Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Along Came a Spider

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Along Came a Spider

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-01, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait for this movie to come out (April 6), but Morgan Freeman is probably my favorite actor; one of the all time greats IMO. I've read mixed things about the film, but the trailer looks pretty good, reminds me of his role in Seven. Anyone else's thoughts?
Old 03-17-01, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, it's cool that

Morgan Freeman is playing Detective Alex Cross AGAIN, in this sequel to:

KISS THE GIRLS

This is actually

KISS THE GIRLS 2: ALONG CAME A SPIDER

No Ashley Judd this time.

Old 03-17-01, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Yes, it's cool that

Morgan Freeman is playing Detective Alex Cross AGAIN, in this sequel to:

KISS THE GIRLS

This is actually

KISS THE GIRLS 2: ALONG CAME A SPIDER

No Ashley Judd this time.

Not quite true. This is a prequel to Kiss the Girls with the events in the movie taking place before what transpired in Kiss the Girls.

I never cared for Kiss the Girls. Not that I hated it, it just seemed kind of blah. No effect either way, which is actually worse than having a strong hate for a movie I think. I was down on this, but after seeing the trailer, I think it has a promising storyline and looked decent enough to warrant a trip to the theater when it comes out. As Mafia said, Freeman is one of the all-time greats.
Old 03-18-01, 12:22 AM

I can't wait to see this movie also it looks like a good movie . I'll be there when it opens
Old 03-18-01, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Freeman totally rocks the most, it's hard to believe I grew up watching him as E-Z Reader.

Aren't there a lot of Alex Cross novels? He should be able to turn this into a long-running franchise.
Old 03-18-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did anyone see Monica Potter's cover on Maxim/Stuff/FHM (I get them all confused)? She's hot! And she's also in this film. I take it that Alex Cross survives this prequel to KTG?
Old 03-18-01, 11:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Aren't there a lot of Alex Cross novels? He should be able to turn this into a long-running franchise.
There are six, and they've all been bestsellers. I imagine that Freeman could do them as long as he wanted.
Old 03-19-01, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Along Came a Spider

The book is one of my favorites! A great thrill-ride, page-turner. Not shakespeare, but that's not what I'm looking for in an exciting read.

I hope the movie can live up to my expecations!

Morgan Freeman should have an Oscar by now!!!!!!
Old 03-20-01, 05:06 AM
Banned

As many of you know, I'm a little bit older than many of the posters on this board so let's get one thing straight. I'm not a big fan of Morgan Freeman. He swears too much for my taste.
Old 03-20-01, 12:41 PM

Those CG shots in the trailer look terrible, but I'll line up on opening night. Isn't it odd that Tommy Lee Jones and Freeman keep taking the same types of roles that really brought them fame? Jones is in yet another fugitive movie due out later this year.
Old 03-22-01, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I'll give this film a chance for the actors involved. Love Freeman and Potter, well, SCHWING!!!
Hard to believe, but Monica Potter is a mother of two boys, 10 and 6. I never would have guessed.
Old 03-22-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Along Came a Spider

Originally posted by cineman

Morgan Freeman should have an Oscar by now!!!!!!

I totally agree here!! The man is just great in everything he is in.
Old 03-22-01, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

i read that the test screenings for this were horrible, so i hope they were able to fix it. Lee Tahmori(SP?) hasnt made a good film since Once Were Warriors, the rest have been awful, Mulholland Falls, The Edge, and prove it doesnt matter what talent he's got in his cast, he can still ruin it.
Old 03-22-01, 05:05 PM

Is it just me, or is it becoming kind of eye-rollingly cliche to hear Morgan Freeman donning his ultra-serious voice and speaking words like, "This is a game," and "He's playing with us."

