Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP: Ryan O’Neal - Dead at 82

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 03:58 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Ryan O’Neal, the Oscar-nominated Love Story actor who starred in some of the most memorable movies of the 1970s, from What’s Up, Doc and Paper Moon to Barry Lyndon, has died. He was 82.

His death was announced by son Patrick O’Neal on Instagram.
Ryan was a very generous man who has always been there to help his loved ones for decade upon decade. Those same people are heartbroken today and will be for a long time. My everlasting thanks to his team. Our team. Marly you are so special to Ryan. You have been with our family for 39 years. Needed you every day. Greg and Melanie thank you for your care and friendship with my dad. I’m so sorry. Hart having you with me by my side was so important for me. And you. Alexandra. You are a true champion. Thank you so much. You are family. Dr. Piro thank you for your love and care for my father. You have quite a history together. There are many many many others who my father touched. And who love him. This is just so hard for us. Ryan made such an impact and this will be difficult without him. This is and will be a huge void in our lives. And his dogs Mozart and Raven, who he loved dearly, are missing him very much. They were inseparable.

I will share my father’s legacy forever. I will not be deterred from outside voices that say negative things. If you choose to talk shit about my dad, even though you have no clue what you are talking about, you will get called out. If you go that route, I recommend you take a good look in the mirror first.

My dad was 82, and lived a kick ass life. I hope the first thing he brags about in Heaven is how he sparred 2 rounds with Joe Frazier in 1966, on national TV, with Muhammad Ali doing the commentary, and went toe to toe with Smokin’ Joe. YouTube has it and trust me, it’s so awesome. Ryan by a majority decision. He loved boxing. And hitting the bag. My dad is a proud member of the West Coast Boxing Hall of Fame.

Ryan never bragged. But he has bragging rights in Heaven. Especially when it comes to Farrah. Everyone had the poster, he had the real McCoy. And now they meet again. Farrah and Ryan. He has missed her terribly. What an embrace that must be. Together again.

I’ll miss you dad. I love you. We love you.

No one told a story better than Ryan O’Neal.
4/20/41 ~ 12/8/2023
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (12-09-23)
Old 12-08-23, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts
Re: RIP: Ryan O’Neal - Dead at 82

Very sad news. I know his son Patrick personally. We worked together for a number of years. Patrick really loved his Dad. You could see it in his social media posts.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Ash Ketchum (12-09-23), Decker (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 939 Likes on 600 Posts

Someone was gonna do it…

R.I.P. he was a solid actor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Toddarino:
bchbdaddy (12-08-23), Spiderbite (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1,129 Likes on 654 Posts

Damn, I just scratched The Driver off my watch list last week
Ash Ketchum (12-09-23)
Old 12-08-23, 04:40 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Damn, I just scratched The Driver off my watch list last week
The price on the UHD via Amazon Global just dropped too!

Maybe I’ll watch Paper Moon tonight.
Old 12-08-23, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 830 Posts

I'm saddened to hear this news. Paper Moon is one of those movies I get sucked into, every time it's on.

RIP
The following 2 users liked this post by andicus:
Hubbub (12-09-23), Kurt D (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Sad news.

Surprisingly, I’ve never seen much of his work.
Old 12-08-23, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,263 Likes on 900 Posts

Starred in 3 of my favorite 70s movies: What's Up Doc, Paper Moon, Nickelodeon.

I think Paper Moon is very under-rated as one of the 70s best movies. I'll take it over The Last Detail or Mean Streets
Old 12-08-23, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 227 Posts

"Paper Moon" is one of my top 10 favorite movies from the 70's. Along with "The Last Picture Show". Another Peter Bogdanovich film. I watch both 2-3 times a year. I also enjoyed Ryan in "Barry Lyndon", "What's Up Doc?", "Chances Are" and "Irreconcilable Differences". I don't recall seeing "Nickelodeon". But always wanted to. Also directed by Bogdanovich. Been waiting for that to come out on Blu-ray and would have blind purchased it. But at this point, doubt it will ever be released. I'll rent on Amazon. For any other Bogdanovich fan, you must seek out the Criterion release of "Texasville" with "The Last Picture Show". Finally in B&W and it looks superb!
Old 12-09-23, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 314 Likes on 238 Posts

Loved him in WHAT'S UP, DOC?, PAPER MOON, BARRY LYNDON, THE DRIVER and two films I may be the only one here to have seen: THE BIG BOUNCE (1969), based on an Elmore Leonard novel and co-starring his then-wife and "Peyton Place" co-star, Leigh Taylor-Young; and TOUGH GUYS DON'T DANCE (1987), directed by Norman Mailer based on his own novel and co-starring the formidable Lawrence Tierney as O'Neal's father.

