Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most bankable star in Hollywood?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most bankable star in Hollywood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 288 Likes on 196 Posts
Re: Most bankable star in Hollywood?

This has always been my opinion on the subject. When people use the star's name instead of the film's title.

"Let's go see the new Clint Eastwood movie" not "Let's go see Pale Rider"

The franchise has replaced that. People don't say, "Let's go see the new Keanu Reeves movie" they say "Let's go see the new John Wick movie"

A bankable star is one who's name has the same box office appeal as the title of a franchise. The star is a franchise unto them self.

Another way to look at it. Physical media has franchise collections (Terminator, Alien, Bond, etc.). A bankable star would have their own box sets. "The Clint Eastwood Collection", etc. Or the title of the disc, in the biggest letters on cover, is CHARLES BRONSON DOUBLE FEATURE. Movie titles are smaller print.

Last edited by rw2516; 06-13-23 at 05:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
story (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,244 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
What about the women? No one current really comes to mind. 90s was Julia Roberts. Sandra Bullock is in there somewhere over the past 25 years.

Jennifer Lawrence probably comes closest. But I wouldn’t call her a bankable star.
We'll find out in a couple weeks
Old 06-13-23, 07:12 AM

Received 4,996 Likes on 3,381 Posts

Outside of franchises... nope... not really...

Old 06-13-23, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by L. Ron zyzzle
Concussion? After Earth? Focus? Seven Pounds?
I guess even further back then. Independence Day thru Hancock. Then I lost track.
Kurt D (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
BANK-able does not mean you are a star that draws audiences to your movies, it means the movies you star in make money because you are the star.

I'm certain there are many people who will see a movie just because Florence Pugh is its star, but she is not BANK-able until just her face on the poster guarantees big box office returns and profits.

If your movies don't make money, then you are not "money in the bank."
It won't be any of the actors in the MCU films. Outside of the MCU none of those actors' films make money, not even RDJ.
story (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Yeah I would've said Cruise too but then I remembered he made a Mummy film that I completely forgot about. But he's still a draw.

I can't think of any young actor that is a big draw though on name alone. Pratt is in a bunch of huge franchises but I don't think he's the draw.
Old 06-13-23, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,107 Likes on 2,109 Posts

The only real bomb I can think of that Cruise was in was Rock of Love.

Outside of that one, you really have to go back to his pre-superstar days to find films that lost money. Knight and Day might have broken even. And movies like Jack Reacher and Edge of Tomorrow probably wouldn't have performed as well as they did without him attached to them.

Even The Mummy, which killed the nascent Monsterverse franchise, did over $400M on a budget of under $200M.
Old 06-13-23, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Outside of that one, you really have to go back to his pre-superstar days to find films that lost money. Knight and Day might have broken even. And movies like Jack Reacher and Edge of Tomorrow probably wouldn't have performed as well as they did without him attached to them.

Even The Mummy, which killed the nascent Monsterverse franchise, did over $400M on a budget of under $200M.
True, looking it up, it only did 80 million domestic but 320 million overseas and a lot of that was due to Cruise's popularity, so I'd say he fits the bill (at least internationally) easily.
Old 06-13-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On a note related to the topic, I think that Universal scuttled their Dark Universe franchise because they were building it around star power and realized it would not be workable to pay out big bucks to A-list names like Cruise and Depp for modest returns.
Old 06-13-23, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Tom Cruise has been the most consistent bankable star for the longest period of time at 40 years now since Risky Business. He's had a knack with re-working similar successful formulas and making them seem fresh and yet took some real chances with projects like Interview With the Vampire, Magnolia etc.

He's never had a major box office flop. Even something like Cocktail still made the top ten of that year.

Other than decimating Oprah's couch and a few Scientology rants in the mid-2000s, he's had a pretty clean PR record too.
Old 06-13-23, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Tom Cruise has been the most consistent bankable star for the longest period of time at 40 years now since Risky Business. He's had a knack with re-working similar successful formulas and making them seem fresh and yet took some real chances with projects like Interview With the Vampire, Magnolia etc.

He's never had a major box office flop. Even something like Cocktail still made the top ten of that year.

