Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 96th Academy Awards --> 2024 Oscar Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How would you rate the 96th Academy Awards?
16.00%
36.00%
8.00%
4.00%
4.00%
0%
Will not watch/don't care
32.00%
What are you watching it high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

The 96th Academy Awards --> 2024 Oscar Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts
Re: The 96th Academy Awards --> 2024 Oscar Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Willem Dafoe is like the 49ers of the Oscars where he did all this great work over the decades but has no hardware or trophies to show for it.
For those that don't follow football, the 49ers are actually one of the most successful franchises in NFL history and have plenty of hardware to show for it. Jeff is just completely insufferable.

The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Abob Teff (03-17-24), Jaymole (03-17-24)
Old 03-17-24, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Willem Dafoe is like the 49ers of the Oscars where he did all this great work over the decades but has no hardware or trophies to show for it.
If Dafoe was like the 49ers he would have 5 Oscars
Old 03-17-24, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
For those that don't follow football, the 49ers are actually one of the most successful franchises in NFL history and have plenty of hardware to show for it. Jeff is just completely insufferable.
At this point, I’m not sure Jeff is even a 49ers fan and has just been giving us an Andy Kaufman-esque performance over the years.
Old 03-17-24, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

It has become as obnoxious as stvn1974 Nolan rants...

Old 03-17-24, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
My point was not that Bruce Willis deserved the honor more than Jackson. My point was that they give them out to acknowledge a lifetime achievement in the industry. I don't view Willis and Jackson as that different. Neither one has pursued their acting careers as Artistes. Tom Cruise doesn't have an acting Oscar or a bunch of nominations, but he surely deserves to be honored by the Academy for his career. Because of his tragic circumstances forcing him to retire, I think it would have been great if Willis was so honored, and it would have meant a lot to people to see it.

To your other point, Jackson received his Oscar TWO years ago in 2022. The 2022 Oscars were held on March 27. Willis announced retirement on March 30, 2022. So the possibility was there to give Willis an Oscar last year in 2023. IDK if he was in a place where he could appeared to accept the award, but if he was, it would have been a great moment. Everybody keeps saying that the Oscars don't have any must-see moments anymore. So there it is.
There might be the possibilty that Bruce Willis mind is already too far gone to attend such an event, but I do agree that his career merits a recogonition for his contribution to the movies. The last 10 years would have left a bad taste, but in hindsight he probably did most of those direct to dvd movies, because he wasn't able to do more complex stuff. For me, his impressive career end with Sin City 2, although I liked him in Once Upon a Time in Venice and Motherless Brooklyn a couple of years later.
Death Wish and Glass weren't a good farewell.

Old 03-17-24, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
There might be the possibilty that Bruce Willis mind is already too far gone to attend such an event, but I do agree that his career merits a recogonition for his contribution to the movies. The last 10 years would have left a bad taste, but in hindsight he probably did most of those direct to dvd movies, because he wasn't able to do more complex stuff. For me, his impressive career end with Sin City 2, although I liked him in Once Upon a Time in Venice and Motherless Brooklyn a couple of years later.
Death Wish and Glass weren't a good farewell.
I think it is more than a possibility now. That's why I wished that they had hurried up and done it in 2023.

I have it on good authority that the Academy has been trying to set up an honorary Oscar for Dafoe for years. They keep sending emails to william.dafoe@gmail but they never get any reply.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (03-17-24)
Old 03-17-24, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
It has become as obnoxious as stvn1974 Nolan rants...
But is it as obnoxious as Nolan's fans?
Ash Ketchum (03-18-24)
Old 03-17-24, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974
But is it as obnoxious as Nolan's fans?
Maybe stay off Reddit?
Old 03-17-24, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

That was 29 years ago or generations ago before celllphones and HDTV.

Cowboys have a 28 year drought and Washington a 31 year drought so they are all in the same boat or close to it.

Dafoe should have gotten it for the Florida Project.
Old 03-17-24, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was 29 years ago or generations ago before celllphones and HDTV.

Cowboys have a 28 year drought and Washington a 31 year drought so they are all in the same boat or close to it.

Dafoe should have gotten it for the Florida Project.

If San Fran, Dallas, and DC are all in he same boat, then Cleveland is down at the bottom of the ocean with Jack and that motherfucking necklace.
Old 03-24-24, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

This just came across my timeliness. The way they recapped the Best Picture nominees was cool AF, and it only took a minute of screen time to do them all. So much better than this year, giving out the award with no list of nominees before. They need to go back to this.
And Grand Budapest Hotel should have won!
story (03-24-24)
Old 03-24-24, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ 100% the way to do it. And the presenter can pre-record reading the list of nominees so they don’t fumble their way through the list live.
Old 03-24-24, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The animations are cool, but I actually like to see clips of the movies in question. When they don't show clips, the movies become almost ephemeral. Just names on a list to be read aloud. I don't remember that particular ceremony (or if I even watched it), but one thing I think the Oscars needs to do a better job of is giving the films context and helping viewers understand why they're great. I thought the actors introducing other actors this past year was a little clunky and awkward, but I appreciated the spirit behind it.
Abob Teff (03-30-24)
Old 03-24-24, 10:30 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

My eyes see... a better way to do it!
Old 03-24-24, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I know they won’t do this, but one possible solution is reduce the BP pool back to five. The expansion still feels weird years later, and every year there’s those three or four movies that have absolutely no chance of winning. Then you can show all the clips at the final moment with no pressure.
Old 03-24-24, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The animations are cool, but I actually like to see clips of the movies in question. When they don't show clips, the movies become almost ephemeral. Just names on a list to be read aloud. I don't remember that particular ceremony (or if I even watched it), but one thing I think the Oscars needs to do a better job of is giving the films context and helping viewers understand why they're great. I thought the actors introducing other actors this past year was a little clunky and awkward, but I appreciated the spirit behind it.
They can still show clips of the nominees throughout the show. It’s just when it comes time to announce BP, it’s easier to just show a few seconds of animations to recap which films were nominated.

