Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Future of Music?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Future of Music?

When will pop music go away?

In the early 90s, grunge came (with help from Nirvana) and basicaly took out hair metal bands. Will something like this happen in the near future? What will that new music be like? When will the rap/metal era end?

I think rock will come back. But I think it will be more punk like. I don't know though. Thats why I'm asking you guys.

Please, anything but pop/hiphop. Something has to make a surge. Music never stays the same forever.

Joeboo

Side note: I think the new Foo Fighteres album could be what pushes us onward. I expect a lot from Dave Grohl and I think he could do something special.
Old 12-28-01, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the future of music, but I think I know the future of this thread -- a move to the music forum.

So that I'm actually adding content, when I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of the Future of Music Coalition, which doesn't exactly address your question yet is still worth checking out.
Old 12-28-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not all pop is Bad.

Music is starting to become good again. It goes in cycles, you see. Music is suck at the end of each decade into the first two years of the next. Then around the 2nd or 3rd year through about the 5th year of the decade some real gems come out.

I'm starting to see some real gems already: Juliana Theory, Gorillaz, The Waxwings, Idlewild, etc.

Oh, wrong forum
Old 12-29-01, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think rock will eventually come back; it always has. Its going to take something big though. I dont think any of these rock bands around today could do it. There's going to have to be a bunch of great bands around the same time. But it will happen eventually.
Old 12-29-01, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good music is already out there if you look for it. Don't rely on the radio to play much (if any) of it for you.
Old 12-31-01, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alot of people thought that The Strokes' album "Is this it?" was going to push rock back in the forefront and same with Pete Yorn's "musicforthemorningafter." Both really great albums but it didn't happen. I don't care if rock comes back because I like listening to indie music and tell people about how great the music is instead of the radio telling so. I have gotten like 20 people to buy Ozma's "Rock and Roll part III" and just spreading the word of bands like them is just great. Do I know where I am going with this, no I don't. I am stopping.
Old 12-31-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I keep thinking of Johnny Rotton. "There's no future."

Questions like this make me naucious. Yes, there will be a change and we will all rejoice. Then six months later, "When is this boring rock kick going to end?!?" And on and on.