Other than decimating Oprah's couch and a few Scientology rants in the mid-2000s, he's had a pretty clean PR record too.
He also looks exactly the same through whatever mix of magic/science/scientology, which helps a lot I'm sure.
Old 06-13-23, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerunner

And yet when Spielberg praises him, some people freak out.
Old 06-13-23, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 288 Likes on 196 Posts

Even at his height of popularity there would be wide discrepancies in box office of Eastwood films. Magnum Force $30M, High Plains Drifter $15M, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot $25M. Then Every Which Way But Loose rakes in $104M. Outlaw Josey Wales also brought in $15M. All are considered successful. Just because a Dirt Harry movie grosses twice as much as an Eastwood western does not diminish the westerns. Just because Every Which Way made several times what his other movies made does not make him a one hit wonder.
Old 06-13-23, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 216 Posts

As for the original post of Keanu Reeves, people seem to always forget about his 2003 - 2013 time frame. John Wick brought him back. He directorial/starring effort of Man of Tai Chi completely bombed right before that. In the years prior, comic nerds were upset that he was cast in Constantine. People were laughing at the trailer for The Day the Earth Stood Still. The mention of his name on certain forums during the early 2000s would lead people to mockingly comment "Whoah" or say he has no range.
IBJoel (06-14-23)
Old 06-13-23, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 961 Likes on 678 Posts

Yeah, perception of Keanu has made a 180 since the the third Matrix flick. He kinda disappeared for a bit and like you said was the butt of jokes. Wick righted his ship and swayed the public back in his corner.
Old 06-14-23, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Rock of Love with Bret Michaels? Ha...think you mean Rock of Ages.

Does Legend count as flop for Cruise? Was Eyes Wide Shut considered a box office success?
Old 06-14-23, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Does Legend count as flop for Cruise? Was Eyes Wide Shut considered a box office success?
The definition of a flop is sometimes a matter of perception.

Eyes Wide Shut was a small-scale (although big budget) personal film by serious film-maker and not meant to be a popcorn tent-pole summer extravaganza. It's still considered a well-respected quality film regardless of the box office.

Rock of Ages didn't do very well but Tom Cruise had more of a supporting role but still got points for taking on a risky choice and pulling-off the role. The failure didn't set him back and I don't think he was considered the reason for its under-performance.

I think Legend was more of a set-back for Ridley Scott than Tom Cruise who was overshadowed by the production values.
IBJoel (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Legend came out before Tom Cruise was Tom Cruise. At that point, he was more of a teen sensation with Risky Business under his belt.

His next film was Top Gun, and that's the one that really made him into a superstar and showed he could play adult characters in action and drama.
IBJoel (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 04:13 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,080 Likes on 897 Posts

I think people go see Brad Pitt when he’s in a movie. Not a lot of consistency, but I would think his name alone is theater worthy
Old 06-14-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,505 Likes on 2,231 Posts

Legend came out before Tom Cruise was Tom Cruise. At that point, he was more of a teen sensation with Risky Business under his belt.

His next film was Top Gun, and that's the one that really made him into a superstar and showed he could play adult characters in action and drama.
I think if there’s one movie flop we can pin directly to Cruise it would be The Mummy. It has his star power behind it and it sounds like it had the typical Tom Cruise power grab behind the scenes as well.
IBJoel (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1,128 Likes on 653 Posts

Chris Pratt has had a solid record since he really broke out. Of course, the rare times he does non-franchise work, it's a mixed bag.
Old 06-14-23, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think people go see Brad Pitt when he’s in a movie. Not a lot of consistency, but I would think his name alone is theater worthy
That means he's a movie star. Show me that Brad Pitt in a movie pretty much guarantees financial success, and then we are talking bankable . . . and I mean now, not in the 90s.

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Chris Pratt has had a solid record since he really broke out. Of course, the rare times he does non-franchise work, it's a mixed bag.
Is there such a thing as a "Chris Pratt Movie" that has ever made money? Idk. I know there are Marvel movies and Jurassic Park movies, in which he is the lead, that make money, but none of those are "Chris Pratt movies."
Old 06-14-23, 05:33 PM

Received 4,996 Likes on 3,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Is there such a thing as a "Chris Pratt Movie" that has ever made money? Idk. I know there are Marvel movies and Jurassic Park movies, in which he is the lead, that make money, but none of those are "Chris Pratt movies."
Nope.
Old 06-14-23, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1,128 Likes on 653 Posts

I do think he's a major reason why those films work and a smaller reason why they're successful. Passengers at least broke even. I do wonder how successful some stuf would be in different circumstances, replacing Pratt... or Cruise in Mission: Impossible, for example. Or large theatrical releases for stuff like Onward or The Tomorrow War. I do agree that franchises and IPs now just completely dominate what gets made.

I recall when Knight and Day came out and flopped, they were calling it "the death of the movie star".
Old 06-14-23, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I do think he's a major reason why those films work and a smaller reason why they're successful. Passengers at least broke even. I do wonder how successful some stuf would be in different circumstances, replacing Pratt... or Cruise in Mission: Impossible, for example. Or large theatrical releases for stuff like Onward or The Tomorrow War. I do agree that franchises and IPs now just completely dominate what gets made.

I recall when Knight and Day came out and flopped, they were calling it "the death of the movie star".
I've alway felt that Pacific Rim would have been a massive hit with Cruise in place of Hunnam ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.