I say this, but I haven't cared for their music after Signals. The last album I bought from them was Power Windows. Everything after Moving Pictures just lacked the energy and power of their earlier stuff (like Hemispheres, 2112, Permanent Waves).

So, my question is, how are their tours nowadays. Amazingly, I've never seen them live, and I wonder how much of the older stuff they play.

BTW, yes, they are the greatest band ever!
Old 02-22-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DarkElf
I'm a Rush fan (favorite band) from WAY back (late 70's). Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority when I say this, but I haven't cared for their music after Signals. The last album I bought from them was Power Windows. Everything after Moving Pictures just lacked the energy and power of their earlier stuff (like Hemispheres, 2112, Permanent Waves).

So, my question is, how are their tours nowadays. Amazingly, I've never seen them live, and I wonder how much of the older stuff they play.

BTW, yes, they are the greatest band ever!
There are LOTS of people like you out there, they tend to stop after Signals.

Here is a set list from the Test for Echo tour:

Dreamline
Limelight
Stick It Out
Driven
Half The World
Red Barchetta
Animate
Limbo
The Trees
Virtuality
Nobody's Hero
Closer To The Heart
2112 (The whole fricking thing!)

-break-

Test For Echo
Freewill
Red Sector A
Roll The Bones
Resist
Leave That Thing Alone
Neil's drum solo
Natural Science
Force Ten
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
YYZ

On the counterparts tour they played Zanadu and the first part of Hemispheres.

Last edited by Lateralus; 02-22-02 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-22-02, 05:12 PM

I only know about half of those...

Well, I really ought to see my favorite band of all time, regardless.
Old 02-22-02, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i also think anything after signals was just ok, just hope they do get back to what made there music great i.e huge book like songs broken up into chapters and so on.
Old 02-23-02, 04:03 AM

It was more than just that. It was the energy in their songs back then. Even short songs like The Trees, or Fly By Night totally kicked ass.
Old 02-23-02, 08:00 AM

yeah i agree the short stuff was great also, a few of my personal best include,

rivendell
lake side park
a farwell to kings
something for nothing
twilight zone
circumstances
the trees
freewill
Old 02-23-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DarkElf
It was more than just that. It was the energy in their songs back then. Even short songs like The Trees, or Fly By Night totally kicked ass.
totally agree. The Trees and YYZ are my two favorite songs of theirs.

I too hope that this one will be better than TFE. It's just not as timeless as their early stuff of which I can never tire.
Old 03-10-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Album Information:

WDHA radio in Jersey, just had a big wig from Atlantic records live on the air to talk about Rush.
He said the name of the record is Vapor Trail, the single will likely be a song called 'Little Victory', the band is set to perform at the PNC arts center in Jersey on July 11 th.
He said the sound is quite heavy, but very fresh and exciting. He also said you could tall that the boys have listened to a lot of heavy rock. He mentioned Tool and older U2 type rock.
He said the WDHA would be the first station to carry the single, which is due in week two of April and the final release date for the album is May 16th???
Old 03-13-02, 09:07 PM

It's official:
Vapor Trails
Old 03-14-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Hannibal
It's official:
Vapor Trails
Woo Hoo great news and thanks for the link. The first single should be out in April, and then on MP-3 and then tour, Woo Hoo!
Old 03-15-02, 12:52 AM

From http://www.worldwidewebtour.com/~trc...shnewspage.htm

March 14th, 2002 - From Billboard.com:
Rush's 'Vapor Trails due out in May

Canadian power trio Rush has set a May 14 release date for its upcoming Anthem/Atlantic album, "Vapor Trails." As previously reported, the set was recorded in Toronto, with band members Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart serving as producers and longtime collaborator Paul Northfield engineering. A North American tour in support of "Vapor Trails" is expected to begin in June.

The new album, the follow-up to 1996's "Test for Echo," features 13 tracks. Opener "One Little Victory" is described by the label as "propulsive," while "Sweet Miracle" is said to be "emotive," and "How It Is" has been deemed "kinetic." A first single has not yet been announced.

"Test for Echo" was a No. 5 hit on The Billboard 200, with its title track vaulting to No. 1 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and "Half the World" reaching No. 6 on the same tally. "Different Stages," a three-CD live album spanning shows from 1978, 1994, and 1997, bowed at No. 35 on The Billboard 200 in November 1998. Lee released his Atlantic solo debut, "My Favorite Headache," in December 2000.

Here is the tracklist for "Vapor Trails":

One Little Victory
Peaceable Kingdom
Ghost Rider
Ceiling Unlimited
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Vapor Trail
Out of the Cradle
Earthshine
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne
Freeze (Part IV of 'Fear')
Secret Touch

------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 14th, 2002 - From JAM! Music:

Rush finishes recording new album

Canadian rock icons Rush have wrapped up recording sessions for their first album of new material in more than half a decade.

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart are now mixing the still untitled album, which is scheduled to be in stores in "early spring", the band's label, Anthem/Universal, announced late Tuesday. It will be the trio's first new studio release since "Test For Echo" in September 1996.

As reported earlier, Rush's 17th studio album is being produced by the band with friend and engineer Paul Northfield, whose resume includes work with Hole and Marilyn Manson.

In a posting last fall on his official website (www.geddylee.net), Lee described the sessions as an experiment, but added that much of their time together on the project was spent getting reacquainted after a five-year hiatus.