I like the idea of talking a little more about WHY the films are great. Maybe they could do that throughout the show when they show off the clips of each nominee.
Old 03-24-24, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I know they won’t do this, but one possible solution is reduce the BP pool back to five. The expansion still feels weird years later, and every year there’s those three or four movies that have absolutely no chance of winning. Then you can show all the clips at the final moment with no pressure.
Then we’ll be back to movies no one has seen.
Old 03-24-24, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 244 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This just came across my timeliness. The way they recapped the Best Picture nominees was cool AF, and it only took a minute of screen time to do them all. So much better than this year, giving out the award with no list of nominees before. They need to go back to this.
If they did it like the Remembrance segment, it would take like five seconds
story (03-24-24)
Old 03-24-24, 02:38 PM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Animations: Cool.

Sean Penn's Joke: Lame.

IIRC, they still showed all of the nominees throughout the evening, so this moment was not each film's only moment. They showed scenes of each. But as for the actual award moment, I think those animations were excellent.
GoldenJCJ (03-24-24)
Old 03-24-24, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I have a way to showcase all the nominees and the film history. This would be a 3 minute ish bit with audience interaction, linking all of the movies, six degree style. Some comedic linkings, some serious, and trying to refer to nominees and people in attendance. Written in an approximation of Jimmy Kimmel's voice. It would be planned so the appropriate audience members would be ready to react, but sound like it's being done on the fly. If possible have everyone named stand up at the end to show the connections, and display brief images of the linking movie but then permanently display the images of the nominated movies as they're named. There's multiple ways to link things, but a fun one:

We've got ten great movies nominated for Best Picture tonight, and I want to show you how they're all related. Oppenheimer, was of course directed by Christopher Nolan, who has worked with Leonardo DiCaprio, who stars in Killers of the Flower Moon, directed by the great Martin Scorsese. Now Martin has previously worked with Margot Robbie in The Wolf of Wall Street. Margot is here tonight as producer and star of Barbie, which also stars Ryan Gosling (yes, you can stand now Ryan) who has worked with Bradley Cooper (who by the way has also worked with Paul Giamatti - no don't stand yet Paul, we'll get back to you), who stars in Maestro. Maestro features the music of Leonard Bernstein, who provided the score for West Side Story (which also stars Rita Moreno, say hi to Lovely Rita), who was in Fast X featuring The Rock (hi Rock), who was in Jungle Cruise with Paul Giamatti (Okay now you can stand, Paul), who was in The Holdovers, directed by Alexander Payne, who also directed Sideways. Sideways was scored by Rolfe Kent, who also scored Slums of Beverly Hills which features Rita Moreno – oh we already said Rita Moreno, hello again Rita – how do I get to Poor Things….oh yeah, Slums of Beverly Hills has Alan Arkin, who was in Dumbo with Michael Keaton. Why didn't I just go from Martin to Mark Ruffalo…anyway, Michael Keaton was in Birdman with Emma Stone, star of Poor Things, which features Willem Dafoe. Willem was in Asteroid City, directed by Wes Anderson (who’s…yeah he’s not here but hi anyway Wes), which also stars Jeffrey Wright, star of American Fiction, which also stars Issa Rae. Issa provided a voice in Across the Spider-Verse, and you know who else did? Greta Lee, star of Past Lives. Hi Greta. Okay, almost there, so Greta was also in St. Vincent with Bill Murray who provided the voice of Baloo in The Jungle Book. And Baloo’s pal Bagheera? That’s Ben Kingsley (who was also in Henry Sugar, Wes, why aren’t you here), who was in Sexy Beast directed by Jonathan Glazer, director of The Zone of Interest, starring Sandra Huller, who is also in Anatomy of a Fall.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-24-24 at 03:19 PM.
Abob Teff (03-30-24)
Old 03-24-24, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

^Yeah, I don't think they want to highlight how insular Hollywood is. At least, no more than the awards already do.
Old 03-24-24, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that might be the no-go factor. And voice acting is basically a cheat code.
Old 03-24-24, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They show clips of the movies throughout the show.
Old 03-24-24, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
They can still show clips of the nominees throughout the show. It’s just when it comes time to announce BP, it’s easier to just show a few seconds of animations to recap which films were nominated.

I like the idea of talking a little more about WHY the films are great. Maybe they could do that throughout the show when they show off the clips of each nominee.
Didn't see this post before I posted.

And talking about the movies would be great!
Old 03-28-24, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

There was only one honor left for Nolan to receive this year, and now he has it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.