Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

any early reviews of the new New Order?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard the new album yet? I'd love to hear some opinions from real people besides critics. I like the single, Crystal ( I think that's what it's called) And I like most of their albums.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: any early reviews of the new New Order?

Originally posted by tofubomb
Has anyone heard the new album yet? I'd love to hear some opinions from real people besides critics. I like the single, Crystal ( I think that's what it's called) And I like most of their albums.
Hey, I'm a real person!

But unfortunately I've also only heard the single. I meant to post this a while ago: The new New Order sounds a lot like the old New Order. The lyrics have me scratching my head a bit, though. "Here comes love / It's like honey / You can't buy / It with money." Well, that's all well and good, but just the other day I went to the grocery store, picked out a jar of honey and bought it. With money!!! What the...?
Old 10-16-01, 08:55 PM

Here I am to piss you off.

Since this is a New Order thread, i'll post the fact that a New Order DVD was recently released in case you didn't know. It has lots of goodies including videos and rare live performances. the catch is that it's only out in Region 2!!!!!!!

There, now doesn't that make you want to take up arms against this ridiculous DVD Region idea??

We're also missing out on the new Suede videos DVD as well as the Stereophonics DVD which has been out for a while already. Ash have a DVD out too!!!!! Region 2.

Of course N-Sync,Tool, Kid Rock or Mariah Carrey DVD's are easy to come by here in the states. It's because thats what you're supposed to be into, silly!

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/allukmusic
for those whose musical tastes are east of the Atlantic.
Old 10-17-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
The new album is great. Got a chance to hear it in it's entirety on Spinner a few weeks ago. They played it continuously for days. Classic New Order sound. Fans will be pleased.
Old 10-17-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Onion is usually down to earth, not too critic-y

http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub...7.html#review2

New Order
Get Ready (Buy It!)
(Reprise)

More than any other band born in the '80s, New Order has remained immune to the dulling effects of nostalgia. Though it grew out of a time-specific union of post-punk, new wave, and electro, the group's signature sound has reasserted and reinvented its influence over the years, as countless rock and dance acts borrowed ingredients from its elemental recipe. New Order's contextual slipperiness makes Get Ready both a regressive return to form and a progressive triumph. Taking cues from the band's earliest post-Joy Division work, Get Ready bursts with the manic energy largely absent from 1993's middling Republic, as well as bandleader Bernard Sumner's last lumbering record with Electronic. The album-opening "Crystal" rushes with driving force, pairing Sumner's oxidized guitar textures with frantic electro sizzle and the kind of four-note bass line that begs for movie-montage treatment. Elsewhere, "60 Miles An Hour" keeps the pace with a patented New Order high-neck bass hook and a gorgeous synth interlude that should sound more dated than it does. Most of Get Ready gushes with huge melodies and luscious production that gives the group's tight structures room to breathe while tastefully tipping its cap to trance. The slower tracks, including the Billy Corgan-sung "Turn My Way," the ambient-jungle-indebted "Someone Like You," and the embarrassing love song "Run Wild" achieve mixed results. But the only outright failure is "Rock The Shack," a misguided collaboration with Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie, whose preening Stones-like bluster has never sounded more out of place. Not without occasionally indifferent low points, Get Ready still boasts enough Substance-grade singles to readjust New Order's currency for inflation. —Andy Battaglia
Old 10-17-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had it for 2 weeks (the album came out in Europe and Hong Kong earlier than in the US), and I have to say that it is pretty good. If you like "Crystal", you'll like the rest of the album - except for "Rock the Shack", which really does suck.
Old 10-17-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks guys. i guess i'll check it out