Old 12-09-23, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,263 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
" I don't recall seeing "Nickelodeon". But always wanted to. !
The movie was considered mediocre and a failure when released. Watching it on repeated showings on TV when I was growing up, I knew enough about the silent era to be interested in this story and the recreation of the era, but I was not so familiar as to be put off by Bogdanovich's screwball take, which it seems many critics were. I remember watching it whenever it was on TV, and always finding it good fun with some dramatic weight. I probably had a crush on Tatum, too.
Old 12-09-23, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Let's not forget his roles in "So Fine" and "Partners". I always thought of him as a dirt bag for the way he treated his kids. The abuse and neglect. He was also a wife beater as well. And then him trying to pick up on Tatum at Farrah's funeral!
IBJoel (12-11-23)
Old 12-09-23, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 425 Likes on 285 Posts

Yeah, I appreciate his contributions to the film industry as an actor but it's hard to overlook how terribly he could treat people, those closest to him especially.
IBJoel (12-11-23)
Old 12-10-23, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

Sucks the guy's personal problems eclipsed his career. Lots of great movies mentioned above. Always liked his stoic performance in The Driver. He also played the guy who hires Bill Pullman's brilliant detective Daryl Zero in the underrated Zero Effect. A movie he made with Jacqueline Bisset The Thief Who Came To Dinner sticks in my mind for the odd reason I watched it one afternoon while cleaning and fixing a set of Atari 2600 paddles.
Old 12-10-23, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

First thing I ever saw him in was Paper Moon, when I was in grade school. It was instantly one of my favorite movies. Still is. He played a perfect charming scoundrel.
Next time I saw him in anything was The Main Event. Not a popular opinion, and I know it's no classic, but I still enjoy that film far more than What's Up Doc? His comic timing was underrated.

But the things that left the biggest impressions of him for me, were the anecdote about him Robert Evens relayed in Kid Stays In The Picture (book and audiobook), and the much of Tatum's memoir.
Art proficiency only goes so far, doesn't it?

Ryan never bragged. But he has bragging rights in Heaven. Especially when it comes to Farrah. Everyone had the poster, he had the real McCoy.
Is there a cringe emoji?
Old 12-10-23, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 424 Likes on 338 Posts

Although he never stopped acting until a few years ago, to me he was always the guy who used to be famous in the 70s. I've watched a couple of his movies, but the only one I've watched more than once is A Bridge Too Far and although he was the youngest of the stars in the movie, everyone else (Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Robert Redford, James Caan, Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery) wnet on to do great things, his career as a movie star kind of stopped a year later. Which reminds me that at least The Driver is a movie I always wanted to revisit.
Old 12-10-23, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

Well, some great movies and character flaws. RIP.
Old 12-11-23, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1,129 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
Yeah, I appreciate his contributions to the film industry as an actor but it's hard to overlook how terribly he could treat people, those closest to him especially.
Originally Posted by mickey65
Let's not forget his roles in "So Fine" and "Partners". I always thought of him as a dirt bag for the way he treated his kids. The abuse and neglect. He was also a wife beater as well. And then him trying to pick up on Tatum at Farrah's funeral!
I only found out about that stuff when I was listening to a podcast over the weekend. It sounds like he was outright physically abusive, hitting his daughter when she got an Oscar nomination over him
Old 12-11-23, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Is there a cringe emoji?
Either Roll Eyes might be closest: or
Old 12-11-23, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The movie was considered mediocre and a failure when released. Watching it on repeated showings on TV when I was growing up, I knew enough about the silent era to be interested in this story and the recreation of the era, but I was not so familiar as to be put off by Bogdanovich's screwball take, which it seems many critics were. I remember watching it whenever it was on TV, and always finding it good fun with some dramatic weight. I probably had a crush on Tatum, too.
I bit the bullet and bought "Nickelodeon" on DVD as an import from Amazon.co.uk since it's no longer available new in the U.S. Cheaper than used versions on Ebay. I almost bought the Blu-ray but the PQ is probably not that great so I started with this. I'm really looking forward to watching it since I loved most of Bogdanovich's 70's film. I just watched "What's Up Doc?" again this week for the first time and 30 years. Brought back so many memories seeing it many times when I was a kid.
Old 12-12-23, 06:23 AM
Political Exile

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I bit the bullet and bought "Nickelodeon" on DVD as an import from Amazon.co.uk since it's no longer available new in the U.S. Cheaper than used versions on Ebay. I almost bought the Blu-ray but the PQ is probably not that great so I started with this. I'm really looking forward to watching it since I loved most of Bogdanovich's 70's film. I just watched "What's Up Doc?" again this week for the first time and 30 years. Brought back so many memories seeing it many times when I was a kid.
Why not just rent the digital copy on Vudu or Amazon for $4?