C'mon, Morgan. You're a great actor, and you simply can't outdo Seven in the modern serial killer genre. Break out of this.
Old 03-22-01, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by iaido
i read that the test screenings for this were horrible, so i hope they were able to fix it. Lee Tahmori(SP?) hasnt made a good film since Once Were Warriors, the rest have been awful, Mulholland Falls, The Edge, and prove it doesnt matter what talent he's got in his cast, he can still ruin it.
I really enjoyed The Edge and though Mulholland Falls was a decent enough film. But maybe I am alone?
Old 03-22-01, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Steve Russell
Is it just me, or is it becoming kind of eye-rollingly cliche to hear Morgan Freeman donning his ultra-serious voice and speaking words like, "This is a game," and "He's playing with us."

C'mon, Morgan. You're a great actor, and you simply can't outdo Seven in the modern serial killer genre. Break out of this.
He's played everything from a cowboy figure (Unforgiven) to the President (Deep Impact), so he does different things. C'mon, that's like saying Al Pacino has played too many Mafiosos.
Old 03-23-01, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
Originally posted by iaido
I really enjoyed The Edge and though Mulholland Falls was a decent enough film. But maybe I am alone?
I agree, I thought the Edge was a very entertaining movie. I mean, it's no masterpiece, but a very entertaining adventure movie. One of the few recent Alec Baldwin movies I liked.
Old 03-24-01, 01:26 AM
Banned

Does anyone suspect that he might have a contract with Paramount and had to make this movie!??He's been in the following Paramount movies: Deep Impact,Hard Rain,Kiss The Girls and now Along came a Spider!
Old 04-03-01, 05:35 PM
Banned

I actually think this looks entertaining.
Old 04-07-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Review: The poorly animated dam scene in the beginning worried me, but that was the low point of the movie. From there, everything really was suspenseful IMO. The main plot twist was one that no one was expecting, the entire audience let out a gasp. The story seemed pretty good as well, although the scene with Det. Cross running across DC was maybe a little stretch. Overall, this was surprisingly good and didn't need to be stretched out into the usual 2-hour Hollywood product. Best of all though, is watching Freeman give his usual stellar performance.
Old 04-07-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
When cross was going from payphone to payphone, didn't it seem a little too much like Die Hard 3???
Old 04-07-01, 08:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sir Pablo:

Spoiler:
Or Dirty Harry
Old 04-07-01, 08:55 PM

I agree with Mafia81RCV on the dam scene. Also I thought the movie was a little slow at first but I think the twist at the end made up for it. I enjoyed it.
Old 04-07-01, 11:11 PM

C -

With the exception of Morgan Freeman this movie is a stinker.

Plot twists seem to be de rigeur for movies these days and this one is not only unbelievable but stupid. Yeah I would have never guessed the ending......... because its so ludicrous. Lets just say my reaction was equivalent to watching a British period drama then all of a sudden alien spaceships come out and zap everyone onscreen. (Well actually that would be cool) Just because its a surprise doesn't make it a good ending.

Yes, the CGI car crash effect was horrendous.

Yes, Monica Potter is definately Julia Robert's evil twin (even down to their voices), or is it vice versa? That was the weirdest part of the movie.

Yes, this movie has smart-alecky precocious kids, be warned.

And no, the mysterious and menacing villain is neither mysterious nor very menacing.

I would have preferred to re-watch Silence of the Lambs, SE7EN, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer or read one of John Douglas's (the real profiler) books.

[Edited by Ian11 on 04-07-01 at 09:14 PM]
Old 04-09-01, 04:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Now what gets me... Having seen the movie and comparing it to the trailer, there are two scenes that were missing from the final edit of the movie. One is the reuniting of Megan with her parents and the other where Monica Potter's character is speculating that higher political powers have controlled the kidnapping. Since what I have read, that post preview editing might have chopped these scenes, the way the trailer works also manipulated the viewer into thinking the story was going to go into other directions. Maybe it was badly edited trailer, but in a way it almost tricked it's audiences as to what to expect in terms of the film's story structure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.