"We have been working in an environment that allows us to keep some of the more spontaneous moments that occur during writing and blend them with a more rehearsed and typical style of production," Lee said in his message.

"It took a while for us to get to the point where we felt what we were producing was fresh enough and of the quality that we demand of ourselves."

The band had been inactive since its last performance, July 4, 1997 at Ottawa's Corel Centre, the final date in support of their "Test For Echo" album. Following that, Peart endured two tragedies: the death of his daughter in a car crash and the loss of his wife due to cancer, which triggered the group's open-ended hiatus. Peart has since remarried.

"This project is about so much more than us making a record," Lee told JAM! Senior Reporter, Paul Cantin, just after the band regrouped in a Toronto-area studio, almost exactly one year ago.

"It is about us coming back together. It is about the psychological health and welfare of all the people who have gone through a very difficult time ... I want it to happen, and I want it to happen in a very positive and natural way."
Old 03-16-02, 09:22 AM

BRAND NEW RUSH PHOTO

Old 03-16-02, 04:45 PM

Rush "Vapor Trails" CD to be in stores in May

After months of speculation (and some pretty
accurate Internet leaks), the Canadian power
trio's U.S. label, Atlantic, has announced the
new album is in fact called "Vapor Trails" and is
expected in stores in May.
Old 03-17-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Obligatory "RUSH IS THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME!!!"

Anyone seen the new cover art yet???
Old 03-17-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Foole
Obligatory "RUSH IS THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME!!!"

Anyone seen the new cover art yet???

Not yet, Somebody will post it when they get it.
Old 03-17-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More news, some of it overlaps:

MARCH 15, 2002
RUSH REVEAL
VAPOR TRAILS
TRIO'S FIRST ALL-NEW ALBUM IN 5 YEARS DUE
MAY 14TH

"ONE LITTLE VICTORY"
HITS ROCK RADIO IN APRIL

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR PLANNED FOR
SUMMER/FALL

Anthem/Universal Music Canada
Recording Group
Rush
has announced details of their eagerly awaited new album, VAPOR TRAILS. The 13-track collection, produced by Rush with engineer Paul Northfield (Marilyn Manson, Hole), is set for release on May 14, 2002.

VAPOR TRAILS sees the legendary power trio - Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart - redefining their intensely individualistic music, blending their famously complex dynamics with driving melodic hooks and a passionate, personal lyrical approach. Tracks like the kinetic "How It Is," the emotive "Sweet Miracle," and the propulsive album-opening "One Little Victory" are angular, atmospheric and altogether extraordinary. With the visionary new VAPOR TRAILS, Rush has taken a bold step forward, making it clear that one of rock 'n' roll's all-time great bands are more than just back, they're better than ever.

The album will be heralded by the single, "One Little Victory," slated to ship to rock radio outlets nationwide on March 29 . The band is currently finalizing plans for a major North American tour. Tentatively set to kick off in late June, the trek will mark Rush's first live performances since July 1997. The tour's first leg will be announced shortly.

VAPOR TRAILS is Rush's 17th studio recording, and their first all-new collection in over 5 years. The Canadian trio's 22 albums have virtually all been certified CRIA platinum-or-better, with cumulative worldwide sales of over 35 million. The band were inducted into the Juno Awards Hall of Fame in 1994, received the esteemed Order of Canada in 1997 and were given their own star on the Canadian Walk of Fame in 1999.

Finally the new rush album cover! Click here

Last edited by Lateralus; 03-17-02 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-18-02, 11:49 PM

I found this little image at the bottom of the www.rushchronicles.com discography section...might this be the cover art???

Old 03-19-02, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Foole
I found this little image at the bottom of the www.rushchronicles.com discography section...might this be the cover art???

It was on the front page of the now defunct websiste www.officalrush.com The website was owned by Anthem records but I belive it was bought for Anthem records so they could make the page for Rush. However, I believe they splitted ways and the offical Rush website is still up in the air.
Old 03-27-02, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new Rush Single is out there somewhere, my buddy sent me the link but it is now dead. I'm sure its at the regular places....
Old 03-27-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The song can be found here, it is in streaming media format and was taped off the radio so it's pretty rough.

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/victorydemo.html

Very heavy on the drums and guitars but I can't hear much else.
Old 03-27-02, 08:41 AM

Once, I took off work, waited in line for 5 hrs to meet Geddy Lee. When I got to the front of the line, my digital camara had run out of batteries!!!!!!
Old 03-27-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Doug Heffernan
Once, I took off work, waited in line for 5 hrs to meet Geddy Lee. When I got to the front of the line, my digital camara had run out of batteries!!!!!!
You must have felt like a idiot.
Old 03-29-02, 03:12 PM

Anyone wanna listen to the first single?

http://www.rushvaportrails.com
Old 03-29-02, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Hannibal
Anyone wanna listen to the first single?

http://www.rushvaportrails.com
Sounds awesome!! Good to hear that Geddy still has some of the higher registers of his voice left!
Old 03-29-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK I had to post this I want you to know that I don't feel this way, but this was said to me 2 days ago at work when listening to the radio. My coworker was commenting on how much he hates Rush, and he said Rush was the musical equivelant of a vasectomy(sp?). Now I don't feel this way, but I thought it was a coincidence that this was the first time I had seen this thread after he had said this. I am sorry if anyone was insulted, but I felt the need to post this.
P.S that is a cool cover. Back to your fun people.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.