Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one-and-only RIAA discussion thread [2001]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The one-and-only RIAA discussion thread [2001]

Old 10-03-01, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIAA shoots self in foot again, sues P2P networks

http://www.msnbc.com/news/637594.asp?cp1=1

They're trying to shut down services like Kazaa, Musiccity, etc.

When are these idiots going to learn that combating what they call "piracy" is a waste of time, effort and money and the more they do it the more difficult it will be to stop through the only place that really counts--people's pocketbooks?

Amazing.
Old 10-03-01, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
mp3's actually got me to buy some stuff I never would have, because I liked the song I had downloaded
Old 10-04-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be a shame when Morpheus gets shut down. I've gotten some good stuff off of there. Oh well, I'm sure that there will be something else.
Old 10-04-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
imesh, napigator

Originally posted by Alvis
It will be a shame when Morpheus gets shut down. I've gotten some good stuff off of there. Oh well, I'm sure that there will be something else.
Old 10-05-01, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I admit that when I hear about a new artist that I may be interested in I like to start up Morpheus and download a few tracks from the artist's album. If I like them I'll actually go out and buy the CD, if not the tracks are deleted and I never think of them again. It sounds weird but I actually have bought more CD's because of the file-sharing programs. I'm not naive enough to think that what I've done is not illegal (downloading music tracks off the internet) but there must be a way the record companies can work with the file-sharing companies to keep these services online. The actions the RIAA is taking now is just breeding contempt. And maybe I'm jaded, but I don't think their actions are actually looking out for the best interests of the individual artists. Lawyers and record companies seem to be the only ones profiting from all this litigation.
Old 10-05-01, 08:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by mtucker
[BI'm not naive enough to think that what I've done is not illegal (downloading music tracks off the internet) but there must be a way the record companies can work with the file-sharing companies to keep these services online. [/B]
This seems like a good idea to me. It's not like the people using these systems don't know it's illegal or will stop simply because one provider is no longer around. It appears that the companies biggest concern is a change that screws with their business model. Online availability and individually compiled CDs go directly against how they work. Still, IMO, the companies would be much better off if they started to rethink the way they do business. As you said, it would seem that the record companies could integrate the file-sharing companies and both could profit from the change.

With a little luck, even those of us buying music could come out of it better off.
Old 10-16-01, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RIAA Wants to Hack Your Computer

From Wired.com:

Look out, music pirates: The recording industry wants the right to hack into your computer and delete your stolen MP3s.

It's no joke. Lobbyists for the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) tried to glue this hacking-authorization amendment onto a mammoth anti-terrorism bill that Congress approved last week.

An RIAA-drafted amendment according to a draft obtained by Wired News would immunize all copyright holders -- including the movie and e-book industry -- for any data losses caused by their hacking efforts or other computer intrusions "that are reasonably intended to impede or prevent" electronic piracy.

Follow the link for the complete story.
Old 10-16-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 10-16-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen that where it says "if you're programming open source, you're programming communism"

they hack me, I'm hacking back, I'll call it self defense

Originally posted by mtucker
Old 10-16-01, 11:24 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Eh How can they proove I don't own the cds?

I take cd's to the office and listen to them then record some of them, and take the cd's back home.

I feel this is not going to happen, and let em get through my firewall anyway.
Old 10-16-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The worst thing is, they don't want to be liable if they screw up other data on your PC. "Ooops, we formatted your C: drive... well, you shouldn't have been pirating MP3's, you filthy pirate!"
Old 10-16-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it is legal to have the songs if you own the cd. I own alot of cds, I think this is crap
Old 10-17-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It almost makes me want to become a hacker myself so that I can learn to protect myself from my own government.

Funny thing is that when a friend gave me some illegal MP3's of Linkin Park I loved the songs so much I bought the album.
Old 10-17-01, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
It almost makes me want to become a hacker myself so that I can learn to protect myself from my own government.

Funny thing is that when a friend gave me some illegal MP3's of Linkin Park I loved the songs so much I bought the album.
I've done that same thing myself quite a few times. Most recently with the new System Of A Down CD. I downloaded all the tracks and listened to them 8 or 10 times and I decided to go out and buy it.
Old 10-17-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like another internet rumor run wild to me. Anyone have any reliable sources?