Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Promised Land (2024, D: Arcel) S: Mads Mikkelsen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-30-24, 10:27 AM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

In theaters February 2

In 18th century Denmark, Captain Ludvig Kahlen (Mads Mikkelsen) a proud, ambitious, but impoverished war hero -- sets out to tame a vast, uninhabitable land on which seemingly nothing can grow. He seeks to start farming crops, build a colony in the name of the King, and gain a noble title for himself. This beautiful but forbidding area also happens to be under the rule of the merciless Frederik De Schinkel, a preening nobleman who realizes the threat Kahlen represents to his power. Struggling against the elements and local brigands, Kahlen is joined by a couple who have fled the clutches of the rapacious De Schinkel. As this group of misfits begins to build a small community in this inhospitable place, De Schinkel swears vengeance, and the confrontation between him and Kahlen promises to be as violent and intense as these two men.

Starring Mads Mikkelsen, Amanda Collin, Gustav Lindh, Melina Hagberg
Written by Anders Thomas Jensen, Nikolaj Arcel
Directed by Nikolaj Arcel
This will have a theatrical release starting this week. I do see it screening at one of my locals AMCs.

From the same team behind Riders of Justice... and many other Mikkelsen films.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_promised_land_2023
Old 02-08-24, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: The Promised Land (2024, D: Arcel) S: Mads Mikkelsen

I went to a screening this afternoon; today was the last day it was available to watch in my area, only out for a week. A real shame that this is clearly not going to make any money, but it's an excellent movie.

Mads is excellent, as usual. The villain is great, very easy to root against. Based on a true story but I'm curious which parts of the story are embellished or straight up made up to make the movie more interesting, like the dark skinned girl (is she also based on a historical character?), the villain's expected wife falling for Mads and helping him (got Braveheart vibes from that relationship), etc.

If you can find a screening, I highly recommend it. Definitely worth a watch